Saturday 3rd AUGUST 2002

Open, intermediate and novice classes

For details enquiries and entrance fees, please contact:

David Horne,

27 Ingestre Road,

Stafford

ST17 4DJ

Email: irongrip@ntlworld.com                  

On the day of the competition, these rules will be stated before each event and any questions can be answered beforehand by contacting me or you can wait till you arrive. The referees on the day will be the lifters who are competing; three referees will be officiating each lift and just like any weightlifting contest two or three white lights constitutes a good lift.

This year we will be allowing four attempts on a rising bar system. This should ensure no ‘bombing out’ if you come in at the right weight. You will also be able to warm up on the apparatus as the weight increases. Remember, the weight on the bar will not be decreased, so make sure the recorder’s table knows your next lift.

Chalk (magnesium carbonate) is the only substance allowed to aid the grip or keep your hands dry.

Two Hands Pinch Lift

Two one-inch thick discs, with the flat/smooth sides facing out, are held together on a metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weight can be added. The top of this is grasped with a pinch grip and lifted off the floor till your hands are above your knees. You do not have to be erect upon completion, but your legs do have to be locked. The lift finishes on the referee’s signal, and then you must lower the weight under control. With regard to pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip, this will be allowed this year only, because the rules were not stipified when the events were announced, but an area will be marked on the discs to prevent the hands moving further round and aiding the lift. This grip will not, however, be allowed for record purposes, as we will probably use different equipment for this particular new lift in the future and as such it will be an event in its own right.

One Hand Vertical Bar Lift

A 24” long 1” diameter bar, with no knurling, is used for this lift. This bar has a collar welded on the bottom end and stands upright. The bar is to be grasped near the top, and is not to touch the forearm or leg. Your hand must not become locked against your leg. The lift finishes on the referee’s signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

Table Top Wrist Curl

An Olympic Bar is used for this lift. Stand beside the table, with your forearms and hands flat on it (palms upwards), holding a barbell. Once the referee is happy that the lifter is stationary, he will signal ‘curl’, for the lifter to commence the wrist curl. The lifter will curl his hands off the table (using wrist flexion), keeping his forearms on the table at all times. The lifter will hold his hands off the table for two seconds. The knuckles and hands have to come off the table before the referee will start his count. The lifter may use an ordinary grip, hook grip or thumbless grip. If the bar rolls out of the hand, with the fingers no longer touching the bar, the lift is failed. The bar must rise evenly: an uneven extension is also a failure. The rules for the One Hand Wrist Curl are the same, except that the lifter may perform a check for balance.

Captains of Crush Gripper (inverted style)

For this event the Captains of Crush grippers from IronMind are used. The Trainer gripper will be used for the Novice, #1 for the Intermediate classes and the #2 gripper for the Open section. In all classes the positions are judged on a timed hold. The jaws of the gripper will be clamped shut, and the stopwatch starts, and finishes when the handles come apart. I will be the sole referee for this event, and also have the right (and probably will in most cases) to hold the forearm to stop any shaking of the limb so that I can view the ends clearly. You will be allowed one warning for any slight lapse in concentration (i.e. if the handles come slightly apart), but will be required to shut it tightly immediately to continue. Failure to do so results in the end of your attempt.

Seated Hammer Curl

For this event an H bar (triceps bar) will be used. The curl will be performed whilst sitting on a bench with an upright backrest. Throughout the attempt, the buttocks and back will always be touching the backrest, and the buttocks always on the bench. The feet are to be flat on the floor, any movement will result in a failure of the lift. The lift starts with the H bar sitting on the thighs, and upon the referee’s ‘curl’ signal, the bar is curled off the thighs using forearm/bicep strength to the finish position of having the H bar parallel to the floor. The bar must rise evenly: an uneven extension is also a failure. Any flicking of the knees/thighs to gain momentum at the beginning of the lift will also result in a failure.

One Hand 3 ½” Dumbbell Deadlift

For this event a dumbbell with a 3 ½” thick handle will be used. You can use a thumbless or normal grip. The dumbbell is lifted off the floor till it is above your knees. You do not have to be erect upon completion, but your legs do have to be locked. The lift finishes on the referee’s signal, and then you must lower the weight under control. You are allowed to steady yourself by pushing off your other leg with your non-lifting hand.

Good luck to everyone!

Guest baldy

Hey Jim, I spent a while nosing around checking out the lift descriptions on your site before David posted this message. I appreciate you going to all that trouble, because even for those of us that aren't competing it is nice to have guidelines to follow for the lifts. When someone says that they did x lift with y poundage in David's comp we can check the rules and know exactly what was or wasn't allowed.

Also I found that I was doing some of my own training wrong by calling it a "good lift" when the bar / hand was above the knees but the legs weren't locked. I can see where that would make a huge difference on some movements.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to make your page. Once you get your links straightened out and people start linking to you I bet the traffic there will really go up.

Tim

I’m glad you found the site interesting :).  Hopefully it will turn into a useful resource as the site grows and we get more and more information up there.  I should mention that a lot of hard work was also put in by Scott Essery who was responsible for writing the grip articles and all of the descriptions in the lifts section.  Thanks Scott ;).

Guest 115-1005574997

The one thing I’ve found universal in the grip world is the selflessness and generosity of almost everyone ive met.

I just want to give back a little to the sport which has given me so much and hope I can share my enthusiasm with others who appreciate and understand.

Both me and Jim want to create a window into which the world can see what we in the UK are doing, the hard work and dedication of David Horne and the achievements of everyone who trains.  But we don’t want to be insular.  Achievements of everyone, no matter where in the world, will be celebrated on the site and if anything you read or see inspires you to compete or reach new levels of development, then we have succeed in our aims.

Don’t hesitate to tell us what you think (good and bad) and if you have an article or picture to contribute, we will be more than grateful to receive it.

Well done everyone for all your hard work.   :D

I've got my first couple of questions, of many probably, to ask.  My first one is regarding the 3.5" DBDL.  Jim's site states that there's also a 10' walk involved.  True?

Regarding tha hammer curl event: will the finished position see the actual H-bar parallel to the floor or is it meant that the arms be parallel to the floor?  Also, if the upper body will be upright at a 90 degree angle from the floor, at what  angle will the arms be in when the lift begins?  Hope that made sense...

Thanks...

BC.

Brian,

Yes it makes sense.

No, this is just a deadlift. That was the rules from a walking event we had in the past. Jim can you sort that.

Hammer curl. The arms will be in about 100 degree angle to start with. The arms will be vertical to the floor when finished, but the bar will be parallel. The backrest of the bench is slightly off 90 degrees.

David

Dave/Brian

This is now sorted.  The lift rules for this summers comp can be found at the bottom of the events page :)