12" Spike Bites The Dust!

bencrush

Got this bastard today! Felt invincible after a long day at work and a lot of coffee. I'm back to full strength. But this spike took everything I had and then some. Literally.

I salute the guys bending this crazy spike in 10 seconds!

It took me 5 minutes and 34 seconds of pulling and pushing and grunting and nearly passing out again. But I kept at it and finally it submitted to my will.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration to tackle the spikes! Definitely the coolest looking thing I've ever bent!

I'll try to load it to my gallery when I wake up.

Great bend :rock Good to see you back to form.

Way to go, Ben!

Very nice bend ben, this is a huge accomplishment. Before long this too will become a routine bend for you..

Caongrats on the big bend Ben thats very impressive. :rock:rock

Awesome bend, Ben!! :rock:rock

Thanks a lot guys! :rock

This was NOT an FBBC spike, although I'm considering buying a few today to give them a shot. I heard the FBBC spikes are every harder than what I bent. That is amazing considering how long this one took me.

Also a few questions on the spike certs: I used my foot (alternated both actually) to pull the spike against. Is that legal? I did not use padding on my thigh. Is it legal to use like a rolled up dish towel or maybe even just wrap a 3rd set of wraps around the middle of the spike?

The video is WAY too long to have someone post otherwise I'd ask for some critiques of it. But honestly I know exactly what I need more of. Strength! Just like usual. No excuses for this one.

But what an incredible amount of fun! I am sore today from all the pulling and pushing. Wow... :cool

nice bend Bencrush! i bought one (12 inch) and it's not like a nail. it's like a bolt. i think they are similar in strength. man i can't bend it. anyone does this is strong.

• 2 months later...

Great bend man. Won't be long until the 10 incher falls. :D

Great job! ;)

I'm sitting here with a bunch of FBBC spikes I got in the mail today. Can't wait to try em.

According to the Advanced Bender's Bags, you get 3 12" spikes and 2 10". But I also got a 8" spike, just as thick as the rest! Wonder if I EVER will bend that one :D

Edited by Mats Erik

Good job on bending that spike. I've recently gotten into bending the 3/8" x 12" timber spikes myself, and according to the FBBC rules I read you can brace against your body (knees, feet whatever). I still haven't tried bending a FBBC timber spike yet, but I feel I have an important technical tip to offer. Pad your knee with a couple of folded up washcloths, enough to pad your knee, but not too much to apply the force. Grabbing the spike on the ends with your last two fingers, give it a very powerful row and you should kink the nail very well. After that, move your knee just to the side of the center of the bend, and kink it just a little more. THAT, right there, was the key for me, doing a big kink followed by a smaller one. After that, just crush it as you normally would. I've gotten the technique down well enough that on a BAD bend, it may take me 20 seconds or so. However, in a show I did a few weeks ago, I had one that I did in about 8 seconds. It hurt like hell afterwards, but it can be done.

I hope this helps, because I need my fair share of help with unbraced bending. I just got a bunch of Grade 5's yesterday and bent them easy enough DU. But, I couldn't budge them at all with DO. This of course is in preparation for a Red or a Bastard. I've tried bending some 5/16" x 7" HR round using DO technique and thick hand pads (some leathers and Cordura) and can't even kink the steel. Maybe I just need more practice and lotsa time doing my G5 and G8 bends before I have the strength and speed needed for the big nails.