2002 U.S. Grip Strength Championships

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Guest Grip Strength 2002

The U.S. Grip Champs will no longer have the lever bar event and no event will take its place.  The reasons are mainly twofold:

1) The event will actually be quite boring to watch.  Figuring an average hold of 30 seconds and 2 minutes between contestants, and 20 contestants, the event will take roughtly 45 minutes to complete.  We are expecting to have many fans and spectators cheering us on and I can think of few things more boring than watching 20 people hold a stick.  For most of the spectators, this will likely be their first experience witnessing demonstrations of grip strength.  It's easy to imagine that a 350 pound DL on Apollon's Axle is difficult; it's much harder to imagine that holding 10 pounds at the end of a stick is difficult as well.

2) Subjectivity of judging.  We thought of making a cheap mold to place on the arm to completely eliminate bending at the elbow.  This however begins to get away from the standardization of events that we are seeking to have.  Without a brace of some kind, the judging becomes too subjective.

Now that that's out of the way, COME ON PEOPLE!  As of last Saturday there were 14 weeks to train for the U.S. Grip Champs and 12 weeks to train for the British Grip Champs.  To date, we've had less than a handful of people requesting entry forms for the U.S. contest.  Don't talk about what you DL'd on Apollon's Axle in your basement on the day of the contest.  Get out and do it at the contest.  Let's go boys and girls...

Guest reid73

Im going to compete though after doing my first pulls with the pinky and ring finger deads Im not sure that I will have those fingers left when the comp time come ,it felt like they were being riped out of the sockets and I only had 205 on the bar  :angry:

James

James,

Congratulations for getting your arse into gear and deciding to compete. By the way, I got your payment for the Topham book today, and will send it off.

David

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Yup.  My hat's off to you as well, James.  You should have received the entry form yesterday- let me know if you didn't.

The finger DL is going to be a tough event, as I've only begun working on this event as well.  Take it slow- it's easy to injure oneself on finger lifts if one becomes overzealous too soon.

I'm filling out my entry form while the internet loads. Mailing it off tomorrow. Any idea how I can practise the two finger deadlift I don't have any loops.

Guest reid73

Jeff you could just smash your pinky and ring finger in a door  :crazy  That might simulate the pain of the lift (just kidding btw)Maybe just doing them without the eagle loops until you can get some or fabricate something.

David ..glad to hear you got the payment I am looking forward to reading the book.I am going to send off subscription money for the 2nd year of IronGrip sometimes in the next week..if you back dat my subscripton(if that is possible?) and you havent mailed the Topham book just wait and mail it all together it should save ya some on shipping

Sure they take out the only event that I was Guaranteed to win  :p    I guess now we will never know lol

James

Guest OoklaTheMok

Jeff-

Maybe try buying a couple of 1 foot pieces of nylon webbing at Home Depot or something and fasten them together at the ends, then put them under the bar and pull the ends around it and up and put your ring finger through one end of the loop and your pinky through the other.  I think that is about as close as you will get without buying the Eagle Loops.

James, maybe we can have a 'special exhibition' where you do the vertical bar hold after the FW while we are tallying up the scores.  ;)

later...

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Hi Jeff.  I look forward to meeting you in August!  Congrats for getting out and competing.  Regarding how to train the fingers DL, one of the tremendous advantages of having a contest with standard equipment is that you don't have to rig up half-assed implements to train for an event properly.  Everyone knows exactly what will be used in the contest and everyone has access to that implement.  That said, I'm sure that you could rig something up resembling the Loops from a trip to Home Depot.