How Many Grade 8's Before A Red?

Slider454

I was just wondering How many Grade 8's did all you red nail benders have to bend before the RED nail fell? Also about how many in a row with little to no rest will I have to bend before I Bend a red I am currently up to around 3 in a row...maybe 4 but havent tried...I just placed an order for 100 grade 8's and 100 grade 5's they should be here in a few days.....just looking for your input.

Three, I think.

My deal was more a technique issue, though (I didn't have any, then I got some).

lol John where did you order your technique from lol....yea I bent a red a while back but I was feeling real strong that day (for some reason) and I was really pissed off at something and it took over 15 mins to bend it full....then I ended up hurting my shoulder later that week and had to take a long lay off from bending.....I tried one just the other day and put a decent bow in it but couldnt really get it to kink...I am going to be hammering down some grade 8's in these next week or so and maybe I can do it...but I think I have the power to do it...its just the extra length really throws me off....maybe I can learn something from the GGC coming up in June.

Two issues one start bending 5.5 grade 8's to increase your strength, and then hit some 7 in 5/16 grade 2 bolts to get used to the length of reds. Its a jump from 6in grade 8's to a red. the 5.5 are actually a little harder on crushdown than the red but similar on kink. Really work on explosion if you are doing volume work with 6in grade 8's.......some other things, are your wraps as tight as you can possibly get them? this can make a huge difference.. and are you exploding into the bars?...be patient it will come, cont to bring your strength up slowly and steadily.............Brett

Edited by kerbjr

i went from 5'' g5's to a red nail equivalent. i just recently bent my first grade 8 and had already bent several I.M. reds. however, i did have a huge problem getting consistant because i feel uncomfortable with 7'' bars and i did backtrack to 1/4'' square briefly, just to get the feel for the longer bars. now that i'm better at reds and have tried g8's i can say that they are one of my favorite bends and i wish i would have got them sooner, some volume with them would have deffinately helped.

I would agree with John, I did a few grade 8s DU and then when I learned DO technique it went from one G8 to three IM Reds. I had already put a lot of time into G5s working volume and a few 5.5" G8s for power as Kerb suggested. My student Keeton went through half a dozen G8s before he hit three Reds in a day. The 7" length throws off the technique a great deal. Once you have established a good kinking and crush down power with G8s you should concentrate on the 7" length for feel and technique. After that the Red will come quick.

-Sean

I have tried a 5 inch Grade 5 and couldnt hardly budge it...but I can smoke a grade 8....and I can put a decent bow in the red...I am confident of my crushing power....I can crush a red easily...its the kink thats getting me.....once I get some more grade 8s under my belt I will whack a half inch off one and see how it goes....the 7 inch 5/16 grade 2 sounds like an option I will try.....I am going to try another red this coming monday and will post how it goes.....I am getting stronger though...I remember my pr a few months ago was a 60D bright common...now its not even a warm up lol.....I just tried breaking nails again...my pr on this around 5 weeks ago was just a yello nail....I just now broke a 60D bright common........The red is coming baby!!!!

I'd get some 7" x 1/4 " square to bridge the gap & get used to the longer stuff. That was a problem for me, too. I might know somewhere that sells it.......

I'd get some 7" x 1/4 " square to bridge the gap & get used to the longer stuff. That was a problem for me, too. I might know somewhere that sells it.......

really??? Where??? lol Hey that might be just an idea to get this from you though...I can get some 1/4 square but its zinc coated and its only 12 inches long so I am left with a 5 inch piece that I know I couldnt touch....if you sell it already in 7" sizes I wouldnt mind buying some from ya!!

some other things, are your wraps as tight as you can possibly get them? this can make a huge difference..

wait a minute, what do you mean by that? The tighter the wraps the easier the bend? or vice versa? I really don't know but i use the pad to avoid injuries.

really??? Where??? lol Hey that might be just an idea to get this from you though...I can get some 1/4 square but its zinc coated and its only 12 inches long so I am left with a 5 inch piece that I know I couldnt touch....if you sell it already in 7" sizes I wouldnt mind buying some from ya!!

But of course I do. Fat Bastard Barbell has all of your bending needs.

some other things, are your wraps as tight as you can possibly get them? this can make a huge difference..

wait a minute, what do you mean by that? The tighter the wraps the easier the bend? or vice versa? I really don't know but i use the pad to avoid injuries.

Loose wraps = slippage & lost force. If your wraps move, you can't put everything against the bar.

But of course I do. Fat Bastard Barbell has all of your bending needs.

Loose wraps = slippage & lost force. If your wraps move, you can't put everything against the bar.

Yep what he said.... :cool Try it and you will see the difference....Brett