Two hand plate curls

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

Right now I am enjoying doing my two hand pinch work and making gains, slowly though. I enjoy doing two hand work better than single hand work so I was wondering if anyone here has done two hands plate curling? If so what type of poundages were used? What manner did you do the exercise? I am planning on just using a single 45lbs plate to start with, if I can, so I'll get used to the leverage of the big plate. From there I am just going to load in the same manner that is shown in the picture of M. Daly doing the plate curl in one of the British Competitions. Thanks

Guest Jeff Roark

Joe,

That one went over my head a bit...are you doing Zottman plate curls? That is basically starting out in a regular curl postion and finishing in the reverse curl position, right? And you are doing this with plate/s? If so I am assuming one can't use alot of weight huh?

Jeff,

I never thought about plate curls using BOTH hands at the same time!  Hey, great idea!  I've got a whole bunch of 45's doing nothing but sitting around... so now, I'll put them to work!  :)

Yeah, I've done two-handed plate curls with a pair of 25's and a loading bar through the hole.  Its' OK but more stable than one-handed, so a little easier on the wrist, I think.  When I moved from a 25 pounder (11 inches) to a 15 kilo plate (13 inches) with one hand, I noticed a tendency for the larger plate to twist toward the weaker side of my hand.  Working on this weakness has given me faster progress than the two-handed curls did.  Still, anything for variety.

Hi Jeff.  Didn't you get a big two-hand pinch recently?  Good job.

You're really not going to like this, but I started deadlifting with just my ring and pinky fingers, reverse grip, about once every other week, two or three limit singles after warming up.  I really hate it but it seems to work the same tendons as those involved in supporting a plate curl.  That, plus increasing the number of reps on my plate curls and concentrating on form.  My fingers are short anyway, so I have a hard time keeping the plate level through the sticking point with heavier weights.

One thing I like for plate curls is holding heavier plates for time.  I found that when I did curls for reps, the plate would shift during the down swing.  After a couple workouts of pinching a 45 in each hand, for 15 or 20 seconds, I pay a lot more attention to the eccentric part of the curl and don't loose ground on the plate between reps.  Therefore, more reps and a better workout.  

Finally, have you tried pinch gripping with your index finger on top of the plates?  Using just the other three fingers puts a lot more work on the little fingers and the palm (it has nothing to do with index finger, it just gets it out of the way).  Any day I lift 55 pounds like that is a good day.  

Always interested in hearing what anyone else is doing.

Guest Jeff Roark

Dave,

I pinched 176lbsx1 two handed, not great but not too bad I guess. Thanks all the same.

What about eagle loops for that purpose? I think I will try the last 3 digits pinching first to help because I can fit it in to my workout easily. I still have awhile before getting totally serious on this exercise. My main goals at this time are 200lbs two hand pinch and the #3. Then I will be hot and heavy on the plate curls and Rolling Thunder.