Trained with Baldy

Bearcat 74

Trained with baldy yesterday, I had a great time!  He has lots of very cool toys blobs, keg, sandbag, IDB, little bighorn, G-Rex, anvil, cool stuff!  We started off with squats, inbetween sets we squeezed some grippers.  He got his #3 down to 3/8" or so, with a very bad set.  ;)  And he worked up to a PR 500lb partial squat, which I thought was good work.  Then we fooled with his blobs, he pulled his 40lber to his waist, which was another PR, great work!  Then we gave his keg a run, I don't know how much it weighed 100lbs or so?  Some presses and stuff. Next was the 200lb sandbag.  I watched him shoulder it and walk rather easily to my truck and back.  I pick it up, but I just can't figured out how to shoulder it.  I finally decide in one fail swoop I will lungcleangutcurl this thing up, wrong.  I over do something, it goes flying off.  Pick it up, same thing, 3rd times the charm.  She hits the shoulder, too far back.  I jerk to correct it, and my back sounds like machinegun fire, I was ready to duck for cover!  Finally got it where it was supposed to be, 4 steps, and my back locks up.  Screw this, no more sandbag!  :)  Then there were anvils lifted, eagle loops tried:these hurt:, and various other objects.  He also did a picture perfect 35lbs plate curl, 1st time I've seen that done, very impressive.  The G-Rex was VERY cool.  This was the first gripmachine I used, something I may be interested in at a later time.  We pulled the sled, almost puked, he did a neck lift of like 300lbs, and then it was buffet time baby!!  Food, food, and more food.  

I had a great time, and I look forward to training with Tim in the future!

Guest baldy

The other half of the story:

Heath thought 500 lbs was a good partial squat, but he did over 560. This was all the plates we could fit on the bar, since I don't have enough 45s for a monster like him. He did it so easy (it came up like a warmup rep) it looked like he had at least another 150 lbs in him. I felt like my gizzard was coming out of my eyes when I grinded the 500 up.

Heath on his first try easily got the sandbag to his chest, but couldn't get the form down to shoulder it. Instead of taking the easy route and worming it up to his shoulder, he heaved it almost *over* his shoulder, forcing him to overcompensate. He lifted it easily, just didn't get the form down.

The plate curl was OK, but Heath did a plate wrist hold with the same 35. This I could not do when I tried it. If Heath could get his plate curl form down I think a 45 would not be far away for him.

Heath picked up my 45 lb blob in his right hand and my 40 lber in his left on his first real attempt. Easily. Held them for a LONG time there, then did it again after a short rest.

Lastly, I got to see a very impressive display of gripper crushing. Heath has definitely earned his moniker "the crush monster". After a lot of heavy crushing work I asked him if he would crush my #3 while I took a picture. He said "sure" and did it about as easy as I closed his trainer. Keep in mind this is after many heavy gripper closes, including some stunning #4 attempts.

BTW, That sled was just too cool. I cramped up about every 45 minutes to an hour last night. :)

Here's a pic of Heath casually standing there doing the blobs.  After seeing this, I fully meant "budding grip legend". :)  He's just a young buck...

Click Here

I don't know about the extra 150lbs.  The walkout was just murder,  I am sore that's for sure.  PlLate curl was not ok, it was perfect form, 45 is coming up soon for you.  Blobs are very cool, I need to invest in some of those too. Tim did some fine work with the camera, both pics turned out very well.

Wannagrip, thanks for posting the pics.  I don't know about that grip legend stuff......

Guest baldy

Mr Sorin will recognize those Blobs, he is the one who signed them. The writing is visible on the 40 lber in Heath's left hand.

This was Heath's second lift of both blobs, held for several seconds while I fumbled with the camera. For someone who has never felt a heavy blob, look how little surface area Heath has to grip on the 45 (his right hand) due to the width.

Thanks for posting the pics Bill.

Good work both of you guys! I wish I knew some grip freaks in my area to train with. It's great to see how other people do things. Right now, I mostly do my grip work at home, but sometimes I'll train my grip at the gym and people stare at me like "what the #### is he doing?"

Baldy

What's the width of those blobs?  The 45lb blob looks like a monster!

New tactic, just don't tell Heath something is supposed to be hard to pick up (like the blobs) and just say "bring those here".  Boy that didn't look too hard for him.  Amazing, Bill's right....much better things to come.

Guest baldy

Jim - The 40 lber is approx 3.5" (at the upper edges, where the flat part starts to taper down) tapered down to 4.75" at the widest point (the middle of the block). The 45 is considerably larger, approx 3.75" tapered down to 5.25".

Pat - That isn't just the way it looked, that is the way it was. He did it with relative ease. I wish I had a 50 for him to try, but for me it would have just made a good paperweight since I haven't ever budged the 45 yet.

One of Richard Sorin's 50 pound blobs is waiting for him at Iron Island the day after the AOBS dinner.  Will it leave the ground?  Terminator and I shall see.  Hey Heath-  the sled you guys pulled-was it the home made one that you modeled after the one I made? Terminator and I will have to rile Heath up a little bit when we train.  We really want to see what he is capable of doing!  Go get 'em Heath!!

I'd say the 50lber is safe.  It's only been lifted by so few people for a very good reason, it's freakin' hard!  I'll defenintly give it a go.  Yeah, same sled, you can see it in the picture, it's right behind my truck.  I can't wait for the dinner.  We's gonna have fun!

Like I keep saying, someone better be manning the digital camera. The U.S. boys have to show the U.K. boys that we can play together well too! :)