Chalk In Training...

Blackheart

Is using chalk when training your hands important? Especially when training with Grippers is it vital? A clarification is needed because many opinions have been said or heard.Many say yes to chalk and others absolutely no.Which is best?

I don't use it on grippers unless I'm going for a no-set, which is the only place it makes much of a difference for me. It does make things more consistent. And I always use a good bit when pinching.

Using chalk can be helpful and I would recommend it, but if you don't want to, it's no big thing. It will make workouts more consistent, and when using grippers you will get in a better workout cause you can focus on closing the thing without your hand sliding.

There is no valid reason to be "against" chalk. In fact, I would go as far as saying that anyone who tells you to always avoid using chalk is giving you very poor advice.

if you master a gripper you can close without a chalk, then closing that gripper with a chalk is even easeir.

When i try to close my 2 the damned thing is sliding all the time in my hand...

So the close becomes significantly harder...

So your opinion would be to buy chalk right?

I use chalk while pinching Blobs outside. i can pinch without but not for long due to sweat so chalk is necessary with the smooth blobs.with COC, sometimes for same reason.COC allows chalk not resin,etc.

chalk is really good. go buy it now.

Blacheart, chalk could definitely help your problem with the #2 sliding around in the palm. If you don't have any, try scrubbing the handles out with a toothbrush and a little toothpaste. Don't get the spring wet.

Once the gripper drys, it may bite into your skin better and stay in place. Sometime the knurling just clogs with dead skin.

I dont like to use chalk with grippers unless its really hot,because of sweat. Does toothpaste really work?

I use it on grippers if im really trying to close one or trying to get in a good workout, but usually not since im lazy I guess, I just wash my hands before i start, it helps. If im pinching or messing around w/ block weights then Im Definantly using chalk. If you dont have some, go get some, I bet you like it.

I found that it helped me close my #3 if I put some in the palm of my hand...tried putting it on the fingers but that actually made it harder because my fingers wouldnt slide around the gripper when crushing but yea a (little) bit in the palm of your hand all the way across your hand where the gripper will be setting makes a nice difference for me!

I trained for a short period of time without chalk. Then I located some chalk to train at a sporting good store and the first time I trained with chalk I was able to close some of my grippers much easier than without. It actually made a huge difference, because the handle in my palm did not slip.

Chalk is a big help for me and for most of the guys that I talk training with. If you are against using it then by all means don't use it. But your results will probably be better with chalk.

Is using chalk when training your hands important? Especially when training with Grippers is it vital? A clarification is needed because many opinions have been said or heard.Many say yes to chalk and others absolutely no.Which is best?

I wouldn't call it vital, but chalking up will help you close bigger grippers. Used to be I couldn't close a 3 without it, so it can make a difference between succes and not. Chalk also keeps the gripper from slipping, which can cause some serious pain if it catches the edge of a callous and rips it off! Let me tell you, that's not fun at all. If you don't have any, rubbing your hands together really fast has near the same effect. (chinese burn.. or something)

Edited by Wes

Chalk for everything but Beef Builder grippers... they're sharp! :rock

Interesting...I should be getting the BBSM anytime now and I was looking forward to using some chalk to try and get it. Chalk made a big difference for me...it's either the chalk or the fact that I have to do the grippers right when I get done working out because I don't have any chalk at my apartment. At home, without the chalk I have a hard time closing the #2...today at the gym I closed it for a double with a set of course.

Chalk helps me close my bigger grippers more consistently. You should def. try it and see for yourself. :cool

Toothpaste works fine for scrubbing the crud out of the gripper handles.

I just dip the head of a soft bristle tootbrush in some water. It seems to work pretty well. Is there anything abrasive in toothpaste?