Are We Getting Any Stronger?

Mikael Siversson

Did a quick comparison between the elite (top 10) in competitions in 2005 vs the top 10 in competitions in 2006.

In 2005, the top 10 averaged 95.8k in the pinch and 159.8k in the vbar.

In 2006, the top 10 are thus far averaging 95.0k in the pinch and 160.6k in the vbar.

We still have six months left to improve the numbers for 2006 but it seems that we, rather than blowing the 2005 results straight out of the water, are gaining at a very modest rate.

Overall I think we grossly overestimate the ability of our athletes to make spectacular gains.

The truth is that very moderate gains by any of the top 10 seem sufficient for maintaining within year ranking.

A relief perhaps for those who struggle to gain a kilo or two in the pinch over a year.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

This could be related to the fact that I believe that once an athlete has obtained close to their genetic potential that gains then become very slow or non-existent. Only very hard training consistently over time will allow further if any accomplishments.

Our competitiors may be at or near that level through all the training they have done already.

There is also quite a substantial turnover of competitors in both the pinch and the vbar top 10. Many probably lose interest once they realise that further gains will be very hard earned.

• 3 weeks later...
There is also quite a substantial turnover of competitors in both the pinch and the vbar top 10. Many probably lose interest once they realise that further gains will be very hard earned.

I think thats the charm. when you get some gains after many weeks och months of hard work you feel alot better about the gains

Both replies are very close to the truth. Gains, at the top level, are hard to come by and aren't big but are in the region of half kilo here and there on some events and no more than a few kilos on others. Only newbies see dramatic gains. The pinch comparison is the best.

Edited by mobsterone

• 1 month later...

Updated.

In 2006, the top 10 are thus far averaging 95.0k in the pinch and 163.4k in the vbar.

Vbar up about two per cent whereas the pinch is very slightly lower than the 2005 results, with about 3 1/2 months to go.

Did a quick comparison between the elite (top 10) in competitions in 2005 vs the top 10 in competitions in 2006.

In 2006, the top 10 are thus far averaging 95.0k in the pinch and 160.6k in the vbar.

We still have six months left to improve the numbers for 2006 but it seems that we, rather than blowing the 2005 results straight out of the water, are gaining at a very modest rate.

Overall I think we grossly overestimate the ability of our athletes to make spectacular gains.

The truth is that very moderate gains by any of the top 10 seem sufficient for maintaining within year ranking.

A relief perhaps for those who struggle to gain a kilo or two in the pinch over a year.

Wasn't the Vbar record in the 335 range back around the first GGC and now it's what close to 390 in competition and even higher in practice. I'd say that's pretty good.

There seems to be a lot more people with V-bars than euro type pinch set ups to both practice and compete on - the difference in price and availability could account for the differece in progress between the two.

Wasn't the Vbar record in the 335 range back around the first GGC and now it's what close to 390 in competition and even higher in practice. I'd say that's pretty good.

No, it was 360 in 2004.

There seems to be a lot more people with V-bars than euro type pinch set ups to both practice and compete on - the difference in price and availability could account for the differece in progress between the two.

The 2006 top 10 average in the pinch also suffers a bit from the absence of David Horne.

I agree. Grip is kinda new, after a few more years we will have a better frame of reference.

The v-bar is on the verge of a breakthrough. The michigan numbers were relatively crap all around this year cause of the humidity. If we get Ryan K and Dave T head to head in good conditions, lifts will be awesome.

I am expecting great things for next year. Both Dave and Ryan are excellent competitors, and they will battle at maybe both the GGC and MGC in 2007.