what do you think is more impressive?

Guest scott essery

76 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think is more impressive?

• Rafter Chins (pinch grip chins)
    • Tearing 2packs of cards together
    • Bending 2x60d nails taped together
    • Plate curling 55lbs
    • 7.55k weaver stick
    • Lifting and walking with the Dinnie Stones

Of the above feats, I would have to say closing the 4, or should I say closing a gripper of a high IP.

Overall, though, I find pinch and one-hand lifting feats to be most impressive - just not necessarilty those options listed above.

Chris McCarthy

Hmm, I didn't actually think my weaver stick lift was all that for the reasons I stated when I did it.

I'm impressed by 1) the number 4 (any type), 2) Vertical bar lift - 'cos of the pain involved in the bigger lifts. 3) a table top wrist curl of over 600 pounds!! 4) Davids one hand pinch of 65 kilos - this will be more than some 2 hand!!!

Although the Dinnie is impressive I feel its as trainable as my partial deadlifts.

Scott - in answer to your question, I do think that Single Rafter pinch chins are damned impressive, but in comparison to, say, David Horne's 65kg single-hand pinch or 115kg double-hand pinch, it's the absolute weight that impresses me. Obviously to chin in this fashion you need to be able to hold your weight (plus a bit extra), so assuming that you have no shoulder problems and are a small (ish) man you can do them whilst being able to pinch grip much less than that weight. As to actual feats, (ie. being able to do something or not, as opposed to being able to gradually add more iron to a bar progressively), the 4 has only been closed by one man (or, arguably, 3, if you include Messrs Sorin and Brookfield), whilst there are many more who can (or have been) able to do these chins.

Sorry, I was not attempting to poke holes into the design of your poll, but I simply do not think that Rafter chins are the most impressive form of demonstrating pinch strength - although, of course, that would probably change if two standards could be met:

1) I could do them  

2) If I could see Mark Henry doing them  :)

Chirs McCarthy

Rafter chins would be the most impressive to the uninitiated.

Closing the #4 the least impressive.  I, being a new initiate,

am too arrogant to be impressed with anything.  Give me

a few years to discover my own weakness and I will

probably tell you that they are all equally impressive (except

for the rafter chins, any good double leg amputee can

do that).

I too say the #4, but for two reasons.

The first of which is that I comprehend how hard it is to do. With most of the other feats I have no experience in those areas and can not even begin to comprehend how hard they are.

The second of which is that only Kinney has closed the #4.

On a side note I find all feats listed to be quite impressive.

Guest 115-1005574997

Chris

there are two issues here.

1. How many people have achieved a feat.  If only 1 or 2 then its impressive

2. What would YOU be most impressed with if you could do it

3. Your opinion is always swayed by personal experience.

so there is no right or wrong answer, just what YOU feel is most impressive.

Im torn if you want my opinion.

I recon that I may be able to do rafter chins one day and will die trying (at 75k b/w ive pinched 70k on a 2" wide setup and in 10 years time may be able to work up to 90k)  Dave Horne recons you need 20k above b/w to do it but some people just cant.

Im respectful of the #4 or gripper over 530IP you can count on 1 hand the number of people that can close a >530IP and considering the popularity of the gripper, its impressive.

How many people have walked 5 yards with 2 rocks weighing in total 785lbs.  How many people can lift 2 stones weighing 785lb!

Also, no matter what Steve says, a world record is a world record mate! :)

It's hard for me to choose which would be more impressive from such a diverse list of strength feats.  I've only tried plate curls,  grippers, and the Dinnie Stones from the feats mentioned on your list.  I have not closed the #4 yet, or curled a 55 lb. plate yet.  I have lifted the Dinnie Stones but did not try to walk with them.  I doubt I would have gotten very far  with them!  That was possibly the hardest lift I have ever done but it was  much more than just grip strength.  I will say that lifting the Dinnie Stones would be much more physically demanding in terms of overall body strength than any of the other feats mentioned.  However that doesn't mean it would be more impressive.  We are all impressed in different ways.  In terms of just hand strength, I think I would be most impressed with the closing of the #4.  My #4 is rated at 586 and I would be #### impressed to see someone touch the handles together!

Kevin,

Give your #4 to Richard Sorin - he could do it!!  :p

Who was it that said that closing the #4 is "the least impressive"?  Really.... have you tried to close a #4??  Mine is PDA-rated at 535 IP, and I can't budge it!!  :crazy

To me, the most impressive feat would be lifting the Inch dumbbell overhead.  And please.... don't tell me that "so-and-so" is lifting it!!  Until I see that feat happen, it will be the most impressive to me!!  :)

I am with Snott on this one-raday-arrogant or not, the #4 will humble you quick.  Grab onto one and squeeze-use your leg-stand on it.  You will soon see the strength needed to mash that SOB!

Rick Walker :hehe

I don't have a #4 yet, and I'm not trying to say that it isn't hard, but a 55lb plate curl is hardest (& I don't think I need to try a #4).  Even harder than any #4 would be 50lbsx10 in either hand, but Scott didn't put that up. Of course I'm kind of biased because I'm not a big time gripper fan & plate curls are one of my pet lifts.  :D

The no.4 closing is the most impressive as a few guys have achieved all the other feats. I would say that pinching 3x15kg plates and a 700lbs Table Top Wrist Curl would be up there with the no.4 though.

Nick

I agree that closing a #4 is probably the most impressive of the list.  The plate curl could be up there, but strict form is essential.  It is too easy to let the wrist droop on the way up, making it easier.  Also, there is too much variation among 60d nails to make a blanket statement about that, and there are some pretty easy ones available.  If someone could bend two of the 60d's similar to the ones I've found without bracing (key element, bracing=cheating and should not be permitted for such a short bend) that would belong on the top of the list.  Just my .02.

Guest 115-1005574997

Termonator

I think its a bit harsh to say bracing is cheeting in nail bending and leting your wrsit bend back makes the lift 'easy'!

I guess he feels that way because all of his bends are done strict, no bracing.  I feel that same way about plate curls, if my wrist starts to bend, I quit.  I usually do plate wrist curls though, that way you either do it right, or you don't do it....

Bearcat,

I agree, if the wrist bends it's not a test of wrist strength as such and plate wrist curls are even more of a test of strength in the wrist. Curling a 20kg plate in a wrist curl would also be up there with closing the no.4. No ones done that yet!

Nick

Nick - I'm curious about how you wrist curl plates. I do them like table top wrist curls, just the top half. I never do the complete range of wrist motion with plates. When you say a 20 kg plate has never been wrist curled, do you mean throught the FULL range of motion or even just the top half as I've described?

Mike M.

Mike,

I do all my plate curls full range of motion and that includes the plate wrist curls. Doing it Table Top style would make the feat much easier but still impressive.

Nick