Americans And The Vertical Bar

Hubgeezer

Yesterday, I competed in my 6th competition, and the first where the Vertical Bar was contested. Here is my report as to matters concerning the Vertical Bar.

The fellow who produced the contest, Kevin Meskew, is on this Board as iron warrior (small case, different than large case Iron Warrior). Kevin is 50 years old, and as a young man was a competitive power lifter. He has probably produced more contests of a different variety than anyone on this Board. That statement is factual, not hyperbole. Yesterday's production was a "Grip Decathlon" at a small gym that he owns in Northern Los Angeles County. He has a real job, and is an absentee owner of his gym venture, which is less than 2 years old. Whenever there is a Strongman contest on television filmed at Muscle Beach, you can see Kevin in the background, volunteering his time and expertise. His gym wall is decorated with photos and posters of autographed strength celebrities who he has met over the years.

Yesterday's contest was the first time he included the Vertical Bar as an event at one of his contests. He had the rules and description of the event from the GGC 2006 contest, and a Fat Bastard Barbell Company Vertical Bar was used. It was weighed on his scale at over 6 pounds, so 6 pounds was the weight used to be added to the plate total on the lifts. My understanding was that someone from the contest (not Kevin) was going to have those lifters attaining different levels of achievement posted on the Fat Bastard website as a result of the contest (Joe Smith ends up on the "250 and over" category, Jimmy Jones on the "300 and over" category, etc., etc.).

His plates, he feels, have been weighed and are not short, and he has confidence in his ability to follow rules that are clearly defined. He has personally judged all the contests I have seen him do, except one time he had Odd Haugen do the judging.

His interest in keeping statistics tends to revolve around people's personal bests, his meet records, and his gym records.

Yesterday, his contest (you can read about it under the "Contests" section) had 8 contestants, of which only one of the entries was a top tier grip athlete (no offense to the rest of us intended). That contestant was Kevin Bussi. For some of the competitors, it may have been the first time they ever touched a Vertical

Bar.

The lifts of the competition ranged from 221 (someone with an injured elbow) to 306 pounds. Three competitors topped 300, as besides the winning lift of 306, two fellows did 301. The Vbar was third of the ten events, and after all competitors pulled all four of their attempts (only one arm was contested), he asked if anyone wanted to better their marks for purpose of the Fat Bastard certification or for his gym records. The two 301 pound lifters said yes, and Adam Demnowicz, an unheralded 20-year-old in his second contest, and not one who is particulary impressive looking, successfully pulled 316, and looked to have 326 two inches up, but the strict Mr. Meskew did not give it to him. Kevin Bussi rather casually pulled 336 pounds.

The purpose of this diatribe is to state that it really is only a matter of time before Americans are known for having the top Vertical Bar lifters in the world. If a medium strength kid with no Vbar experience can pull 316, and a 52-year-old accountant with low strength and a bad back can decisively lift 306 during a competition, can you imagine what the record will be once really strong Americans decide to take it seriously? The sky is the limit.

Hubgeezer

Ryan Klein and Dave Thorton may both break the World Record at this years Michigan Grip Invitational. Ryan has hit 383 or so in training. I can't imagine Dave is far off that.

Do a search.

Save me from the 'my country is better than your country horseshit. It don't matter what soil I stand on when I lift not where I come from. It only matters what effort I put in. You'd have served the 'cause' better if you said more Americans will do better and more will better. I doubt very much that the top ten names will change at all - unless they retire and it already includes Americans. Is it so much of a problem that a country that has 300 million living it in doesn't dominate all sports? I don't think so. Look at Olympic lifting for an example - I think Britian - 60-70+ million got more medals last time out.

The only way any group will beat another group - and I lift for me first - is if they try harder. Use the same GGC for examples. As big a group pulled over 300 2 years ago and last year as did at the event you mention. The same applies in Europe. It's the same guys that are pulling more than any other.

Finally, look at the CoC event David Horne held - guys from all over the world took part and the top four were all British. It just means we trained harder - not that we are intrinsically better for being born here. I don't wave a Union flag every time I lift nor do I care to. When I lift it is for me - not for my country.

Yesterday, I competed in my 6th competition, and the first where the Vertical Bar was contested. Here is my report as to matters concerning the Vertical Bar.

The fellow who produced the contest, Kevin Meskew, is on this Board as iron warrior (small case, different than large case Iron Warrior). Kevin is 50 years old, and as a young man was a competitive power lifter. He has probably produced more contests of a different variety than anyone on this Board. That statement is factual, not hyperbole. Yesterday's production was a "Grip Decathlon" at a small gym that he owns in Northern Los Angeles County. He has a real job, and is an absentee owner of his gym venture, which is less than 2 years old. Whenever there is a Strongman contest on television filmed at Muscle Beach, you can see Kevin in the background, volunteering his time and expertise. His gym wall is decorated with photos and posters of autographed strength celebrities who he has met over the years.

