Plate Wrist Curl

viper

Ive only done this twice but i like it, seems like a good exercise - ive read that a 25 is pretty good but what would be world class? a 45 maybe?

Viper

I have heard of a 45 being plate wrist curled. I have heard of 2 25's being plate wrist curled. Both of those are crazy strong IMO. I usually stick to 2 10's or one 25 myself...definitely feel it in the wrist and fingers.

Yes, a 45 is what one would consider world class.

Ive only done this twice but i like it, seems like a good exercise - ive read that a 25 is pretty good but what would be world class? a 45 maybe?

Viper

more like impossible, assuming full ROM and good form :cool

My two cents is a 35 is world class done strictly with no swing.

I think you're referring to Plate Biceps Curl, but this thread is about Plate Wrist Curl. Some days I'm kind of close to being able to Wrist Curl 35 lbs -- though there's a huge difference between holding a 25 & some change, vs. holding an actual 35 plate; I guess the leverage of the bigger plates counts almost as much or more than the weight itself.

I know if I'm that close to 35, there's no way 35 is world class. Now, 45 on the other hand.

This goes back to the question: What is the relationship of strength between Plate Biceps Curl, and Plate Wrist Curl? I used to think Biceps curl was definitely harder (had to use less weight) than Wrist curl, but sometimes they seem about the same to me...How do they compare for other people?

I think you're referring to Plate Biceps Curl, but this thread is about Plate Wrist Curl. Some days I'm kind of close to being able to Wrist Curl 35 lbs -- though there's a huge difference between holding a 25 & some change, vs. holding an actual 35 plate; I guess the leverage of the bigger plates counts almost as much or more than the weight itself.

I know if I'm that close to 35, there's no way 35 is world class. Now, 45 on the other hand.

This goes back to the question: What is the relationship of strength between Plate Biceps Curl, and Plate Wrist Curl? I used to think Biceps curl was definitely harder (had to use less weight) than Wrist curl, but sometimes they seem about the same to me...How do they compare for other people?

cheers guys

id say plate wrist curl should be less weight or at least less reps with the same plate, but only if your using the proper form (all the way down / up)

re:

I think that wrist plate curls are harder than plate curls. I can curl a 25 pound plate for 1 to 2 reps depending on the day. I cannot do a wrist plate curl with a 25 pound plate because of the strain it puts on my wrist. I started doing 2 hand wrist plate curls in its place.

mike

Arne has done a very strict one handed plate wrist curl with a 15kg eleiko plate. Guess I have baby wrists because I'm not even near to duplicate his feat.

Ps. Do you mean one handed or two handed?

Edited by Martin_Arildsson

This brings up the question - what is World Class? Is World Class something that only one or two people can do or is it something that say the top 10 - 15 -20 % of the best in the world can do? Using competitions as a guide - would you consider the top ten (or some other number) in an event to be World Class? One probem that arises in plate curl is the large jump necessary to go from 25 to 35 to 45#.

This brings up the question - what is World Class? Is World Class something that only one or two people can do or is it something that say the top 10 - 15 -20 % of the best in the world can do? Using competitions as a guide - would you consider the top ten (or some other number) in an event to be World Class? One probem that arises in plate curl is the large jump necessary to go from 25 to 35 to 45#.

i consider world class as being the best in the world or close to it

1. David Horne, England 107.2k CC 2005

2. Nick McKinless, England 101.8k CC 2005

3. Jedd Johnson, USA 101.2k GGC 2005*

4. Martin Arildsson, Sweden 101.0k LGC XIV 2006

5. Dean Bolt, Wales 100.3k IG 2004

6. Chad Woodall, USA 98.9k GGC 2005*

7. Steve McGranahan, USA 95.1k CC 2005

8. Dave Thorton, USA 94.3k GGC 2005*

9. Eli Kiener, USA 92.1k GGC 2005*

10.Benny Wennberg, Sweden 91.0k Euro 2004

Here's the current top ten in 2 hand pinch - I would consider any of these lifts as world class feats of strength. If you look at other sports - qualifying for the World Championships in say Olympic lifting would certainly make you World Class in my book, no matter how you place there.

Arne has done a very strict one handed plate wrist curl with a 15kg eleiko plate. Guess I have baby wrists because I'm not even near to duplicate his feat.

Ps. Do you mean one handed or two handed?

Arne doesn't get enough credit for keeping his hand straight. If that rule was strictly enforced, there is no one even close to Arne on plate curls IMO.

1. David Horne, England 107.2k CC 2005

2. Nick McKinless, England 101.8k CC 2005

3. Jedd Johnson, USA 101.2k GGC 2005*

4. Martin Arildsson, Sweden 101.0k LGC XIV 2006

5. Dean Bolt, Wales 100.3k IG 2004

6. Chad Woodall, USA 98.9k GGC 2005*

7. Steve McGranahan, USA 95.1k CC 2005

8. Dave Thorton, USA 94.3k GGC 2005*

9. Eli Kiener, USA 92.1k GGC 2005*

10.Benny Wennberg, Sweden 91.0k Euro 2004

Here's the current top ten in 2 hand pinch - I would consider any of these lifts as world class feats of strength. If you look at other sports - qualifying for the World Championships in say Olympic lifting would certainly make you World Class in my book, no matter how you place there.

Martin did 102.3k in the last LGC competition.

Martin did 102.3k in the last LGC competition.

That's what I thought. And I'd say anything over 90 kilos is by far world class in pinch lifting.

it is still damn strong though. even strict curl with 25's people can't do. many people