Adding Weight To The Inch

Ron Mazza

had a question for you guys... what is the best way to add weight to the inch? i've been duct taping plates to the bottom of the bell and i know this sounds strange, but even with the added weight it does not seem much more difficult at all. is it possible that the bell is being stabilized by the weight being taped to the bottom of the bell, thus reducing the rolling effect? if so, where is the best spot on the bell to place the added weights? thanks.

I have absolutely no experience with this, but it seems if you rolled it so the weight was on top of the bells it would increase the rotation and make it harder.

...or if the plates were on the side, that should increase the rotation. Someone (Mobster maybe?) rigged up a wooden shell that goes over the inch to add plates to... I think its in the gallery somewhere...

Add weight to the Inch? I hate you.

you can tap and dye some holes to bolt plates onto the ends vertically.

I was thinking this to...but then the price of the inch hit me and I said whhhooooaaaa.... you wouldnt want to mess up something that cost that much permanatly I wouldnt think at least thats my opinion about it...something to add weight but not to deface the inch would ultimatly be better.

I just think it's sick that you are even at the point that you have to ask this question. Crazy.

http://www.gaussboys.com/default.php?cPath...f10bc75e303152f

Neodymium magnets from Gaussboys will work. The link above shows the block magnets they have. I have several of the #15s that work well with adding weight plates to KBs on the bottom. Good for 2 1/2s, 5s and 10 lbers.

However, Block #18 is the better choice. It is rated to hold 70lbs. I can put a 20lb disc on the bottom of a KB with the #18 and sling it around without fear of losing the disc.

I was talking to Gaussboys yesterday and the #18s are in port right now waiting for clearance to come in.

The 18s cost $5. Put one of these 18s on the center point of each end and you will be good to go. You will have to really pry the plates off with some effort, when you need to release the weight plates.

I have been buying from Gaussboys for over 4 yrs and they are excellent to deal with.

Phone # if you would like to call them... 1-888-477-5250

That is just unbeliavable..to ask a question like that and I know by watching that (was it DieselCrew?) video that he's not joking.

As for the question, I would probably "ruin" my dumbbell by having short bars attached to the ends. After all it's just about getting stronger. I try not be too attached to my equipment. I'm fully aware that this Inch replica dumbbell is expensive, but still.. I know that some guys find it hard to even file down their grippers.

How about making the handle even thicker? But you have probably done that allready, I guess.

use your superman laser vision to weld them to the ends, then just rip them off when needed :bow:bow

This is a question I never thought I see - How to make an Inch heavier? :whacked Most of us mere mortals try to make it feel lighter - not heavier. Seriously, magnets are probably the best bet with out doing any damage to the Dumbbell itself. The weighted magnets are pretty accurate by themselves but will hold onto about anything. The stronger magnets will hold additional plates if you want that as well.

Adding weight to the end of the globes with magnets is the best way to increase the weight and the rotation. Adding the weight to the "thumb-side" of the bell will make the rotation much more difficult - like the Holle it up does. But there's the problem that You always have to lift the bell in the same position which makes it difficult to estimate the progress.

Making the handle thicker is IMO the best way to increase the difficulty level (to a certain degree).

BTW: Pay attention to Your fingers with those magnets!! I own a magnet which holds 35kg - it breaks bones if You don't take care.....

Perhaps You should think about the MDB?!?

I've never heard about magnets that powerful and cheap before, that is a good idea. I might use that to make my kettlebells heavier. I'll have to ask if they deliver here.

I'm curious to know, how far from the computer you have to keep those? I was just wondering, because I have a small apartment.

I'm curious to know, how far from the computer you have to keep those? I was just wondering, because I have a small apartment.

