Towel Pullups

s_aloisio

Today for the first time I tried Weighted pullups, at my house i'm only set up to do towel pullups(off a staircase).

I got into my climbing harnes, I don't own a weightbelt, and cliped on an extra 20KG plate and stood up.... felt pretty heavy on the hipps. But the pullup was easy. So I went and grabed another 20KG plate, this time when i stood up it felt HEAVY on the hipps but I managed 1 pullup with good form. Feeling cocky I went and grabed a 15KG plate thinking hey maybe I'll be able to do a 2XBW+5kg. But I only managed about 50% before I ran outa muscle. I tried going down in weight a bit and trying again but after my failed attempt I had nothing left.

So as it stands I managed BW + 62% (88lbs) For a single on a close grip towel pullup.

Edited by Shawn

Shawn, I've never done a max towel grip pullup, but I have done a couple sets of 10 with an extra 36lbs hanging off me while doing towel grip pullups.

Shawn, I've never done a max towel grip pullup, but I have done a couple sets of 10 with an extra 36lbs hanging off me while doing towel grip pullups.

I think that my1 pull limit would be the same with towel grip or normal, it was my arms that gave out, my hands were strong. I don't think I could do 10 with an extra 36lbs. I'll give it a try later this week.

How much do you weigh? I weigh in around 140-145.

I weigh about 195lbs, so 36lbs is a lower percentage of my weight than it would be for you, 18% vs 25%.

Nice work on the pull ups! Keep it up.

When I was doing weighted pullups regularly, I weighed 145-150, my best was a double with 75, and a single with 80. I think I could do about the same on towels, b/c although towels leave my hands a little tired and sore, that feeling lasts for only a few minutes, afterwards my hands actually feel stronger. I can close my #2 still after doing work on towel pullups.

Rope climbing will leave my hands absolutely whipped, however. I cannot close my #2 after doing serious rope climbing, not yet anyway.

Talking about maximum, I don't have any difference between weighted towel pullups and regular weighted pullups. I can do a single pullup with a weight that is 60 % of my bodyweight. Things get different if I go for reps though.

I like to train my grip doing pullups hanging from thin ropes, in my opinion it is more challenging than towel pullups.

They arent thin ropes, but I just hung a pair of 1-inch climbing ropes from the studs in the ceiling of my workout area. The spacing of the studs put the ropes right at shoulder width, which is perfect for all sorts of pullups.

Any kind of rope climbing or just pullups hanging from the ropes, thick or thin, is really effective training.

Nice job! I bet you could pull the extra 55 KGs when you're rested.

Haven't tried weighted towel pullups, but I did manage a one arm towel chin-up. And on the quest for one arm rope climbing, managed to climb up a rope with 55 extra pounds. Going to go for 60 lbs tomorrow.

Nice job! I bet you could pull the extra 55 KGs when you're rested.

Haven't tried weighted towel pullups, but I did manage a one arm towel chin-up. And on the quest for one arm rope climbing, managed to climb up a rope with 55 extra pounds. Going to go for 60 lbs tomorrow.

One arm towel chin-up is a very good achievement! Just be careful not to injure your shoulder, that can easily happen. Happened to me about two months ago when I was training one arm chin-up partials with my left (weaker) arm. It was a nerve damage actually, wouldn't allow me to even train my grip with left hand. And I should know better..being a physical therapist, who deals with these things daily...Now I'm finally back on serious training. Two months seems like an eternity, when you would have a motivation to train seriously.

Today for the first time I tried Weighted pullups, at my house i'm only set up to do towel pullups(off a staircase).

I got into my climbing harnes, I don't own a weightbelt, and cliped on an extra 20KG plate and stood up.... felt pretty heavy on the hipps. But the pullup was easy. So I went and grabed another 20KG plate, this time when i stood up it felt HEAVY on the hipps but I managed 1 pullup with good form. Feeling cocky I went and grabed a 15KG plate thinking hey maybe I'll be able to do a 2XBW+5kg. But I only managed about 50% before I ran outa muscle. I tried going down in weight a bit and trying again but after my failed attempt I had nothing left.

So as it stands I managed BW + 62% (88lbs) For a single on a close grip towel pullup.

Just reading my post and it looks like I need to go back and review gradeschool math, 20+20+15=55, BW +5 = 70. I must have added the weight of a bar in there........ but even that is wrong as that would be 75........ oh well, time to go back to school.

I have always wondered how much weight I would have to add to a BW two handed pull up before I could do a one arm pull up? I know it is different as there are weird shoulder muscle things you have to flex to do the orn arm.

Anyone been training for both at the same time?

What weight = one arm?

I have always wondered how much weight I would have to add to a BW two handed pull up before I could do a one arm pull up?

Alright let me throw in what I've heard, as well as my own experience.

David Willoughby (author of Super Athletes) apparently compared a 2/3 bodyweight added chin with a one arm chin.

I was talking with Jack Arnow and he tells me that Jasper Benincasa said the two skills aren't comparable. Jack tells me he weighs 140 lbs now, and can two arm chin with 110 lbs added (btw, he's 63!) but doesn't feel like he can do an OAC right now. He said Willoughby's numbers seemed right when he was younger though.

I combined weighted chins and one arm work when I was working towards my OAC. I was pulling a strong double with 100 lbs added at a bodyweight of 160 lbs when I did my first OAC. So Willoughby's numbers seem right for me. I do agree with Jasper's statements that the two are different skills, and credit my success to training both at the same time.

For those wondering who Jack and Jasper are, check out this page on chinning feats. Both are legends in the game. There's also a great picture on that page of old time weightlifting champion John Davis pinching 2 45's as well.

• 1 year later...

Bravo! I do a similar weight, but never could I do it on towels! Thanks for the inspiration

I have always wondered how much weight I would have to add to a BW two handed pull up before I could do a one arm pull up? I know it is different as there are weird shoulder muscle things you have to flex to do the orn arm.

What weight = one arm?

Someone please correct me if Im wrong but you weighted with your weight should equal a one arm

What weight = one arm?

Someone please correct me if Im wrong but you weighted with your weight should equal a one arm

Nevermind thats wrong

my record is a single pullup on a 50mm manila rope with 61kg(87% of bw) additional weight at a bodyweight of 70kg.

i don´t have a spectcular grip but it wasn´t harder to grip the rope than pulling up.