Slegehammer Leverage

gripuru

Recently I started working with slegehammers and specifically strict leverage to the nose and back.

Someone can please tell me levering what weight is consider a great feat? (As closing nº3, lifting the Blob, pinch lifing 2 45´s, etc)

16lb, 20lb?

Thanks and God bless you all

25 would be great. 20 would probably come quick if alot more guys did leverage, but it is better than 99% of guys out there now.

I'd say 16 or a little more is about the equivalent of a #3 gripper.

Another thing, it is hard to compare stuff to slim's levering cause of the different dimensions. For the front loaded hammer setup you cut 6 inches or so off the ROM.

I wish Dave Morton would chim in more on this stuff! He got his start with levering, and probably knows more than I ever could.

Dave Morton is great at levering hammers!

-Jedd-

Bob with how much weight you can strict lever to nose and back?

Who are the best one´s at this feat in the world apart from Slim? John Wood, Josh Bigger, Dave Morton, Nick McKinless? and with how much weight they can strict lever?

Thanks and best wishes

At 31 inches, I have done 21.25 past the level of my head (with my arm length the hammer goes way past my nose) with my arm flat on a rest.

Dave is up there. I have no clue what he does (definitely 20+), but hopefully he will show up at my contest and do something cool.

Nick has done close to 20 in contest fashion, and much bigger weights in a looser fashion.

In some respects, Slim's lever style is "easier" because the loadable hammers allow for decreased ROM.

John does not do grip feats in public because being beaten may hurt sales.

This is what I have done with 21.25 and 22.5, not contest legal but decent feats of strength:

http://media.putfile.com/hammersagain

Allright, I was being a dick in that post! I've heard of John leveraging some big things but I really don't know what he can do. Sorry John!

I thought that it was said somewhere that It didnt matter how level your arm was to the ground but rather how level the hammer ends up to the ground...for max torque if you raise your arm up higher than your head and lever down almost to your shoulder...I can barely do this with a 10 pound sledge and Have been levering for quite a while...I seen a vid of Dan Praydis's son doing this and actually let the sledges touch his shoulders and then leveraged them back up...very impressive...I dont know how a contest does leverages...how far back are you supposed to let the hammer fall..just seems the more parallel to the floor the tougher the lever!

I thought that it was said somewhere that It didnt matter how level your arm was to the ground but rather how level the hammer ends up to the ground...for max torque if you raise your arm up higher than your head and lever down almost to your shoulder...I can barely do this with a 10 pound sledge and Have been levering for quite a while...I seen a vid of Dan Praydis's son doing this and actually let the sledges touch his shoulders and then leveraged them back up...very impressive...I dont know how a contest does leverages...how far back are you supposed to let the hammer fall..just seems the more parallel to the floor the tougher the lever!

When people say they lever to the nose this usually means arm parallel to the ground, straight out to the side. The hammer will be at an angle while it is touching the nose. This is considered "normal" levering. Raising your arm upand putting the hammer parallel with the ground creates more torque from the hammer.

When I guy levers a hammer that is too heavy it is very natural to dip the arm down below parallel to finish the lever. This move makes it much easier to lever and is why people are really critical about how strict you lever when you claim to be able to do a certain hammer.

Greg

P.S. Dave at his best is well over 20+ on hammers.

In this link, Tom Black writes that a "strict" lever should, basically, mean that the sledge is parallel to the ground, when the head touches your nose:

http://bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2/HammerMan.html

"I must emphasize that in order for an overhead sledgehammer lift to be considered strict the hand must be held up at least as high as your head. Below that point, the torque is significantly reduced."

It's common sense: The lever will be the hardest, when the handle is parallel to the ground. To get this, your hand should be at the same height as your head.

However, it seems to me that in every picture or clip I've seen of anybody levering -- including Slim the Hammer Man -- their hand is well below their head when the lever touches their nose.

I know when I lever, my hand is closer to the ground than my face, and the angle of the hammer when the head touches my forehead is somewhere between, I'd guess, 30-45 degrees -- way, way short of "parallel."

And I think nearly everyone does it that way. If you do it with the arm parallel to the ground, then the angle of the hammer will be around 30-45 degrees, I think, definitely not 90 degrees.

So far I have seen Dave Morton and Eli Keiner lever 20# at GGC 05 (contest). I watched Bob do a very strict 20# at his Michigan contest and just miss at 21.25# I think it was. I've seen my son Sean do a pretty loose 20# to the head (not contest). And I watched John Wood do a 22# sledge like a darn toy at the Great Black Swamp Picnic - I know John doesn't compete or post videos guys - but don't for a second underestimate his forearm and grip strength. We mere mortals played with all the sledges for a while and then when he thought no one was watching John went over and just toyed with it - I wish I had had my camcorder on. And he had more in the tank guys - looked to me like a whole lot more!

I think we should go Slim style and start them from the floor - not for contest purposes as it would be way hard to judge - but if you want some serious wrist strength - start doing them that way.

I'd like to add that contest style normally means the arm in up on some type of board -rack set up that keeps the arm level with the floor - and yes it is harder that way than with the arm free to move,

So far I have seen Dave Morton and Eli Keiner lever 20# at GGC 05 (contest). I watched Bob do a very strict 20# at his Michigan contest and just miss at 21.25# I think it was. I've seen my son Sean do a pretty loose 20# to the head (not contest). And I watched John Wood do a 22# sledge like a darn toy at the Great Black Swamp Picnic - I know John doesn't compete or post videos guys - but don't for a second underestimate his forearm and grip strength. We mere mortals played with all the sledges for a while and then when he thought no one was watching John went over and just toyed with it - I wish I had had my camcorder on. And he had more in the tank guys - looked to me like a whole lot more!

I think we should go Slim style and start them from the floor - not for contest purposes as it would be way hard to judge - but if you want some serious wrist strength - start doing them that way.

I Think thatwas a 24# hammer Chris if i remember right. It was big none the less. I will see if I have a pic of the hammer somewhere. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=4572 I found it.

Edited by nickr104

My son Sean tried it and came kind of close in a very loose style, good control on the lower but coundn't get it all the way back up - I tried it and was lucky to get my head out of the way :tongue . The sledge lift Stew is doing in the picture was a lot of fun. Starting on the ground take it to the full dead lift position - then you curl them and press them overhead - one to try if you're bored boys. Two hammers of the same weight are easier than two different weights. It was great having all those hammers to play with. A few of us could dead lift 2 20s and we tried getting them overhead - not sure if anyone made it clear up with the 20's by the ends but I know Stew and I and maybe others did the 16s to overhead.

So what im gathering is that it is easier to contest a leverage event by holding the arm parallel to the floor and have it strapped in to make sure everyone is at the same vantage point rather than trying to hold the arm straight out in front as high as the head and having the hammer parallel....that makes since to me keeps it at more of a standard.....thanks for clearing that up guys...I wasnt trying to take anything away from anyone was just trying to clear things up a bit.