I would recommend a minimal distance of 40-50cm to the computer. But to be sure I'm attaching my biggest magnet on the top of my powerrack - so nothing and noone is in danger. :D I've seen a picture of a magnet mangled PC screen on a german site (supermagnete.de) where they sell those magnets - it looks interesting but it's irreversible. :laugh The degauss function won't solve the problem and it will cost a lot of money to repair this! I can't say it clearly enough: take care about those magnets - even a 2,4kg holding magnet can cause little cuts! :blush

I would recommend a minimal distance of 40-50cm to the computer. But to be sure I'm attaching my biggest magnet on the top of my powerrack - so nothing and noone is in danger. :D I've seen a picture of a magnet mangled PC screen on a german site (supermagnete.de) where they sell those magnets - it looks interesting but it's irreversible. :laugh The degauss function won't solve the problem and it will cost a lot of money to repair this! I can't say it clearly enough: take care about those magnets - even a 2,4kg holding magnet can cause little cuts! :blush

OK, thanks for the information, I don't want to mess up my hard drive with those magnets. :) I was glad to notice, that gaussboys do deliver international orders. I'm just not sure yet, which magnets would be best for my purpose, which is to add weight to the kettlebells. I was thinking of those ring magnets, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the warning, I don't want those magnet related injuries.. ;)

Hello Ron,

David Horne made a wooden frame that actually fits over the dumbbell and you can then add weight to it.

David brought this down to my garage and lifted around 230 lbs with it !!!!

There are photos of this in the old gallery section for an idea of what i'm talking about .

Best of luck.

thanks for all the input fella's... and chris that 230 lb. lift by david was definitely a nice lift! i think what i'll do is duct tape the plates to the left side of the bell and hopefully that will actually increase the rotation making it more difficult. thanks again.

I had rigged up a thick cloth strap that had cord through it on each side of the globe to add weights, the strap was fixed to the bell with velcro on strap and bell itself...worked great...looked terrible and I have since taken the rig off. I don't think you could add a lot this way but I added around 12 easily (a 3lb weight on each side of the globe).

:blink:bow:bow:bow when I grow up I want to be strong like you :D .

• 4 months later...

Just ordered some magnets. Been meaning to ever since I saw this threead materialize. Looking to add them to the inch, blob, kettlebells... Should be great.

I have rubbercoated magnetic add on weights... contact me if you need something that will not "alter" the feel or lessen the difficulty of lifting the unique shape of the inch,blob etc. Remember, anything that restricts the rotation or balance of the Inch (while even making it heavier) DOES take away from the feat. The day my first Inch arrived it was attached firmly to a small wooden pallet and in my excitement I actually bent over rowed it and thought"this isn't bad". As soon as it was removed from the restraining, underslung wooden tether ...............it became real hard! To preserve the "validity" of the feat the added resistance should be located and centered equally on each end of the bell to allow it to rotate unassisted or affected in either direction. RS

• Like 1

Call me stupid but i still don't see how the offset handle causes the inch to rotate more than a revolving handle, i don't doubt it does but can anyone explain it precisely. I mean if it was offset surely wouldn't you pick it up when the handle is at the highest point to prevent rotation?

It must be offset in a different way than i imagine.

Call me stupid but i still don't see how the offset handle causes the inch to rotate more than a revolving handle, i don't doubt it does but can anyone explain it precisely. I mean if it was offset surely wouldn't you pick it up when the handle is at the highest point to prevent rotation?

It must be offset in a different way than i imagine.

The handle is not offset. Mull this info over for a bit. This explanation was submited a few years ago right here on the board by a former member named Nathan. probability theory of the inch rotation.

There is a formula for the moment of inertia of a sphere. Since a sphere's mass m=(density)x(4/3)x(pi)x(radius)^3, the moment of inertia is I=(2/5)x(mass)x(radius)^2. That's the rotational equivalent of mass. A rotating body with a big moment of inertia is hard to keep from rotating, just as a barbell with a big mass is hard to lift off the floor. (^2 means squared & ^3 means cubed if you didn't already know) So if the mass stays the same, the moment of inertia would increase by 2/5 for every unit the radius is increased. The units are kg*m^2 (say kilogram-metres squared)

Barbender, also a member here, followed Nathan`s post with this observation:

The rotational inertia formula given is for a solid sphere rotating about a diameter of the given sphere. To calculate the rotational inertia for a dumbbell we first need to decide on an axis of rotation. Nathan's point is correct in that the rotational inertia increases as the spherical diameter of each bell increases.

Edited by zcor