Medium Bending Technique

Crotchulla

I've been searching online and in books and cannot find much about medium length bends. I easily found loads of information about short bends and a fair amount about longer bends. But I was wondering, do you use the same tech. for long and medium, or is there a whole different way to do it. The only place I found with medium bends had it as the same, but I figured I'd ask the pros here on gripboard.

I was wondering about the same.

Short steel can be bent with your hands, long steel can be bent in your mouth or around your neck using your elbows, but medium length steelbars... mm no idea really.

I have tried this technique; Hold the bar with your hands as close to the center of the bar as possible, then put your forearms on it and squeeze it "around" your stomach. That would usually kink it abit.

Or would that be "bracing it against your stomach"?

What defines "medium"? I bend stuff like timber spikes that are 12" braced, and that is medium to me.

What defines "medium"? I bend stuff like timber spikes that are 12" braced, and that is medium to me.

That is medium to me too

I use the same technique that Steve McGranahan uses in his DVDs and that is to wrap a spike in a towel and then push it down over your thigh to get the initial bend. I sometimes pull it over me knee to get another few degrees. Then, I post one end into my left leg with my left hand and push down with my right hand, kinda helping out with my chest/stomache then crush it like a short nail. I recently did a 24" 9/16 hot rolled bar that it pulled over my knee then posted on my leg and finally crushed it against my chest.

I highly recommend Steve's DVDs at heavenbent.net. He covers all sizes and various other stuff too. Nice guy too.

Tim

How could you progress with medium bends? By going to Lowe's all I can find are 12 and 10 inch normal spikes. No big timber ties or any other screw or nail that long. Should I try just using 6 foot steel lengths and cutting them down?

I can't hardly find the 14" spikes either. I did find some 12" timber ties that are easier then the 12" spikes though. They're certainly not easy in my book but a little more doable. I think a person could get some hot rolled steel in 3/8" that would be easier.

Tim

I like the hardness of FBBC spikes and they seem very reasonably priced. Some of the hardware/farm supply stores have a softer version. They are easy to tell apart after you see them. The softer ones usually have bigger heads and have somewhat rounded points and are shiney(if they are not galvanized). You can also cut these shorter for a better challenge when you are ready. Getting some HRS or CRS seems like a good idea also, but you will shortly be wishing you had some FBBC spikes to Cert with. Good luck guys!!

So to get certified on FBBC, are there any rules on their spikes, like how you may hold it or anything, or just, bend it. I found that they use just about the same rules as Ironmind for short bending, and I know they don't cert on medium bends.