Possible Fl Contest?

Wes

Over at grippermania, we were thinking about organizing a grip contest in Florida. Here's some initial stuff that has been put forward, and if anyone has any ideas, please post them here. :rock

QUOTE(porkchop @ Jun 29 2006, 09:06 PM)

Yeah, we definately need to work something out. I'm not sure where the most centralized location would be, but I'd be willing to host it or even drive a couple of hours to spend some time getting to know some of my fellow FL grip buddies. I am sure Gator would be up for it too as we have discussed it a couple of times.

Lets shoot for something maybe in August. My July schedule is pretty packed.

pc

-------------

QUOTE(Chrisx9118 @ Jun 30 2006, 12:38 AM)

Im all for having a small meet in florida, would love to slam some grippers shut with you animals! Im down in miami so i would have to drive up to meet any of you anyways =)

------------------

QUOTE(Wes @ Jun 29 2006, 09:52 PM)

I'm busy in August through the 9th, and I have to go back to school on the 14th... So if we could work something out between those, that would be great!

Does anyone have any ideas for events? Here are some I was thinking of-

-max effort gripper close with paralell set, right and left hand

-2 hand plate pinch (unless someone has a euro setup?)

-double overhand 2 inch axle lockout/ possible rolling thunder?

-some kind of wrist test... Sledge levering is a pain to judge, so mabye something like a weaver stick?

Does anyone have any ideas for events? Here are some I was thinking of-

-max effort gripper close with paralell set, right and left hand

-2 hand plate pinch (unless someone has a euro setup?)

-double overhand 2 inch axle lockout/ possible rolling thunder?

-some kind of wrist test... Sledge levering is a pain to judge, so mabye something like a weaver stick?

I'm like the idea, I also don't no where to hold one. For events, I like the idea of max effort gripper close, 2 hand pinch, 2 inch axle DEADLIFTS (ya, so letting your body atrophy is penalized here! :tongue) and how about bending for wrists? Either that or weaver stick sounds good. How about some kind of endurance lift to finish off, like a timed hold with a rolling thunder or something? I think those lifts would show a pretty well rounded gripper.

Perhaps grippers from Georgia and Alabama would like to come around as well?

Announce it and commit to it now! Awesome that you are thinking of a contest now.

Run one and you will learn.

Your events are perfect. Sledge isn't too difficult to judge, a little on the tricky side but not horrible.

Seriously, the hardest part is getting the balls to set the venue and the date. Once that is done, you have no choice but to follow through.

Just so you know Sat. Aug 12th there is a NAS Strongman in Ormond Beach. This would cut your Comp if you have it the same weekend. Check the NAS schedule so you won't have any conflicts, you might pick up some SM competitors otherwise. Good luck!

Items I can provide for contest use :

Most any gripper

FBBC vbar

York Blobs 30, 35, 42.5, 47.5, Blob50 (if someone can fill in the missing ones)

FBBC dumbells (2" and 2.5")

Also I've been thinking about getting Scott's two-hand pinch setup. Maybe now would be a good time to pick one up.

pc

I can provide almost any gripper as well.

I would love a shot at some of those blobs as ive never attempted to pick one up. :rock

I like the idea of a heavy 2.5" handle deadlift, if we can't get ahold of an axle. We'd have to adjust the rules on that.

I have not posted in a long time and have only told a few people and they know who they are. I had a serious work related injury at work nearly taking off the top of my index finger of my left hand with a brand new box cutter in May :( I am just starting training again...I may come by and see everybody but competing is something we shall see about.

Update: I have started back training this week and am doing TNS with grippers thanks to the great idea Josh a.k.a. Jad had for me. Tried setting the grippers last week and their was some pain their afterwards. I'm happy today though that the pain is fading, I can't wait to come back full bore :rock Just throw out a prayer anyone if you can...I'm only 23 and I aint done yet :D

Edited by BigT

I have not posted in a long time and have only told a few people and they know who they are. I had a serious work related injury at work nearly taking off the top of my index finger of my left hand with a brand new box cutter in May :( I am just starting training again...I may come by and see everybody but competing is something we shall see about.

Update: I have started back training this week and am doing TNS with grippers thanks to the great idea Josh a.k.a. Jad had for me. Tried setting the grippers last week and their was some pain their afterwards. I'm happy today though that the pain is fading, I can't wait to come back full bore :rock Just throw out a prayer anyone if you can...I'm only 23 and I aint done yet :D

I'm sure you'll be back up to speed soon, BigT. :)

Sorry to hear that BigT. Hopefully, you will be able to compete. If not, you should definately come.....provided that we (and by we I mean Wes :) )actually get this thing organized. I guess we also need to decide if this is just going to be a gathering with some friendly competition or an official contest becaused discussions have actually taken place for each.

My place isn't huge but if it's just a gathering I'd be willing to host it at my house for everyone to meet and do the gripping/bonding thing. I could fire up the grill and we could eat, hang and do our grip thing. Just a thought.

pc

I'm feeling gathering more than official competition. We get the ball rolling this year, next year we can come out with a real comp.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread... anyone in on a Florida Grip Get Together...?

My self and Tim (timiacobucci) from Orlando are down Im sure...

knockowt1 from Pensacola possibly...

I'm thinking sometime in August.

Feel free to dicsuss and give the following:

Name: Braden Korn

I could bring: 50lb Blob + others, Tons of Grippers and Bending stock, RT, TT

Mood: Extremely Psyched!

Yup, I am down of course.

I can bring bigger braced bending stock too if anyone wants to try that or some scrolling. I also have a 200 lb and will make a 250 lb atlas stone soon if anyone wants to try those. Not sure how far I will bring those 2 if it is outside Orlando but the bending stock still applies. Between me and Braden I think we have most any unbraced stock you might want to give a shot at though.

I also might get a 2" steel rod soon for axle dealifts or cleans, whatever you want to try.

Braden you should mention your monster kb too, I bet some people might want to mess with that sucker as well.

Yup, I am down of course.

I can bring bigger braced bending stock too if anyone wants to try that or some scrolling. I also have a 200 lb and will make a 250 lb atlas stone soon if anyone wants to try those. Not sure how far I will bring those 2 if it is outside Orlando but the bending stock still applies. Between me and Braden I think we have most any unbraced stock you might want to give a shot at though.

I also might get a 2" steel rod soon for axle dealifts or cleans, whatever you want to try.

Braden you should mention your monster kb too, I bet some people might want to mess with that sucker as well.

Not sure if monster is the right word.... but...

I have

2 16kg kbells....

2 24kg bells...

1 36kg bell....

1 48 kg bell....

I'd love to play with some more atlas stones... even being skinny

If it falls in the fall/winter/spring I might be able to make it to combine a trip to visit my parents. Who would willingly go to Florida in August?

brent