Yesterday's contest was the first time he included the Vertical Bar as an event at one of his contests. He had the rules and description of the event from the GGC 2006 contest, and a Fat Bastard Barbell Company Vertical Bar was used. It was weighed on his scale at over 6 pounds, so 6 pounds was the weight used to be added to the plate total on the lifts. My understanding was that someone from the contest (not Kevin) was going to have those lifters attaining different levels of achievement posted on the Fat Bastard website as a result of the contest (Joe Smith ends up on the "250 and over" category, Jimmy Jones on the "300 and over" category, etc., etc.).

His plates, he feels, have been weighed and are not short, and he has confidence in his ability to follow rules that are clearly defined. He has personally judged all the contests I have seen him do, except one time he had Odd Haugen do the judging.

His interest in keeping statistics tends to revolve around people's personal bests, his meet records, and his gym records.

Yesterday, his contest (you can read about it under the "Contests" section) had 8 contestants, of which only one of the entries was a top tier grip athlete (no offense to the rest of us intended). That contestant was Kevin Bussi. For some of the competitors, it may have been the first time they ever touched a Vertical

Bar.

The lifts of the competition ranged from 221 (someone with an injured elbow) to 306 pounds. Three competitors topped 300, as besides the winning lift of 306, two fellows did 301. The Vbar was third of the ten events, and after all competitors pulled all four of their attempts (only one arm was contested), he asked if anyone wanted to better their marks for purpose of the Fat Bastard certification or for his gym records. The two 301 pound lifters said yes, and Adam Demnowicz, an unheralded 20-year-old in his second contest, and not one who is particulary impressive looking, successfully pulled 316, and looked to have 326 two inches up, but the strict Mr. Meskew did not give it to him. Kevin Bussi rather casually pulled 336 pounds.

The purpose of this diatribe is to state that it really is only a matter of time before Americans are known for having the top Vertical Bar lifters in the world. If a medium strength kid with no Vbar experience can pull 316, and a 52-year-old accountant with low strength and a bad back can decisively lift 306 during a competition, can you imagine what the record will be once really strong Americans decide to take it seriously? The sky is the limit.

Hubgeezer

Are you saying that they used a non-official bar and had extra goes and of which some are experienced lifters and that this is to be used as a measure of their American Greatness? If so why don't more of the many thousand of GB members of which many must be lifters and most must come from the US do better? Is it where they were born that helped them do so well? Pah. They did well cos they had extra goes, on an easy bar and becuase a few have lifting experience. Some may have even, and I'm told this is a useful tool (used by the better US V-bar guys), of having trained for the event - imagine that.

As for bad backs - look at my log.

Now stop wasting training energy flag waving, get training and show me my arse with your lifting.

I'm gonna say this real quick. I think Hub meant no harm and meant maybe the American Records are coming up but I guess that post didn't come out right :( Since I'm a fan of Steve G. just awesome all around power, ummm....I dont' care where anyone lives or stays if your a awesome lifter I give you props no matter what. I just hope to compete against you great guys one day and shake your hands :bow I like the sport of grip as it's only gonna get better ;) stay strong

For what it's worth I think that in a couple of years time 300lbs (in competition) on a Vbar will be an average "par for the course" lift. The type of Vbar is irrelevant.

It'll be the lifts over 350lbs that'll be held in high regard. You heard it here first :inno

Dave

Ryan Klein and Dave Thorton may both break the World Record at this years Michigan Grip Invitational. Ryan has hit 383 or so in training. I can't imagine Dave is far off that.

Ryan should come to the GGC to compete with those numbers. He would have a chance there to break the WR too. Dave will be there competing :rock Bob...you should come too :rock I hope to see you all there.

Chad

Mob,

I dont think Hubgeezer meant any harm at all with his post. What is wrong with posting that the american numbers are going to go up, isnt this only logical with this lift being fairly new to alot of people?

Looking forward to seeing someone pull 400 in the near future. . .

Austin

Well we have heard this all before. It is in part based on an assumption that lifters outside of the US will somehow all stop developing their strength to a higher level while the US lifters gain strength.

Grip strength is often not very well related to overall body strength so it is not strange that a 52-year-old accountant can do well in a grip lift. Nathan Holle is perhaps the strongest in the world with grippers and he is not exactly a massive guy.

I do agree however that there is room for much improvement by the US guys in the vbar lists, especially in the total category. Just don't expect the rest of us to quietly admit defeat. :cool I am competing next time in February 2007 and I certainly plan to lift more than my 319k WR total.

A bit of friendly trash talk won't harm anyone though. :calm

Hubgeezer

Do a search.

Save me from the 'my country is better than your country horseshit. It don't matter what soil I stand on when I lift not where I come from. It only matters what effort I put in. You'd have served the 'cause' better if you said more Americans will do better and more will better. I doubt very much that the top ten names will change at all - unless they retire and it already includes Americans. Is it so much of a problem that a country that has 300 million living it in doesn't dominate all sports? I don't think so. Look at Olympic lifting for an example - I think Britian - 60-70+ million got more medals last time out.

