Makeshift Block Weight For Training

aeroman

I came up with an idea for a makeshift block weight. I have a lot of standard 10lb plates laying around that I could spot weld together in different weights. I could also do the same with 5lb plates to get used to a wide grip without all the weight and then hang extra weights from the hole as I build up. This way I wouldn't have to go out and buy hex dumbbells and cut them. If I needed to I could cut them back apart, without too much damage, to again use them as single plates. Is this a good or bad idea? I have never trained block weights before so let me know what you think.

Karl

I came up with an idea for a makeshift block weight. I have a lot of standard 10lb plates laying around that I could spot weld together in different weights. I could also do the same with 5lb plates to get used to a wide grip without all the weight and then hang extra weights from the hole as I build up. This way I wouldn't have to go out and buy hex dumbbells and cut them. If I needed to I could cut them back apart, without too much damage, to again use them as single plates. Is this a good or bad idea? I have never trained block weights before so let me know what you think.

Karl

I think that this would work temporarily, but I would look around for some cheap blockweights. I bought some from someone on this board (35#, 45#) for $30 that were already cut. I have also heard of people finding good deals at Play it Again Sports or used discount sporting goods stores.....Good luck...

Karl

I'd say go with what you got for a while, then get some blocks made out of dumbbells if you feel you would need those. Good idea, I think. if you weld them together, you could do some tossing with them too, which would be difficult if you just put a bar through the holes.

Rather than welding the plates together, just cut a piece of 3/4" pipe and use collars or hose clamps to hold the weights in place.

Here is an even better idea - http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=8211

I like that pvc-blob too, only problem is that I haven't found out where to get lead shot for reazonable prize, it's expensive here.

I would be very reluctant to weld cast iron wts - welding cast iron is a very tricky bidniss and way beyond my welding skills. You might get lucky or the welds might crack unexpectedly. Go for the rod thru the middle and if you want permanent weld large washers onto the rod for keepers. Alternatively just bolt them together with some kind of spacer.

Afterthought: lead shot. Go by a place that mounts and balances auto tires and ask for their discarded wheel weights. You likely will get a barrel or two for just scrap prices or less!. You can, if you like melt these on your stove and cast them. the steel clips float ! The lead is an alloy thats a bit harder than plain lead but for wts its just fine

Edited by 4lbhammer

Afterthought: lead shot. Go by a place that mounts and balances auto tires and ask for their discarded wheel weights. You likely will get a barrel or two for just scrap prices or less!. You can, if you like melt these on your stove and cast them. the steel clips float ! The lead is an alloy thats a bit harder than plain lead but for wts its just fine

Thank you for the tip, I appreciate it. I'll see if I can find a place like that nearby.