Prctical Levering Progression Solutions

Starkmann

So most people lever with a sledge, from what I can tell. How do you progress?

The standard answer as I have seen it is to weld a bolt to your sledge and use that to load the sledge. Well, I can't weld and don't foresee learning in the immediate future. I currently have a plate duct taped to the face of the sledge but that doesn't seem like a good long term solution.

Other ideas?

So most people lever with a sledge, from what I can tell. How do you progress?

The standard answer as I have seen it is to weld a bolt to your sledge and use that to load the sledge. Well, I can't weld and don't foresee learning in the immediate future. I currently have a plate duct taped to the face of the sledge but that doesn't seem like a good long term solution.

Other ideas?

Work your hand down a heavy sledge.

yeah, just buy a hammer you can't lever from the bottom already, and mark a place wehre you can lever it (with a marker, tape, etc.) and then each week move your hand down a bit.

I'm pretty sure if you PM'd Climber511 he could make you a loadable sledge for a reasonable price. Otherwise, the only other things I can think of are to work your way down the sledge handle or use some strong magnets to hold additional weights on.

I'm familiar with the work down the sledge angle. It's not the same, if you try it for a while you learn this. Besides, I already own two. I'm not sure I'm terribly interested in buying the four to six sledges that could seperate them. That could mean, if I ever worked up to a 30lber, I could own five to ten sledges depending on how you want to go about it.

I may speak with Chris, I was just hoping someone had come up with a practical solution to the sledge itself. Your magnets is the best so far. I believe most of the magnetised weights are 2 1/2 lbs or less. I'm not sure what kind of magnets I would need to get to do more. I seem to recall some very sketch adds in the back of Boys Life for magnets that held 1000 lbs. They were right next to the Xray specs.

Just slide some plates down the handle, you can hold them on with a big pony clamp. Feels close enough, you only lose about 1/2" of leverage and my sledge handle is 32" long anyway. The Mi grip comp used plate mate magnets to add 1 1/4 at a time, that worked pretty well.

Just slide some plates down the handle, you can hold them on with a big pony clamp. Feels close enough, you only lose about 1/2" of leverage and my sledge handle is 32" long anyway. The Mi grip comp used plate mate magnets to add 1 1/4 at a time, that worked pretty well.

I didn't think it would work but tried it. Very nice. Thank you.

Very cool. I'm not sure they will be my immediate solution as I have a pony clamp but that pag is officially bookmarked for future rainyday funds :cool

It's raining today.....those are cool......I just bought some. I'll let you know how they come out. I don't look forward to pulling a box out of the mailbox with enough magnets to hold about 100lbs up.

It's odd that I never see any mention of the "Slammer" from John Beatty's Fat Bastard Barbell Co. Stock, it's a 2" thick handle, but I just ordered one with 1" handle for about $5 more (total about $40 plus shipping).

FBBC's "Slammer" is basically the length of a regular sledge (I requested mine to be 32" long below the head), and you can plate-load it.

Once I get it in the mail, I should be able to simply put Oly plates on it. I have 1-1/4 lb plates so hopefully I can make those increments without too much problem.

I don't see why FBBC's "Slammer" couldn't be the "Universal Plate-Loading Sledge" everyone has been clamoring for...

hmm, I'll look into that device. I have need of it for something else and possibly levering.

I was looking for a pair of loadable indian clubs. Currently I am using John's 3" dBs for that through the cunning use of spring collars. I like John's products but am not sure if my hands will adapt to a 2" handled indian club.

Thanks fo the tip.

I don't know if John would mind me saying this, but I did ask him if I could get the sledge with 1" thick handle instead of 2". I don't know if he can do this for lots of other people who might want them, but it might be worth a shot to email & ask him!

You might use some kind of a vertical bar and just move a plate further away from the top of the vbar using two collars.

This also gives you a exact way to measure your progress.

I've been using magnets I got from the bottom of my old car speakers. I had a problem blowing them out quite a bit so now I can put them to good use. Started with a 10 lbs sledge, and with my magnets can make it up to about 17.5 lbs. I figure after that I'll just invest in a nice 20lbs sledge, if I can hold it up long enough to lever it.

Just wanted to support Scott's Gaussboys.com solution. I bought some magnets and took some pictures. I should warn you that the magnets can be hard to store. They are really powerful.

Observe