Technique Question

don chi

I just started bending a little while ago using both DU and DO. When the steel gets a little tougher I can't get it kinked. To get it started I'll kind of bend it over one of my hands. Once it's kinked a bit I can then finish it. I know it's kind of a crud description, but does anybody know what I'm talking about? My question is if that is acceptable. Stuff I can't budge DU or DO goes relatively easy that way. I've tried doing a search but haven't been able to find anything.

One other thing, I bent a piece of 3/16" square stock and it snapped. Is this a sign of cheap steel, it was purchased at Home Depot. It didn't actually snap more like cracked when the ends were about 1" apart. Thanks for any help for a new bender guys.

I just started bending a little while ago using both DU and DO. When the steel gets a little tougher I can't get it kinked. To get it started I'll kind of bend it over one of my hands. Once it's kinked a bit I can then finish it. I know it's kind of a crud description, but does anybody know what I'm talking about? My question is if that is acceptable. Stuff I can't budge DU or DO goes relatively easy that way. I've tried doing a search but haven't been able to find anything.

One other thing, I bent a piece of 3/16" square stock and it snapped. Is this a sign of cheap steel, it was purchased at Home Depot. It didn't actually snap more like cracked when the ends were about 1" apart. Thanks for any help for a new bender guys.

it sounds like you're talking about reverse style. Reverse style is considered to be the "easiest" style, although I can't bend that way for crap. When I first started bending, I did my first nails this way and switched to DU. Then I found out how to do DO right, and haven't used anything else since.

it sounds like you're talking about reverse style. Reverse style is considered to be the "easiest" style, although I can't bend that way for crap. When I first started bending, I did my first nails this way and switched to DU. Then I found out how to do DO right, and haven't used anything else since.

I did the same thing, except for the DO part......still can't figure out how to do that right. :rolleyes

look in my gallery the vid grip bash 10 i did a grade 8 the way i think you are talking about i think franky said its good for a cert as long as its above your waist . its a good way to bend but its not that easy .

Dan, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It seemed so natural to do it that way. Thanks man, I was trying to find a clip just like that. Appreciate the info guys. Anyone ever see steel that small crack? I was just wondering if it was especially weak or something. I hope not.

Aluminum with snap on occasion, and if you're exceptional enough to bend a g8 extremely fast you might get it to break.

Reverse style is the only way I can kink 60Ds. With out the initial reversed-grip, I'm worthless. For me too, it just feels natural. I've also found that it's the best way to teach new benders, as very few humans can even bend a timber-tie DO or DU with out the initial reverse-grip kink.

Reverse style is the only way I can kink 60Ds. With out the initial reversed-grip, I'm worthless. For me too, it just feels natural. I've also found that it's the best way to teach new benders, as very few humans can even bend a timber-tie DO or DU with out the initial reverse-grip kink.

That is the same problem I have. The only way I can bend my timber ties is by starting with the reverse grip into DO. I hope to get DO down though so I can hit the initial kink without switching grips.