Trained with Jeff Roark

Bearcat 74

Jeff Roark made the trip down from Kentucky on Sat to train.  Jeff started off with some DL's, 320 for 10 singles I think.  He is working up to 525@175 for the goal.  I bowed out after 5-6 pulls, Jeff did get to see the Heath style of deadlifting.  His response, "man, your form sucks."  Then we go to bottom postion SQ's, he worked up to 340x4 and 365x1, these were about 2" below parallel for him, impressive I must say.  Then, he MANGLED his BBM, I mean MANGLED it.  From there is was overhead presses and close grip work.  He 1 arm cleaned 135, I was impressed, I'd never seen it done before.  Then we did 2 hand pinch, he went up to 160 something, and then to grippers.  He mashed the BBM again, got my 3 down to 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" twice, and then his to 1".  He has a very tough #3, very wide.  Then he did 7 reps with his #2.  From there we fooled with my 100lb anvil, IDB bar, and my 32.5lb blob.  

I squeezed a few grippers, and just tried to keep up.  Jeff is a real powerhouse, and has very good technique.   I'm really looking forward to training with him again.  

Baldy, you're next.  I'm gonna try to come your way on Saturday.

Bearcat,

Do you know how long Jeff has been training, and how old is he?  That is very good.... has he entered any PL contests??  I am just starting out on my OL lifts.  Maybe he can give me some advice.

I had my first powerlifting practice with the club I joined last friday. The coach tought I was a beginner and said he was going to show me the lifts. I told him I did the lifts for a few years. Then I showed him the serious stuff. 550 regular style deadlift, 500 x 3 squat and 850 below the knees partial deadlift.

I then did some plate curls with a 25 and pinched 2 35's for 30 seconds. No other guy in the club managed to curl the 25 even for 1 rep. Needless to say that the 35 didn't break the ground.

I'll be competing in the 100k next autumn. Have to make 1507 to go to the nationals. With a good bench, I should be ok

I'd like to train with a grip master but in any case, this would be a couple of days on the road.

Guest Neal Bates

Bearcat, just curious, how did y'all do on the overhead stuff. The press is a favorite exercise of mine, so I like to see how I compare with those who've been lifting longer than me.

Guest Jeff Roark

Heath and everyone else,

I had a blast! That was one of the most fun workouts I have had in a long time! Heath and his partner Chris Carson are two of the best people you would ever want to meet. I am a little awestruck at Heath. He has potential that is terrifying. He has alot to learn and when he gets the experience and the exposure to great lifters like I have had it is going to be something. I was making fun of him in about having his first "sticking point". The young man has never had one, up until now. How would you like to have your first sticking point 1/8 inch away from a #4? Boy that would be just terrible wouldn't it? I watched this most humble young man destroy that elite 3 times and held it closed 10 seconds or more!

This is something I will be doing quite regular now. He is only 1 1/2 hours away from me. I look foward to the next year of freindship and training with this young man. I must say I have made a good freind. Heath I look foward to you coming up and lifting in the barn, with all the mosquitoes, flies and gnats, no A/C several stinking animals and a ton of fun, oh yeah bring your #3 will you?

Oh yeah I one arm cleaned 135lbs on a 7 foot bar, I used a curl, hook grip to do it. Did Heath mention he did the same overhand no hook? Well he did.

Jeff, glad to hear you guys had a good session.  You have cemented what I have always suspected, that Heath just doesn't realize how strong he really is.  I will be fortunate to put him through some additional fun at the end of June......please don't teach him too much form between now and then.  And for all the gripper fans out there, I know how hard that particular Elite (that Heath held mashed for over 10 seconds) is.  It is extremely wide, handles set to bottom of coil, and starts and ends like a brick, no mush whatsoever.  Hardest non-#4 gripper I ever seen.  Good thing Heath is such a nice guy.....scary :crazy

Darn Tennessee water.....