The only way any group will beat another group - and I lift for me first - is if they try harder. Use the same GGC for examples. As big a group pulled over 300 2 years ago and last year as did at the event you mention. The same applies in Europe. It's the same guys that are pulling more than any other.

Finally, look at the CoC event David Horne held - guys from all over the world took part and the top four were all British. It just means we trained harder - not that we are intrinsically better for being born here. I don't wave a Union flag every time I lift nor do I care to. When I lift it is for me - not for my country.

You seem to be the only one who think's mike was on some sort of eugenic campaign proclaiming american superiority. A bit sensitive aren't you...

Yeah, this original post didn't seem rude or excessively out of line to me.

There are just alot of guys who are up and coming in the grip stuff right now in the US.

There are just alot of guys who are up and coming in the grip stuff right now in the US.

No but there is quite a bit of flag waving as pointed out by Mobster.

Do a search.

You seem to be the only one who think's mike was on some sort of eugenic campaign proclaiming american superiority. A bit sensitive aren't you...

Starting with the name of a country mentioned in a topic title...

No arguments on that score.

I hope this can be dropped and we can all just be gentlemen. We are all doing great things in the GripWorld so let's just say that it is going to be interesting to see how people from all over will do in the world of grip in the years to come. I mean the fact that I have to say calm down to anyone freaks me right the hell out, but really can we all just hug and be done with this nonsense, I mean I should be bending instead of typing about people playing fair on the net for goodness sakes :inno

-Sean

One thing's for sure, someone will pull 400lb, and I'm pretty sure in years to come someone will pull 200k (440lb). Be he american, european or what, all I will say is well done!

S'right. I don't care where they live - I just wanna see the weight done.

Grip strength is often not very well related to overall body strength so it is not strange that a 52-year-old accountant can do well in a grip lift.
This is just about the best thing I have ever read from you. However, I thought the vbar was all about brute strength?
No but there is quite a bit of flag waving as pointed out by Mobster.

Pot calling the kettle black here Mikael?

Be he american, european or what, all I will say is well done!

Exactly.

One thing's for sure, someone will pull 400lb, and I'm pretty sure in years to come someone will pull 200k (440lb). Be he american, european or what, all I will say is well done!

Absolutely. Seeing as you were the person that introduced the implement to the world, you would know that better than anyone. I have said many times, this is a cult sport. America has a much higher population than most countries that have an interest in the Vbar. It is about sheer numbers, nothing more, nothing less. When I say "sheer numbers", I mean the probability of it being an American is higher because there will be a larger pool of American gripsters shooting for it.

I intentionally said nothing since the temperature went up on this subject. I was not going to apologize in any way shape or form, and was willing to lose my Board privileges over it. Why? Because I thought it would be ridiculous to aplogize. I intentionally put the word "America" in the name of the post, not as some weird patriotism, not to jerk on anyone's chain, but because I knew it would generate discussion, and it did. Someone said 300 will be no big deal in the near future, and David said 400 is on the horizon soon. Mikael was a voice of reason on the subject. As far as I am concerned, that is as good as it gets.

The ironic thing about this is that today is the day millions of immigrants are taking to the streets of America for this "Day Without An Immigrant" protest. My city, Salinas, California, has a majority Latino city council, and has one of the most activist-centered pro-illegal immigrant philosopies in the country. In this town, waving an American flag will get your car vandalized. I have to honestly say that as a result of what is going down today, and the quick-to-the trigger accusations of flag waving on this Board, it is a little depressing. So no apologies here.

In the meantime, the Vbar records will go up, the competition numbers will go up, and Mikael may or may not get a free gripper in the near future. :rock

Mike Corlett

Salinas, Ca

This thread is quickly becoming IFFY. IF - it continues with a political slant, well... you know what will most likely happen...... :whistel Thanks

Bar.

Hubgeezer

Congrats to Hub and the others for what sounds like some great lifting! :rock 306 is very good in my book. Was the vbar seasoned?

Great job on the 336 by Handgripperman! :rock Looks like I've got my work cut out for me yet again to pull my name up that FBBC list... :whistel

I agree with the whole "let's all hug" sentiment. :D I'm not here to compare lifts with a nationality. I'm here to compare lifts with other grip guys and encourage each other to bigger lifts. The vbar knows no nationality or skin color. Only if you've left any skin on it in the completion of a lift. :cool

So we should continue to HELP each other instead of bicker about petty stuff. Back to gripping.

It would be fantastic to see what athletes from the eastern european countries and Russia could do.

Was the vbar seasoned?

Very much so. Everyone there now knows what "seasoning" is, that is for sure. It seemed that the FBBC bar was a big hit, and I suspect John will sell a couple this week.

I think everyone, because it was new to all, was happy with their V-Bar performances.

Hubgeezer

It would be fantastic to see what athletes from the eastern european countries and Russia could do.

Agreed. IMO, these guys are some of the best competitors the world has to offer.