Question for Wannagrip

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

Last week, you suggested I try one week of single-rep overcrushes on my PDA 363 gripper in order to finally close my IM No. 3. Long story short, it worked. I made three attempts today on the No. 3, closing it on the first attempt without question (I'd stuck a small piece of putty at the bottom of one handle, and the imprint was driven in to the metal), then failing on the second, and not coming close on the third -- fatigue!

Although I'm happy I closed the No. 3, I know it's nowhere as consistent as I want it to be before I have some IM rep come by to certify me (much less to get a photo). So should I continue with another week of overcrushes with the PDA 363 and try the No. 3 again in one week's time to see if maybe I can get two solid closes? Or would you change the routine?

Like I said, it's nice I know I can close it. Now, I want to close it whenever I want to.

David

Congrats!

Did you feel recovered?

How old are you?

How long you been grip training with the grippers?

How long did it take you do do the 2?

Did you do it every other day?

What was your last workout...only 3 attempts?

How long were the overcrushes?

Guest DavidHW

<<<Congrats!>>>

Thanks, but it won't count until I can get a photo. :-)

<<<Did you feel recovered?>>>

Yes, I did. I did the overcrushes for two straight days, then every other day, for a total of four overcrushing sessions between your original advice and today's close.

<<<How old are you?>>>

I'm 34.

<<<How long you been grip training with the grippers?>>>

IIRC, I got my first one from IM last July.

<<<How long did it take you do do the 2?>>>

Two weeks after closing the No. 1, which I closed right out of the package.

<<<Did you do it every other day?>>>

The overcrushes with the PDA 363? Yeah, except for when you'd originally said do them every day for five days -- I did two days in a row. Thing was, my hand adapted pretty quickly to the heavier load, which surprised me.

<<<What was your last workout...only 3 attempts?>>>

3 x No. 1

2 x No. 2

1x No. 3

(the two failed after that with the No. 3)

<<<How long were the overcrushes?>>>

I tried to keep them jarring and under 4 seconds like you said. My last overcrush with the 363 was on Thursday night, and it was a monster . . . a ferocious click and scraping sound accompanied it. :-)

Is that enough info for you to work with, oh Jedi Master of Grip? <g>

David

Now do them every day.  2-3 overcrush singles.  Maximum force is what you are looking for. Make sure you rest a day before your regular workout. Then, next workout double your attempts at the 3.  

Don't be concerned if your strength drops off a bit near the end of the week before your real workout.  

Give me feedback during the week on how it is going.  We might adjust.

Here is something I posted elsewhere.  Keep in mind, no matter what program you do, this must be an ingredient!

You MUST be determined. Do NOT go thru the motions when doing this program. ATTACK your reps like your life depended on it.  

Joe is one tough mother. Period. He was determined. BIG TIME.

You must reach that level of mental toughness. You must destroy the gripper!!!!

Guest DavidHW

I will do as you suggest during the coming week and report back with my progress.

Thanks so much for the advice. :-)

D.

Guest DavidHW

Thanks, guys. I think the overcrushes will get me to the kind of consistency I need for certification. I'm going with the advice they give in powerlifting: for your opening lift, do no more than what you can get for a triple if you were having your worst lifting day ever. When I can triple the No. 3, I'm calling Ironmind.

One or two more weeks of Wannagrip's workout should do it. :-)

David

This is just a small portion of the program.  

Forget doing a triple. Just be able to do multiple singles with the 3.  Once you do that you will be able to hold it to get a good pic.

Also, just to add...

With the full KTA program, hopefully with others experimenting it will show more proof that the hands are not like other parts of the body with respect to training.  I think so anyway.  But, that's just my conclusion. Either that or they recover MUCH MUCH faster than any other part of the body when "trained".

I agree Wanna that hands seem to recover rather quickly.

If you take a look at the hand strength of moving men, farmers, plumbers, carpenters or any other hand intensive occupation, these folks all have powerfull hands. They don't train for it, they just use their hands every single day. Day in day out.

Guest DavidHW

Update:

Well, I think my hands have hit a wall.

One week ago, I closed the No. 3 for one. For three straight days after that, I did 2-3 overcrushes with my PDA 363, until last Thursday, when my hands were just too tired -- I couldn't even close the PDA 363 on that workout day.

So I rested until today, and much to my disappointment, the No. 3 felt *harder* this week. I came close on a 1st attempt but couldn't even get to parallel on the second. Given the lethargy in my closing attempts, my guess is my hands are still recovering.

I hope so. :-(

David