Hows the training Going Michael?

Guest scott essery

Guest 77-1005097254

Scott. The training is going well and i'm really looking forward to it!!  I have been doing the stones onto the barrels for the past couple of weeks and improving steadily. There is a fair amount of technique involved with the stones, as well as the other events. My weak link at the moment is the log press but i will do my best on the day. Had a good deadlift hold ( car ) today with a 59 second hold. I am really enjoying the strongman training and feel very lucky to have this great bunch of guy's to train with, even though i'm alway's getting a slagging for trying to use my "lower back" for every exercise!

Thanks.

Michael.

Hey Mike, good luck. I went to that event last year and met a M/Mobster by the name of Gordon Rea as well as Dave Webster.

The best hold I seem to recall at last years was only 45 secs so you're well in there.

Make sure you make the turn slowly on the Farmers walk and then speed up as you staighten. Chris James went to quick on the turn and twisted his ankle.

Oh and one other thing. Dougie Edmunds will up the stakes on one or two of the events. Viz the overhead press - by the way they used an olympic bar with wheels on to which weight was added last year. Starting weight was 100 kilos which almost everyone did so he made the jump a massive 20 kilos. Low only 5 managed it and then another 10 kilos and there was just the 2 left. Be warned!

Last but not least. There is no warming up so be prepared and make sure you have enough food/fuel (although the 1/2 pounders sold on the burger stalls were lovely as I recall).

Guest 77-1005097254

Steve.  Thanks for the tips and your right about slowing down at the turn in the Farmers Walk as i have found out with the 120kg cylinders because if you try to turn to fast they start swinging all over the place. The farmers at Blair Atholl will be lighter so i shouldn't have that problem. I didn't know that Chris James had competed there last year. I don't know Gordon Rea but will ask the guy's i train with if they know him or Chris. I think you would do "very" well on the dead lift hold yourself as that partial deadlift weight your up to is amazing!!

Thanks.

Michael.

Hi Michael, Chris didn't compete in this comp he was in the Welsh Strongest Man (or a qualifier) the day after the OH dinner.

Re the deadlift etc. Finally, having ordered the #### thing in February, my custom made bar arrived. Looks real good and weighs in at 58.6 lbs. I measured the loading ends and they are 18 inches and the knurling is great - just right - on the 1.5 inch bar. They zinc plated it and took £25.00 off due to the long wait.

Now we'll see what I can do - I'm fired up for 480 kilos!! :D

Sorry to take this thread in a different direction, but I have a quick question to ask - what are the best reported deadlift lockouts (using whatever different thickness of bars) without straps? I seem to remember reading (and seeing the phoyo) of Richard Sorin having done over 1200lbs on a normal bar? Has anyone any more feats? It seems to me that this could well be on my list of feats to concentrate on for this year, assuming I can find enough plates... :hehe

Guest 115-1005574997

Steve

480k is good and with your new bar should make it a bit easier.

I remember Dave Horne telling me he used to do partial deadlifts at one time and wonder if he could offer you some tips and suggestions.

Dave

Did you train in a particular way and what sort of bar did you use when you hoisted 676k for a single and where reping >480k for 20 reps?  Did you have any problems getting a long enough bar?

Scott,

I used the one hand lift set-up, with obviously a bar attached to it instead of a one-hand handle. Steve's seen it.

I started off with reps then brought it down to singles. Yes, 676k was my best lift done in the 1993 Stafford Backbreaker Champs. Backbreaking it was, with a 814K Hip Lift, 754k Harness Lift and 326k Neck Lift to finish off as well!

Steve,

A word of caution for you. It was 2 months after this at the British All-Round champs that I blew my knee/leg on this lift with a second lift of 600k (watch the gory video when you come up). Done on my birthday would you believe it! After a year away from leg work, surgery and a lot of rehab, the first time I have done any big partials since was the training for the one hand lift last year.

Anyway, be carefull, and have fun, David

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

Some pretty amazing numbers.  I think my car weighs 800k!

What’s the difference between a hip lifts and harness lift?

was the 676k done hand and thigh style or just pure grip?

You’ve told me about that video a few times, maybe me and Jim should watch it, just in case we have any ideas about heavy partials!  Ouch :)

Scott,

The Hip Lift has a 4" wide piece of webbing around your hips. You know the green one in the gym.

The Harness was over each shoulder.

The 676k was done with a overhand grip, locked onto my thighs. But prior to getting the apparatus I had, and knowing how to lift in that style, I got close to 600k on a normal bar, loaded with discs, and those large 100k grinding wheels and all sorts hanging off it; lifting with a reverse grip. Not ideal as you had to move your hands around to find the balance!

Yes, view that video and hear the snapping (like a baseball bat being snapped), and you'll never go any where near a heavy partial.

David

Other than the fear of lifting huge weights that Mr Hornes story will be giving some of you (there are hip lifts and such like in the 2000 pound plus range done without injury) the biggest problem is a tearing off of callus's (sp). That hurts, but only after the workout. Nick McKinless had a story about gluing his finger together and I am sure Dave does too.

Bottom line - Its Barbarian in the gym no matter what - 480+ here I go.

NB: Richard Sorins lift was 1330 and Chris James has exceeded 1200

In have seen that video and was up to around 550kg on a partial deadlift in a rack using a reverse grip. I stopped doing them after I saw the video :crazy . Steve Justa's 2000lb partial with an overhand grip is possibly the best in this style of lifting. Good luck with 480kg plus Steve and be careful mate.

Nick

Guest baldy

Justa's hand and thigh lift was on a 1.5" piece of cold rolled steel with 2 barrels (appears to be 55 gallon drums) welded on either end with steel plates reinforcing it. Obviously this is a non-revolving setup. ROM looks to be about 2" or so in the picture. Check out "Rock Iron Steel" to see it for yourself, it is a good read on all around strength.

Incidentally, Justa also said he did either a 1700 or 1800 lb quarter squat. That is up there with Bud Jeffries, if it is true.

A word or two on torn calluses. If you are prone to getting big calluses on your hands and they tend to tear giving you bleeding flappers, sand them off. It sounds like a nancy boy thing to do but it works. Gym climbers often have this problem and using sand paper to remove your calluses on a rest day stops painful flappers. Try it if you like.

mike m.