Fourth Post

staigl

My name is Steve. I'm 46, 5' 11", 170 lbs. During the last 10 years, I had developed a bit of gut from junk food and beer. Following a wake-up call back in December, I decided a healthier lifestyle was the direction I would go the second half of my life. So I dusted off the weights, eat better, get 8 hours of sleep, quit smoking, ride my bicycle to work. Twenty-five pounds and the belly are gone; now I want to pack on some muscle.

Grip strength is not something I was even aware of until a few weeks ago. I believe I happened upon it by Googling forearm development. I quickly discovered that Gripboard was the place for answers to questions I never thought to ask. My grip strength needs work. Currently, I am working with David Horne's suggested, "First Workout for Beginners."

Again, my desire is to first put some beef on this stick figure frame. As such, I think my goals right now are more in the area of bodybuilding. However, I see the value of strength-building for its own sake, as well as, the advantages of increasing grip strength. I've read enough to recognize that there is not only a wealth of information available here, but also genuinely helpful members on every thread I've read. Thanks.

Steve

On your very first post to this forum, PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum. You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

My name is Steve. I'm 46, 5' 11", 170 lbs. During the last 10 years, I had developed a bit of gut from junk food and beer. Following a wake-up call back in December, I decided a healthier lifestyle was the direction I would go the second half of my life. So I dusted off the weights, eat better, get 8 hours of sleep, quit smoking, ride my bicycle to work. Twenty-five pounds and the belly are gone; now I want to pack on some muscle.

Grip strength is not something I was even aware of until a few weeks ago. I believe I happened upon it by Googling forearm development. I quickly discovered that Gripboard was the place for answers to questions I never thought to ask. My grip strength needs work. Currently, I am working with David Horne's suggested, "First Workout for Beginners."

Again, my desire is to first put some beef on this stick figure frame. As such, I think my goals right now are more in the area of bodybuilding. However, I see the value of strength-building for its own sake, as well as, the advantages of increasing grip strength. I've read enough to recognize that there is not only a wealth of information available here, but also genuinely helpful members on every thread I've read. Thanks.

Steve

On your very first post to this forum, PLEASE introduce yourself and tell us about what your doing in terms of grip training, what your interests are in terms of grip strength, and what you want to get out of this forum. You can also include other information that might be revelant, such as height, weight, age, etc.

Welcome to the board! :laugh

Even though you may pursue bodybuilding/strength training more than grip, making your hands and forearms stronger is an important key to all of your other lifts being heavier. Almost all other gym lifts require the use of your hands, not to mention the cross-over benefits for day to day living.

Even though you may pursue bodybuilding/strength training more than grip, making your hands and forearms stronger is an important key to all of your other lifts being heavier. Almost all other gym lifts require the use of your hands, not to mention the cross-over benefits for day to day living.

Well said, Mat. Thanks.

Glad to have you on board!!

Thanks, j.c.

Alright, its a beautiful day and I have plenty of grip work waiting for me in the garden and yard. Laptop closed.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the GripBoard! I say get some of the grippers first just to get a taste of what you'll be dealing with. The Trainer, the #1 and the #2. You can go over to IronMind and they'll set ya up!! :D

http://www.ironmind.com

Steve,

Welcome to the GripBoard! I say get some of the grippers first just to get a taste of what you'll be dealing with. The Trainer, the #1 and the #2. You can go over to IronMind and they'll set ya up!! :D

http://www.ironmind.com

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit I have already purchased a few grippers from IronMind. Not knowing what to expect in terms of difficulty. I first ordered the Guide. What a relief to discover that it was easy to close. Inverting it between the thumb and index finger, I feel I am getting a decent thumb workout, however. Plus, for a while, I imagine it will serve as a nice warm-up gripper. I expect both the Sport and Trainer to arrive any day. I suspect then I will have a better idea about a timeframe for purchasing #1 and #2.

When I first started reading posts here on GB, I fully intended to strictly follow the Beginner foundation workout laid out by Mr. Horne in the FAQ; and I have. However, the more I have worked out and read, the more curious about the grippers I became. As most everyone has stated, they are addicting.

Thanks for the friendly welcome and suggestion.

Steve

Instead of bodybuilding you could also give powerlifting a try. The big compound lifts will put some muscle on your frame.

The lighter grippers always have a use.... especialy after you get some bigger ones and destroy your hands, the next day you can always use the guide to keep the blood flowing.

Welcome to the board.

Instead of bodybuilding you could also give powerlifting a try. The big compound lifts will put some muscle on your frame.

The lighter grippers always have a use.... especialy after you get some bigger ones and destroy your hands, the next day you can always use the guide to keep the blood flowing.

Welcome to the board.

Shawn,

Powerlifting, huh? I have zero knowledge on the subject. I'll have to do some research. Thanks for the welcome and input.

Steve

welcome steve, i think its a good thing that you started grip work, because you can only lift as much as your grip can hold ;)

welcome steve, i think its a good thing that you started grip work, because you can only lift as much as your grip can hold ;)

True, DCTama. My Sport and Trainer CoCs just arrived. Closed 'em both (except the Trainer in my left hand - about 1/8" shy). Ordered #1 and "Dinosaur Training." Going to give this powerlifting a chance.

I also suggest that you get more into actual strength training with basic compound movements instead of pumping away bodybuilding style. With power comes true confidence and with confidence there's no stopping you. Think muscle as a byproduct, because it will also come with strength training.

Learn how to do powerlifts properly, and your well on your way. Later on learn how to do cleans etc..

Good luck!

Teemu I,

I am definitely going to give powerlifting a go. As I mentioned earlier, I have little or no knowledge of the training involved, so this will be a learning process. I understand that to make real gains I will need to lift real weight. But I also understand the importance of training smart. The strength benefits of powerlifting are hard to ignore. I'm on board.

Thanks for your input,

Steve

Teemu I,

I am definitely going to give powerlifting a go. As I mentioned earlier, I have little or no knowledge of the training involved, so this will be a learning process. I understand that to make real gains I will need to lift real weight. But I also understand the importance of training smart. The strength benefits of powerlifting are hard to ignore. I'm on board.

Thanks for your input,

Steve

It's allways a learning process, but who would do any of this if it was all clear and easy from the start? Why bother? It's the challenge and will to test our limits that drives us forward. Good thing about training is that there's allways room for improvement and you are constantly learning new things, about yourself at least. It's a good journey.

Teemu