Thick Handles - Cheap And Quick

oldart

We know that using thick handled barbells and dumbbells is great for developing your grip. If your gym doesn't have these, I have found the following useful for wrapping around dumbbells, barbells, machine handles, etc.

1. Polyurethane pipe insulation. Available at Home Depot or Lowe's. A six foot long tube costs less than 2 dollars. Get the one inch wide tubing. Cut into 5 and a half inch pieces. Slip over dumbbells or barbells - increases the diameter by about 3 eighths of an inch - fits in your pocket - does not retain odors - can also be used as hand padding on some lifts - pretty durable.

2. Pool Noodles. Available at Wal-Mart or Target, these colorful Styrofoam-like tubes are used by the kids for floatation. They have a half to three quarter inch hole down the middle - they come in different thicknesses. About 3-4 dollars for a five foot piece. Slice off some 5 and a half inch pieces. It is best to increase the size of the center hole by drilling with a one inch or one and one eighth inch bit. Then slice lengthwise. These are a lot thicker than the polyurethane - I interchange these for varying thickness. Not quite as durable but still pretty good. You can use the leftover length as a back roller - lie on floor with noodle between floor and back - then roll for a back massage. :tongue

I realized I needed more thick-bar work. Had my brother, who welds, make me a DB out of 1 1/2" pipe over which he slid another section of pipe over for the handle, and welded it in place. Then he knurled the handle. Not as nice as Pexter's work, but very serviceable. And I use a couple of Pexter's HD collars to secure the plates on it. After putting it thru the paces, I don't think I'll go back to using a reular DB. Now my brother is making me a thick-bar barbell from a piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe I found with inner collars welded on and knurling... should be done tonite. If you know somebody who welds, (I can't) it's easy to make. The knurling is just a plus, not really necessary. Good luck with your thick-bar training,

John Scribner

fat bastard dumbells, has some pretty good prices on thick dumbells, I am really tempted in getting some

...lie on floor with noodle between floor and back - then roll for a back massage. :tongue

:)

Personally I'd skip the knurling as without it you'll have to squeeze even harder. I'd suggest you have him make you another DB with an offset handle like a Holle.

The barbell if non-revolving will work great. I was in a commercial gym last week in DC and they had a thick power bar that I used for RDL's using a double over-hand grip and the thing didn't spin. Man were my forearms fried.. :blink

I've made quite a lot of stuff with an inexpensive MIG welder.

Personally I'd skip the knurling as without it you'll have to squeeze even harder. I'd suggest you have him make you another DB with an offset handle like a Holle.

The barbell if non-revolving will work great. I was in a commercial gym last week in DC and they had a thick power bar that I used for RDL's using a double over-hand grip and the thing didn't spin. Man were my forearms fried.. :blink

I've made quite a lot of stuff with an inexpensive MIG welder.

I agree, having the knurling on a thick bar is defeating the purpose, that's my opinion. Plus the knurling will eat up your skin if you use loads heavy enough to really challenge your grip.

The knurling on my bars is very fine and does offer some advantage, I'm sure, over a smooth finish. As far as defeating the purpose of thick-bar work....hmmm, I'm not sure, if it ultimately allows me to lift heavier weights. My forearms, and hands don't seem to care. I can feel every individual muscle in them after a good workout. An offset thickbar DB sounds like a good project for my brother, or my brother-in-law who made my loading pin and v-bar. At any rate, I'm likely to die of old age before I'm lifting in the same class as most of you younger guys. I'm just happy being a strong old geezer.

John Scribner

The knurling on my bars is very fine and does offer some advantage, I'm sure, over a smooth finish. As far as defeating the purpose of thick-bar work....hmmm, I'm not sure, if it ultimately allows me to lift heavier weights. My forearms, and hands don't seem to care. I can feel every individual muscle in them after a good workout. An offset thickbar DB sounds like a good project for my brother, or my brother-in-law who made my loading pin and v-bar. At any rate, I'm likely to die of old age before I'm lifting in the same class as most of you younger guys. I'm just happy being a strong old geezer.

John Scribner

If the knurling on your bars is very fine and you feel like your forearms and hands get a good challenge, sounds to me like they are very good tools. That knurling will probably allow you to use slightly bigger weights, which can be good for all-around development. I meant no offence with my earlier post, I guess it's just a matter of preference and you can't argue about that kind of things.

Good luck with your training!

No offense taken! :cool I enjoy reading your posts, and your command of the English language is very good, BTW. Have a great day,

John Scribner