What Type Of Grip?

toe2toe

I was wondering what type of grip is ideal for lifting the vbar. Is it crush,pinch, etc. I just recieved a FBBC vbar about a month ago and hit a pr of 251 lbs. Wondering if this will help with other areas of my grip and what type. Thanks

it is a caint of supporting grip in wich u will also strengthen the tiny muscles between ur fingers.. i think

its something very good :)... just DO it

Edited by thabull

I was wondering what type of grip is ideal for lifting the vbar. Is it crush,pinch, etc. I just recieved a FBBC vbar about a month ago and hit a pr of 251 lbs. Wondering if this will help with other areas of my grip and what type. Thanks

Crush seems to carry over the best- Deep setting the gripper seems to be the most beneficial.

Training the vbar has no carry over to other grip events. If You train vbar - You are strong in the vbar. If You are strong overall - You are comparable strong in the vbar.

Conclusion: if You want to get strong avoid the vbar for grip training (and take a fatbar instead) - take it to get strong overall and do some scroll work with it! :laugh

The best way of getting stronger at vbar pulling would (other than doing just vbar) probably be tug-of-war.

Training the vbar has no carry over to other grip events.

BS. Do 5 sets of 3 reps with 150k. Then we can talk. There are hardly any grip exercises that compares to vbar (and bending) when it comes to toughen up the hands in general. Most people do a few singles and then conclude that there is no carry over to other areas of grip strength.

European National Records in vbar

England - 172.9k

Sweden - 167.8k

Holland - 156.5k

Switzerland - 151.5k

Germany - 134.0k

Edited by Mikael Siversson

The records are nice but irrelevant if it comes to the question concerning the carry over from vbar to other grip events. It proves absolutely nothing that the numbers are high. The competitors trained their grip and the vbar. The result is that they are strong in all grip events - so no evidence here.

For example: I would have beaten Martin A. in the vbar today. But I would never say "Uh, I have stronger hands than Martin" So there is no carry over.

The records are nice but irrelevant if it comes to the question concerning the carry over from vbar to other grip events. It proves absolutely nothing that the numbers are high. The competitors trained their grip and the vbar. The result is that they are strong in all grip events - so no evidence here.

For example: I would have beaten Martin A. in the vbar today. But I would never say "Uh, I have stronger hands than Martin" So there is no carry over.

Honestly no one knows exactly how much carry over there is for hardly any grip exercises. In vbar for example you would need to let an un-trained test individual max out in all sorts of grip exercises and then put him or her on a program comprising solely vbar. Then a year later or whatever period one finds appropriate you test the individual again.

We are to a large extent guessing, often in a more-or-less biased way, influenced by our inability to objectively evaluate our own pet lifts and hate objects.

For example vbar discussions on the GB typically deteriorate into a flame war between me and Germans.

I must say, however, that I did not understand your example with Martin. If you beat him in vbar you are stronger than him in the vertical support position. This is why we have several events in an allround grip competition so we get an overall winner.

For example vbar discussions on the GB typically deteriorate into a flame war between me and Germans.

I must say, however, that I did not understand your example with Martin. If you beat him in vbar you are stronger than him in the vertical support position. This is why we have several events in an allround grip competition so we get an overall winner.

I mentioned the example because I wanted to show that there is no carry over from vbar to other grip events. If there would be a carry over I would be much stronger. I "trainined" the vabr for the last Germans and set a national record. After that I did not trained the vbar and got better results in test workouts. In that time I trained much fatbar und pinch. I know that n=1 is not very scientific :rolleyes and You're right if You say that we guess a lot here - but that's all we can do by now.

We should not fight against each other only because of one event or different opinions, Mikael. I like grip as You do. :)

I have only been following the vbar discussions for around 6 weeks, but I don't see it that way at all.

Hubgeezer