Pda Devils Advocate (ivanko Super Gripper)

acorn

Just got mine, it's cool! Is it cheating to hold any part of the Ivanko with my non-gripping hand?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teemu I

• acorn

• TelegraphKey

• pdoire

I ordered mine from PDA last week, I'll let you guys know when it comes. I can also make a bit of comparison between standard ISG and the one with those DA-handles (I couldn't resist those :rolleyes ), as I ordered one extra ISG, which I'm going to give to my brother.

I ordered mine from PDA last week, I'll let you guys know when it comes. I can also make a bit of comparison between standard ISG and the one with those DA-handles (I couldn't resist those :rolleyes ), as I ordered one extra ISG, which I'm going to give to my brother.

Cool. I hope you like it. I curious to see if there is much of a difference. I've never used a regular ISG.

Lifenotfair, I hope you like it too. I don't know if its cheating or not but when I grab with the other hand I can do a little bit more so maybe. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it.

- Aaron

Cool. I hope you like it. I curious to see if there is much of a difference. I've never used a regular ISG.

Lifenotfair, I hope you like it too. I don't know if its cheating or not but when I grab with the other hand I can do a little bit more so maybe. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it.

- Aaron

I think I will like it, I like it already as I've heard so much good about it.

I wouldn't worry about "cheating" with that. There are many effective ways to train grip strength, that could be considered as "cheating". Cert closes are different. There aren't any certs for ISG.

My intention is to use that as a tool to build base strength, sort of as a replacement for grip machine. One thing that I find useful about it, is that many of you guys have said that it feels good when you use it pivot down, that's something TSG's don't offer. ISG will also allow to work index and middle finger through extended range of motion when compared to TSG's, whether you use it normally or pivot down. I consider that to be a huge advantage. I also like the fact that it is easier to track progress with it. I ordered 3 stainless steel springs with it, should allow for tiny steps for a long time. Most importantly, from my point of view, I figured that it allows you to do negatives very efficiently.

I just can't wait to get my hands on that thing, I know I will put it to good use.

Teemu,

Do tell us how you like the knurled handles on your ISG when you get it.

I've had my ISG (no DA) for a couple of weeks now. I'm a grip training novice, and this is my only device, not counting the ridiculously easy gripper I've used until now (with probably less than 30 pounds of resistance). I have no problems with the sleek ISG handles; they're actually rather comfy to hold at the modest resistances I'm working with so far. It beats me how guys find use for knurled handles anyway, but that's a novice talking of course. Maybe high resistance work will eventually enlighten me and win me over to the world of knurled handles and toughened skin :shrug:

I use the outer grip for more exact poundages, and naturally I went all out on the first day just to see where I stand. Who wouldn't. And just as naturally, my weak hand took a beating and I had to lay off the ISG for days, and then ease back into it with high reps on low poundage. Back into it now at almost full force, and I can tell you I'm going to hold on to my ISG and bring it with me on all trips of any length. Some day down the line I'll have to master a poundage of 200+. All the increments make it a fun challenge.

I got 2 extra springs with mine. Doubt I'll find use for the 3rd anytime soon, especially since the lowest poundage is 135 on outer grip, making it a toughie for warmup and high reps. 3 springs on lowest is actually max for me right now. Told you I'm new at this :erm 140 is close enough but 150 is yet out of reach.

The 4th spring, I'll give that away as a souvenir to the first one closing my ISG at 10 & 12.

spahn

--

edit: typo

Edited by spahn ranch

Thanks for sharing your experiences with ISG. I'll write about my views on knurled handles along with everything else as soon as I get it and get a feel for it.

Good luck with your training, stick into it and you'll find use for that 3rd spring, guaranteed!

I tried maxing out too to see what I could do, without assisting with the other hand. I think I did possitions 9 and 3, or 9 and 4, or 10-3 or 10-4, don't remember. But I think I'm pretty far from 10-12. I love the fact that you can go on taking small steps on this... I just got it a couple of days ago and will start including it in my trainings tomorrow. I got the one WITHOUT the knurling though, it's easy on the hands and everything.

I like the knurling on the palm handle of grippers, but taped the other handle to ease on the fingers.

I tried maxing out too to see what I could do, without assisting with the other hand. I think I did possitions 9 and 3, or 9 and 4, or 10-3 or 10-4, don't remember. But I think I'm pretty far from 10-12. I love the fact that you can go on taking small steps on this... I just got it a couple of days ago and will start including it in my trainings tomorrow. I got the one WITHOUT the knurling though, it's easy on the hands and everything.

I like the knurling on the palm handle of grippers, but taped the other handle to ease on the fingers.

I took sports tape (like tennis handles tape) and wrapped the palm handles side of the ISG to stop some of the slippage that can occur with it. I left the other side alone so that my fingers can more easily slide around them for a good close!

I took a computer mouse pad, that foam rubber thing, cut it to size, and taped it on the ends, to the finger side of the handle. This gives me much more traction than I had at first (it's just a plain old ISG with fairly slick painted handles). (The underside of the mouse pad is what should face out, your fingers contact the material on the underside, that's where the traction comes from.)

I haven't used it much, yet, but at some point I hope to be in that fairly large range between BBSM & CoC #3 (or even between BBSM & BBGM) where I'll figure out the useful spring positions on the ISG that will serve as my "goal gripper" for a few weeks or months...

