Plate Curls?

Guest omniexist

Guest omniexist

What is the propper form for a Plate curl? Manly does your wrist have to stay in line with your forarm or can it bend down durning the curl and come back into line with your forarm at the top of the curl?

I say it's ok for your wrists to bend back a little, like no more than about 20 degrees just because bending it more than that is kinda dangerous. Some guys are more anal about that though, they say the wrist can't be bent back at all.

Guest baldy
Some guys are more anal about that though, they say the wrist can't be bent back at all

Maybe because it goes from being a plate curl to a flat plate clean if you bend your wrist? I would think anyone with decent bicep (to curl) and thumb strength (to hold the plate stable) could heave up a 45 and catch it like they are carrying a pizza if bending of the wrist was allowed. If you pass one with a wrist bend, why not pass one where the guy takes 2 or 3 steps and then curls. That would be pretty.

If you allow your wrist to bend it obviously won't be a proper "strict" plate curl and probably wouldn't be passed in competition, so I don't think it's being anal - that's just the way the lift is performed. It would be like allowing a gripper closure against the leg. As for training the plate curl, I think you would still get a lot of benefit if you didn't allow your wrist to bend too far.

Guest Reverend

I would suggest that a trainee look at the reason he's training... generally, to get stronger.  Therefore, at least the way I do things, I make every exercise as hard as I possibly can.  There's no reason to go the easier route that I can see.