Fall Nc Contest

anson

Oct is out for me - Climbing trip and BBB2 - have it later and I'm in!

Maybe bro. I am in for the BBB2.

-Jedd-

We know a number of you guys are going to the BBB2, so we're trying to set this up so it does not conflict. How about Sept 23 (Saturday)?

Man, Dane I was wanting to do your strongman contest, but that would be 2 weekends in Sept. that I'd be driving to Atlanta (coming down the 8th for a couple of Braves games).

I hope you can make it. If not, that's ok too. Have fun at the Braves game. I went twice this year, and they lost both, lol.

Arugh!!! - not enough weekends - you guys need to all retire so we can have stuff thru the week too :inno .

November is better, maybe even early December. BBB2 is already gonna cost me plenty of husband points:)

For record purposes it would be best (basically mandatory) if you can make it a yearly event, like a state championship (which could be an open contest including competitors from other states and countries).

A one off competition must have a more-or-less national scope for me to include the results in the records lists.

Mikael, I have a question.

Anson's already held one this year, along with Scott George and Jonathan Creason. What would be the difference between Anson's contests and say, Bob Lipinsky's in Michigan that he holds quarterly, more or less? Especially if the level of competition is of a high calibre, again like it was last time?

Thanks.

-Jedd-

A quarterly held competition is fine, just like the LGC was during its first three years of existence.

I define a one off competition as an event unrelated to any other by a longer term commitment of the organiser.

For example the LGC competition has an established name, occur at a more-less-regular interval and each competition is given a serial number. I would like to see the same in the Michigan competition if it is not already in place.

I don't want a situation where a number of guys get together at will with the main purpose of beating some records without any commitments to maintaining the competition next year.

That is my view.

I see what you mean. Thanks for the detail.

I think Anson is looking to put together a top quality show where big things happen.

-Jedd-

This comp is going to be a joint effort of me, Kevin, Jonathan and Scott. Kevin has offered to host the event. We're still working out the details. So far the competitor list includes:

Scott

Jonathan

Kevin

Tommy Heslep

Dave Morton

Chad Woodall

Troy Smith

me

I can do Nov 4th!

looks like the 4th of Nov. is the best date so far!!!

this will be a small scale Tarheel style contest. We are working on the events this weekend and will post up in the next few days. We are going to try some suggestions we received at GGC and from members of the GB. We will be testing a few of them to see if they are doable as events so be prepared for anything!!!! :rock

I don't want a situation where a number of guys get together at will with the main purpose of beating some records without any commitments to maintaining the competition next year.

That is my view.

Why does it matter? If the rules are followed, the weights are calibrated, and there are high caliber competitors, what's the problem? National scope?? Now out-of-state competitors must be present for stuff to count?? Serial numbers for grip competitions?? It seems like there are new stipulations added all the time regarding records, none of which have anything to do with actually lifting the amount of weight necessary to break the record. Can't wait to see what next month's installment is. Theoretically, if Anson stated this would be a yearly contest, someone broke a Vbar record, and then the contest didn't happen next year.....What would you do, erase the record (assuming it was still standing)?

That is my view.

Why does it matter? If the rules are followed, the weights are calibrated, and there are high caliber competitors, what's the problem? National scope?? Now out-of-state competitors must be present for stuff to count?? Serial numbers for grip competitions?? It seems like there are new stipulations added all the time regarding records, none of which have anything to do with actually lifting the amount of weight necessary to break the record. Can't wait to see what next month's installment is. Theoretically, if Anson stated this would be a yearly contest, someone broke a Vbar record, and then the contest didn't happen next year.....What would you do, erase the record (assuming it was still standing)?

This is not a new stipulation. I had a discussion with Clay last year on this topic. It would be good if Anson made a commitment and made it a yearly competition. If he then for whatever reason failed to keep the competition running it would not affect any records set.

Bringing some kind of order into the sport of grip will never make you popular in all quarters.

For record purposes it would be best (basically mandatory) if you can make it a yearly event, like a state championship (which could be an open contest including competitors from other states and countries).

A one off competition must have a more-or-less national scope for me to include the results in the records lists.

The results from small, one off competitions would still be eligible for the records list but not for WR in my view.

It is a difficult topic.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I get what you are saying here Mikael, but I think the NC guys are in the grip contest game for the long haul.

I can kind of think of what I would expect in a "record viable" comp, but it is hard to articulate it.