Guest Jeff Roark

Pat,

You are going to have a hoot when you see the Heath deadlift technique! I kind of quickly demonstrated the right way, he tried it, said that way hurts, I like my way better. It made me hurt just thinking about it. This young man has the potential to be a legend if he dosen't hurt himself in between. Also Pat, to talk and hang out with him you would never know he does any of this stuff.

One more point I'd like to make for all those who just don't beleive Kinney could have closed the #4. Heath made me a beleiver that it has been done, can be done and will be done many times in the future. He has got this far on natural ability. I hate to say it but I don't think Heath has really had to work the kind of hard I have had to work on things. He needs to get upset or pissed or something when training and when he finally does get that pissed state watch out because I think he has the ability to go #4+. Tetting will come in handy for Mr. Sexton one day....

Jeff, I'm still real sore, I think Carson may have died on us. I haven't heard from him.  His hands were barely functional when you left.  

Jeff will close the #3 one day, and pinch 45's.  His #3 is a real bear, I know I said that eariler, but it is.  As for myself and the 4, it will be awhile..... 

Carson and I will defenintly make the trip up to the barn.  My #3 will certainly make the trip.  You're welcome at my house anytime.

Pat, I don't think technique will help, I think I just need to get stronger.  I am really looking forward to June.  You and Steve can laugh at me as I wimp-up ya'll warm-up weights.......

Guest Jeff Roark

Neal,

What do you want to know about the overhead work? I do presses behind the neck at the time because it is actually more comfortable for me. I have worked up to 170lbsx3 on the standing press behind the neck. I hope to be able to get close to 200lbsx1 by the end of the year. I would eventually like to do 130% of my bodyweight for a strict single but that will be some work.

Snott,

What kind of questions on the O-lifts do you have. I would generously answer what I can. If I can't help you I'll put you in the right direction. Joe Roark will be getting a tape of me doing the one hand stuff and the o-lifts soon, after he is finished you are welcome to watch it. You just need to arrange it with Joe and let me know where it is going when you finish.

Heath- yeah you smoked me on the grip stuff, but my calves are prettier than yours...Hahahahah. How about you come up on June the 14th, lift stay all night, then go to the Kentucky Strongest man comp with me?

Guest baldy
Baldy, you're next.  I'm gonna try to come your way on Saturday.

Sounds like a plan. I am intrigued about the deadlifting form now, don't fix it before I get to see it too. :)

Jeff, below parallel bottom pos squat with 365 is impressive.

Guest Jeff Roark

Thanks Baldy,

Heath also did the 365 same depth. I am 5'5 he is 6 foot plus so does that say something? I have done 440 at a little above parallel, and 400 right at or a little below parallel. Its not that much honestly. When I can move 500 from parallel I'll be doing something. hope you and Heath have a good one this weekend, he'll make a beleiver out of you, I'm telling you...

Jeff,

The tape has not arrived yet, but when it does, I

most certainly hope it does not focus on your 'pretty

calves'. If so, it will be forwarded quickly to the

next victim!

Guest Neal Bates

Jeff, I was just curious about weights/reps, that sort of thing. I like to know what kind of numbers others are putting up. I got a PR a few weeks ago in the Millitary press of 145 and just missed 150. I guess that's nothing special but it sure feels good considering where I started at! My first workout using the OHP I barely managed 8 reps with 55! I have tried the PBN a few times but it always bothered my shoulders. 200 Lbs by the end of the year is my goal also, but progress is starting to slow down of late. Good luck.

Neal,

Guest Jeff Roark

Neal,

Tell me about it! I have to bust a gut for every ounce I gain. My best is 190lbsx1 at 180lbs. I am now 190lbs and a bit weaker. All I can say is press as hard and heavy as you can. I was doing higher reps awhile back, 12s actually. I have now dropped to 5 reppers. This weekend I used higher reps with Heath and it busted my rear end. I am going to try to work up to 185x2x5 in the PBN, that for sure should put me in the 200lbs range. For me to do 130% of bodyweight press will be a long,long range goal.