Weaver Stick

timiacobucci

I apologize if this has been answered before but I couldn't find any info with the search or google.

What is the weaver stick lift and how is it performed? Does anyone have any pictures or a link with one showing this exercise?

I apologize if this has been answered before but I couldn't find any info with the search or google.

What is the weaver stick lift and how is it performed? Does anyone have any pictures or a link with one showing this exercise?

ok imagine a sledge hammer with the head on the floor and the handle up by your side.....grab the handle with you thumb closet to the end so that when you pick up the sledge you will lever it toward the rear...and try and take the head from the floor to pararell to the floor....hope this helps a bit.

I think it was originally done with a 4' long 1'' thick steel bar with weight slid on. John Grimek used to hold the record, but now that record is now held by our very own Mobster :D A great assistance exercise for bending.

Edited by Wes

From the USAWA rules:

Stick dimentions: 42 inches long. At one end, place a notch 1/2 inch from end. The weight will be placed in notch. Thirty six (36) inches from center of notch, mark a line on stick. This will be the foremost position of the hand. Place some sort of bracket (angle brackets will work )at this point, leaving 5 1/2 inches for the gripping surface. The gripping surface may be taped, for thickness, with non-stick tape.

Place the stick on a surface, even with the lifter's hand when hanging straight down. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. The stick must be lifted straight up from the lifting surface, with no rocking of the stick prior to lifting. The lifting hand and arm must remain free of the body, and the heel of the hand must remain on the top of the stick. If the hand twists around the stick, the lift is not allowed. The entire weight must be free of the surface and under control. The lift ends on command.

The lift may also be made by reversing the grip and grasping the stick with the little finger towards the weight, instead of the thumb towards the weight. The body may be bent during this method of lift.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just doing a search now for my records to see what they were. I think it's 12 ish to the friont and nearly 20 to the rear.