Bolt Brands

Justin Reagan

I've been kind of disappointed at myself the past few bending workouts. The first few workouts where I bent G5's, I got them really good. Even two in a row a couple times. Then I decided to order them over the internet--I found a place to get them a lot cheaper. Since then (and until today) I haven't even been able to bend one G5. Today, after warming up, I started with one of the G5's I had ordered off the net. A small kink is all I got. I thought to myself "have I really got that much weaker?" I have actually waited over a week, and I was feeling good. I then noticed all the bolts I had ordered off the net were of a different brand than anything else I had. They said "JH" on the head. Everything else I had was a "triangle" brand, or something else. So I decided to try one of my others. No problem. Even though I had put everything I had into the first G5, it still went down fast. I then decided to cut .25" off of one. Almost! If it weren't for that first missed bend, I'm almost for sure I would've got it, too. Afterwards, I'm not sure why, I tried a 6" G8. No such luck, but I did put a noticeable kink in it. If it weren't for the head of the bolt, I could probably put 3 or so pennies under one end when it's placed on the table. Not much, but it shows how hard those new G5's are!

Justin Reagan

Havent tried any JH bolts myself...but I have heard they are a bit harder than the Triangle bolts but its not that great of a jump...just keep at it man...I bought some 60D nails today and they are the same brand I have been bending but man they are as tough as my Grade5's in the kink but about the same in the crushdown! so everything varies abit good work on the grade 5's those are some tough suckers

I have 2 brands of grade 2s that are night and day difference. The easier one is BK. I've heard Lake Erie bolts are American made and very tough.

Tim

Justin,

In my experience bolt strengths between brands vary quite a bit. I bent a large number of JH Grade 5's before I tried an FBBC equivalent. As you can see from Eric's calibration thread there is a significant difference between the two.

I'm currently testing various brands of 6" * 5/16" Hex Grade 2 bolts. So far the results vary from around 300lbs up to 450lbs+ :blink The stuff made in China tends to be weaker than the domestically produced stuff.

At the end of the day it pays to shop around and try a few different brands (and wherever possible I'd suggest you try a few of the bolts before buying them in bulk - I've lucked out a number of times :( ).

Dave

I've never even noticed the specific "JH" brand bolts in Eric's list. It's nice to know that I'm not just imagining things. Of course, mine aren't black, but hopefully that's just a different finish...

I've tried a few 6"x5/16" G2's, and I just can't budge them. The most recent is the "HKT" brand. Have you tried one of those?

Thanks,

Justin

Here in Norway I can't even identify the different grades of the bolts.

We have stuff like 4.6, 5.6, 8.8, 14.9 etc. Dunno which one would equal a grade 5.

As long as I don't get an alloy steel bolt, I'm happy :D

I've tried a few 6"x5/16" G2's, and I just can't budge them. The most recent is the "HKT" brand. Have you tried one of those?

Not yet . . .I’m still discovering new brands to try :) If you want to know just how hard they are send a couple to Eric for calibrating. I've found that the initial kink is usually the hardest part of the bend for these type of bolts.

We have stuff like 4.6, 5.6, 8.8, 14.9 etc. Dunno which one would equal a grade 5.

They’re Metric Class bolts. A Class 8.8 is approximately the same as a Grade 5.

Check out:

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-informat...rade-Chart.aspx

and just to do your head in. . .you should read ALL :whacked this:

http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/22.html

Dave