Grippers And Left Hand

LiftingKid

I have been having an issue where my left middle finger "snaps" while I am closing a gripper. This has hindered my gripper training for that hand immensly. I feel that if this problem could be taken care of, a #1 close with my left will soon be achievable. Any thoughts as to why I get this "snap" in my finger? How do you think I should go about recovery?

I have been having an issue where my left middle finger "snaps" while I am closing a gripper. This has hindered my gripper training for that hand immensly. I feel that if this problem could be taken care of, a #1 close with my left will soon be achievable. Any thoughts as to why I get this "snap" in my finger? How do you think I should go about recovery?

Take off from doing grippers for a little bit

Could be a "trigger finger", which unfortunately won't go away by just resting. It's a simple diagnosis made by a qualified orthopedic surgeon and a small, relatively simple surgery to remedy. If rest doesn't do the trick, check with an ortho doc.

John Scribner

As John says,it sounds like you have a trigger finger which involves i think the tendon.you can Google it.i had one on my right middle finger diagnosed by a hand surgeon whom i have seen several times over the years for diff injuries.my tf resolved on its own which is rare.beware of cortisone injections which is not recommended if you are hard on your hands because there will be complications.

both my middle fingers click to. It was caused from DO bending. Is trigger finger bad ?

Edited by handgripperman

If trigger finger doesn't resolve or isn't corrected, it can progress to the point where the finger becomes crooked and unable to function. My orthopedist co-worker tells me there is a genetic tendency among people of Slavic, Eastern European and maybe Scandinavian heritage getting it. It can be aggravated by exactly the type of workouts people on this board are prone to doing, and I'm surprised more of us don't have it. I'm developing it in my index finger, and it's to the point of my hand looking like an old woman's gnarly finger when I point. :angry: Again, easily corrected by a 15 minute hand procedure if rest doesn't fix it.

John Scribner

If trigger finger doesn't resolve or isn't corrected, it can progress to the point where the finger becomes crooked and unable to function. My orthopedist co-worker tells me there is a genetic tendency among people of Slavic, Eastern European and maybe Scandinavian heritage getting it. It can be aggravated by exactly the type of workouts people on this board are prone to doing, and I'm surprised more of us don't have it. I'm developing it in my index finger, and it's to the point of my hand looking like an old woman's gnarly finger when I point. :angry: Again, easily corrected by a 15 minute hand procedure if rest doesn't fix it.

John Scribner

I have a bit of it in my index finger also, although it is not nearly as bad as in my middle finger. I may rest up a bit and see how I feel.

John Scribner

Looks like i have developed trigger finger on my right middle finger, probaply becouse of freshly started gripper training and work at construction site (manual labor). Just wondering, how fast it should heal if i try to rest it (no grippers, only work) ? and when should i start worrying bout it and show it to doc?

ps. im scandiavian...

John Scribner

Looks like i have developed trigger finger on my right middle finger, probaply becouse of freshly started gripper training and work at construction site (manual labor). Just wondering, how fast it should heal if i try to rest it (no grippers, only work) ? and when should i start worrying bout it and show it to doc?

ps. im scandiavian...

My mother had 2 trigger fingers which progressively got worse and had the surgery.a symtom of tf is that from a closed position amd than trying to open it SNAPS open either subtly or violently dependhng on severity.if in doubt,consult a hand surgeon.i have had regular orthopedists take care of hand problems and learned my lesson years ago.but im sure there are orthos who are good at hands.i choose to go to md's who only do hands.of course,choose wisely.