Chalkless Gripping

viper

Im just wondering, i have not got my hands on any chalk yet (literally) - can you still close big grippers without chalk? or does our skin simply not offer enough grip?

viper

Chalk provides for consistency in friction between the hand and the impliment. It is not a must have, but sure does make training more predictable from workout to workout.

John Wood doesn't use chalk and he closes some monster grippers, so it isn't needed.

yes you can, but some people have very clamy/sweaty hands

John Wood doesn't use chalk and he closes some monster grippers, so it isn't needed.

What Heath said.

I can close my #3 with chalk and without....but chalk does keep it from slipping in my palm under heavy pressure.

Im just wondering, i have not got my hands on any chalk yet (literally) - can you still close big grippers without chalk? or does our skin simply not offer enough grip?

viper

I can close my #3 any time with chalk, but I've found it becomes a lot more inconsistent without.

I find it's more of an issue with other implements....ie. V-bar, Blobs, thickbar training, etc..than with the grippers. If my hands are dry then I pretty much can do the same with or without chalk. I use it a lot because usually when I train grippers I am also squatting during the same session and it's hard to stay dry and squat hard, especially in a garage gym in the summer time.

yes you can, but some people have very clamy/sweaty hands

That's me! But i don't use chalk often(once a month maybe?)

I mostly try to use a little chalk to dry my pamls, but other than that none. I find very little grip increase when I have a lot of chalk on.

I'd encourage those of you who have not tried chalk to do so. I personally prefer to use it when training grippers or pinch work. I like the consistency and find that my skin does not get damaged as easily when dried out by the chalk.

Also, if you are going to do a contest, it's good to have enough experience with it to know if/how it can help your gripping.

If my hands are dry and clean, I'll do just as well without chalk in most exercises. Chalk helps me most with pinch lifting. With grippers, I don't see much difference, allthough I occasionally use it just a little on my palms.

I come from a rockclimbing background so I almost always chalk up to my elbows for just about anything. :tongue

j/k I do use alot when climbing.

I have yet to use any for grip training, but I do this inside and don't want to get chalk everywhere.

I soon will have a garage, then we'll see.

I use it mainly for max attempts and pinching.

I never use chalk for gripping for two reasons.

1) I normally dont have time to worry about chalking up and washing it off after. If I want to do some training I have to take my grippers with me and just train when some time pops up. Sometimes I have to warm up by running my hands under hot water first.

2) After 5 years of Rock climbing, I've seen, and had enough chalk under my nails to last me till I'm 60.

I normally train without chalk since it makes it harder if the gripper is fighting to stay in the groove. For max attempts I use a little chalk. If I train grippers right after a workout I use some chalk since I'm usually sweaty.

On other thing to consider is the knurling on your grippers. My HG grippers are very slippery, but the IM's and BB's have very deep knurling. They stay in place better when you set them.

I also agree that a chalked dry hand/finger is less likely to split as that's been my experience.

I have a question thats chalk related but i dont think i should make a whole new thread for it.

How do you chalk up your hands, do you crush up the block and put it in a container so you just stick your hands into powder or do you just rub the block on your hands? i tryed rubbing the block on my hands when i first got it but it just seemed to just crumble so i crushed up a block but now it doesnt stay on my hands at all.

Don't crush up the blocks if you can help it, they last much longer if you leave them in piece. Keep the chalk in a container or tupperware so you can catch the chalk dust. You can also rub the block directly on the implement (gripper, pinch block, etc)