What gripper to start with?

MJlifta

I have wanted to start on the CoC grippers for awhile but until just recently I haven't had the money to spend on them.  Now I do and I want to know where i should start with them.  I have never used a CoC so I don't know where I would stand strength wise but I did buy some $3 grippers from Dicks, the firmest ones they had, and got 30 reps easy both hands, I still work with them, mostly holds, but I want something a bit more challenging to make my grip stronger.  Also I am an avid deadlifter and so have a somewhat stronger than average grip I think because of that.  The question is if since I already have some gripping strength if I could just skip the trainer and go to the #1, or even the #2, the only thing is that although I do now have a job(my first actually) I still am not making much money so it would be best if I could buy as few grippers as possible.  Any advice would be appreciated.

most have reported that they were capable of doing 30 reps with the #1 before crushing the #2.  I would say get the #1 and the #2.  If you just get the #2 and you cant close it-you will be S.O.L. and the same if the #1 is too easy.

Not many can close the #2 straight out of the shrink wrap.  I thought my grip was good from heavy deads and the #2 humbled me at first.  I have a good friend who pulls over 700 and the #2 stopped him as well.  with the use of the alternated grip on the deads, your grip strength isnt really a huge factor!  

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest Neal Bates

I asked the same question a couple months back. I was advised by Bearcat 74 to go with the Trainer. I'm glad I listened. My grip wasn't a strong as I had thought. Yeah, I closed it with both hands right out of the box but only twice with my right hand and once (barely) with the left. AS BC  said even if the T had been easy I could have used it for strap holds until I got the #1 and then I could use it to warm up with. Just some points you might want to consider.

Neal,

I'm with Neal on this one.

Guest Jeff Roark

I am also in agreement. MJ, remember that there are many more ways to train your grip other than the grippers and I am talking crushing work too. I know how it is to be short on the cash, so look around for things to borrow... you know tools, anvils, thickbars or anything you can find layin around. A pair of plyers and a good bucket can also work.

Guest mikebyoung

If you can ONLY get one gripper and you feel you have a decent grip now, I would say go for the #1. I like having the Trainer to warm up with, but you could always use your cheapos for that. I would think that for most, the #2 is much too strong as a starting point.

The difference between the T and the #1 is nothing like the jump from 1 to 2.