Kinney Gripper Speed

Sybersnott

Perhaps he missed his calling - he should have been a Greenskeeper at a golf course... :p

Seriously though, I have tried this method in the past on other exercises and have found it to be very productive. Kinney was certainly more than just an Iron Gripper/Beer Can Exploding Fiend.

The coolest part about Kinney is HOW he did it.  The man hardly had any type of training tools-his plates were wheels and other stuff he could find.  He didnt have access to a plate loaded machine, so he went to the junk yard, found the pieces, and put one together!  

Kinda makes me think.  I have the ability to buy what I need, my training tools are old school, but they are far better then Kinney had access to.  I have PDA farmers, grippers, plently of 25s, 35s, and 45's to pinch, a cage to do any power movement out of, anvils, kegs, the Atlas-the list goes on.  I should, in theory, be closing big grippers!  

Kinney shows us that it can be done.  He did it with just the bare tools and some of us have $1000s into our equipment???  What could he have done with better tools?

Rick Walker :crazy

I think it would be really anticlimactic for Sorin Brookfield or Horne to get certified on the #4. People would say "Big news! RICHARD SORIN CLOSED THE #4! Isn't that amazing?! oh btw he was the 1st to lift the end of an old York db & pinch 45s & bunch of other stuff, but he closed the #4! That's amazing" Same with David Horne "Wow David Horne closed the #4! Oh yeah he he lifted one of the Dinnie stones with 2 fingers & does 1 arm wrist curls with 125kg but who cares about that HE CLOSED THE #4". Gimme a break. It goes back to that thing on another thread about grippers not being everything there is to grip/hand training. There's more to grip/hand stuff than closing grippers. Those guys mentioned have all done lots of stuff that are more impressive than closing the #4. How many guys can bend things like Brookfield does? Lots I guess because bending is really easy lol. How many guys can tabletop wrist curl more than 600lbs? There's so much more to it than grippers. I don't see why they should bother with getting certified for closing the #4 if they've done so much that's more impressive.

Nathan,

I love all my training. But the plain truth is I am not strong enough to close the #4. If I could, I would get the certified. Yes, Richard and John have done some fantastic feats of strength over the years.

David

Guest omniexist
I don't see why they should bother with getting certified for closing the #4 if they've done so much that's more impressive.

LOL Have you seen the picture of Sorin closing the Phantom #4? If Sorin could close the real #4 i would bet any amount of money that he would certify. If for no other reason it would make a great advertisement for his products, he is a business man after all.

Omni,

Not to continue this argument, but perhaps you aren't aware that Richard Sorin closed the Phantom 4 years before Ironmind made the actual #4.  Also, Richard will tell you himself that he was in his peak in the early 90's.  I don't think the actual #4 became a certifiable feat until the mid 90's (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  I don't think that Richard Sorin ever said that he could close a #4 today.

Many more people will agree that Paul Anderson was the strongest man ever in the powerlifts of today, but every lift he ever did was done before power lifting was a sport.  So infact every record in the powerlifts that Anderson ever had is and was unofficial.  Does that mean he never did any of his claims?--more poeple will say he did than will say otherwise.  Point is Richard Sorin closed the Phantom 4 before it was a certifiable feat.  In fact he closed the #3 before it was a certifiable feat as well.