Edited by TelegraphKey

I took sports tape (like tennis handles tape) and wrapped the palm handles side of the ISG to stop some of the slippage that can occur with it. I left the other side alone so that my fingers can more easily slide around them for a good close!

We call it Hockey tape because in Canada, there IS only one sport! :laugh What is this "tennis" you speak of? :yikes

We call it Hockey tape because in Canada, there IS only one sport! :laugh What is this "tennis" you speak of? :yikes

Not surprising at all.. :rolleyes

Total price of snagging a computer mouse pad, tape, and ISG: $23

How much does the special-handle DA cost?

:cool

Pretty much, yes..but I don't want a mouse pad, I want hard-core knurled handles..but I guess it's just a matter of preference. :cool

Rich boy! =P

:tongue HAHAHAAA..I'm certainly not...honestly, I've spent way too much money on grip equipment this year. :( Now I have to start selling some organs, but what wouldn't you sacrifice for quality equipment! :tongue

We call it Hockey tape because in Canada, there IS only one sport! What is this "tennis" you speak of?

AMEN to that :rock I quite playing about 7 years ago and have been a referee ever since. Mostly do boys high school and AAA U19 girls games. Good exercise and I have the best seat in the house. Also my grip strength has helped more then once when detaining some of the big boys during a fight :D

I started making my own DA last night, even though I won't really use it. I just like making stuff.

We call it Hockey tape because in Canada, there IS only one sport! What is this "tennis" you speak of?

AMEN to that :rock I quite playing about 7 years ago and have been a referee ever since. Mostly do boys high school and AAA U19 girls games. Good exercise and I have the best seat in the house. Also my grip strength has helped more then once when detaining some of the big boys during a fight :D

I started making my own DA last night, even though I won't really use it. I just like making stuff.

Gotta love making stuff!

- Aaron

If you were really good with filing metal, you could get the ISG handles notched flat. The trough or slot into the regular grippers would be a bit tricky without a CNC machine. The side profile of a flat metal file, run down the length of the handle stock? :whistel

Finished my knock off DA on Saturday. Pretty cool as I made it all out of scrap metal I had lying around, so it doesn't look very pretty, more like Frankenstein. Paid $5 for 2 springs and ended up making 9 slots on each arm. VERY functional, but it'll probably collect dust as I only made it "for the sake of making it"

Very clever idea though, whoever thought it up :bow

Finished my knock off DA on Saturday. Pretty cool as I made it all out of scrap metal I had lying around, so it doesn't look very pretty, more like Frankenstein. Paid $5 for 2 springs and ended up making 9 slots on each arm. VERY functional, but it'll probably collect dust as I only made it "for the sake of making it"

I would love to see a Pic of it.

- Aaron

I would love to see a Pic of it.

- Aaron

It would be best to have it sent via e-mail. Know what I mean? ;)

• 1 month later...

I picked up my IGDA order from the customs office just yesterday. I'm very satisfied with my IGDA. I also got the regular ISG, I intend to give that as a gift to my brother. So as I recieved a two of them, one with the knurled handles and one without them, I had the opportunity to make a comparison between them. While regular ISG seems to be an OK grip tool just the way it is, I feel IGDA is way better. Mostly because of the round, knurled handles.

I like the knurling on those IGDA handles, it seems to be just right. Not too sharp to rip your skin, but not too smooth so you can really concentrate on squeezing it hard, even without using chalk. I don't want any slippage to occur while I'm training seriously. The action is really smooth, and I like the fact that even with regular IGDA handles the range of motion is beyond what TSG's have. I consider that to be a huge benefit. I'm talking about the fact that the range of motion for index and middle finger is beyond what TSG's offer. Beyond the range training is one of the most valuable methods if your goal is to be closing bigger grippers faster, that makes IGDA a great tool for my preferred way of training. I also like the fact, that using three springs I actually dont have to remove the springs very often, hardly ever, as three spring combinations offer pretty much all the resistance levels I need for my intended purpose: bridging the gap between CoC #3 and CoC #4 and for heavy negatives.

Before I placed my order, I really considered all the options available and honestly gave this a serious thought. My IGDA came with the chokers, IG Guide, three extra stainless steel springs and the spring tool. Now I know that I made a wise decision to purcase that guide and spring tool, without the instructions the spring tool would probably have been useless for me or atleast it would have taken too much time to figure out how to use it. It is a handy tool and removing and placing springs is easy with it once you get the hang of it. Hard to think what would be a better way to remove and replace the springs. So if you get the ISG or IGDA, also buy the guide along with the spring tool.

Chokers are also handy. Far easier and more user friendly than tightening up hose clamps around the TSG's handles. Simple, but effective.

All in all, I will put the IGDA to serious use. With those knurled handles it feels pretty close to how TSG's feel. So I think IGDA is another great grip tool from PDA.

Edited by Teemu I

Nice review Teemu,

I know you will love it. My regular ISG is an invaluable training tool especially in the specific areas you mentioned. It works the sweep like nothing else and is great for bodyweight negatives.

Of course the Devils Advocate must be that and much, much more.

Please advise us as to how those handles work out in actuality. I am curious as to the real benefit of them. I do not train ISG to close grippers, I train with the ISG to get stronger hands which ib turn will help me close bigger grippers.