Starting A Strongman Club

smp76

Well after long deliberation and time on a sandy beach last week I decided it would be a good idea to start a Strongman Club at the High School where I teach. We already have a list of lifts in our weightroom that rate your name to be painted on the wall like 500lb squat, 300 bench ect... and since I already have a "Wall of Strength" in my classroom for students who can close grippers, lever sledges 8lbs, 10lbs, tear phone books, short stock steel bending, ect... I thought what the hell, why not a Strongman Club to help expose this sport to more young guns. So long story short, if you had it your way, what would you what to see in a strongman club for a high school. This is what I have already to work with:

IM Grippers #1, #2, #3, Cut #3

MashMoster Replica #1, #2

Heavy Gripper 100, and 150 as soon as Clay sends them :whistel

One homemade v-bar

2.5" wooden euro pinch simulator

2" FBBC Crusher

8,10lb sledges

Plenty of bending stock and leather and IM pads

2 and 3/8" thick Bar

What else would you guys have with the idea of a possible yearly grip challenge as a culminating event? Just throw it all out there so we can trim down the fat later but if you had your wish list what would it look like for a high school strongman club?

Thank you guys in advance for all your ideas and thoughtful comments,

Sean Prince

High School Teacher

Anchorage, Alaska

I'd say the stuff that would have the most appeal would be stuff that is visually appealing, or empirically so. Thickbar lifts, bending, and pinch lifting would be a good place to start.

Well after long deliberation and time on a sandy beach last week I decided it would be a good idea to start a Strongman Club at the High School where I teach. We already have a list of lifts in our weightroom that rate your name to be painted on the wall like 500lb squat, 300 bench ect... and since I already have a "Wall of Strength" in my classroom for students who can close grippers, lever sledges 8lbs, 10lbs, tear phone books, short stock steel bending, ect... I thought what the hell, why not a Strongman Club to help expose this sport to more young guns. So long story short, if you had it your way, what would you what to see in a strongman club for a high school. This is what I have already to work with:

IM Grippers #1, #2, #3, Cut #3

MashMoster Replica #1, #2

Heavy Gripper 100, and 150 as soon as Clay sends them :whistel

One homemade v-bar

2.5" wooden euro pinch simulator

2" FBBC Crusher

8,10lb sledges

Plenty of bending stock and leather and IM pads

2 and 3/8" thick Bar

What else would you guys have with the idea of a possible yearly grip challenge as a culminating event? Just throw it all out there so we can trim down the fat later but if you had your wish list what would it look like for a high school strongman club?

Thank you guys in advance for all your ideas and thoughtful comments,

Sean Prince

High School Teacher

Anchorage, Alaska

Farmers walks, odd shaped stone lifting, odd shape stone lifts and carries for length/time, sled drags, jerks for reps, keg lifting, sandbag lifting Just my humble opinion

If your school had some large stones in a courtyard. Have them pick them up. Mimic that goats pen stone except in smaller proportions achievable by hs students.

Sean

Great idea and i wish you success in this project.

Kegs are cheap and easy 2 get.

Stones look around 4 natural ones and then ask the students 2 help you made some of the Atlas stones.

Tires again easy to come by but getting them from A 2 B might be tough

Thick bars just get some 2"or thicker sleeve.

Make a Sledge for pulling then add a harness

use a car for pushing and pulling

Ropes for climbing and pulling

Various blobs

Plenty of Bars and weights

sounds like the vacation was a good one with plenty of time to relax and think :rock

Hey I have some stones in my yard I'd be willing to donate, 4 levels of difficulty, all different shapes. You have a thickbar, I'd definatley add the farmers walk too. You could make a short bar to hold 4 or 5 45's together and have them carry them for distance. I know of a place nearby where they have alot of good stones to chose from, a guy said I could grab some whenever I wanted a couple years ago, I'm sure they'd be happy to let us come through and grab some.

Edited by deaner

All sounds great guys, thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming, I will let you know when this thing gets off the ground.

-Sean

Also guys it just occuried to me that I should try to establish a small book for a sort of required reading list. I can put a bunch of articles together and have them bound into an intro to handstrength and strongman sports for the new members, any suggestions for the articles or books to use?

-Sean

I would allways list Brookfields books first as required reading. As for strength training for strongman, Steve Justas Rock Iron Steel.

Great idea by the way, good luck with it!

why cant they have stuff like that a :angry: t my school?!?! damn!

smp, What high school do you teach at? I used to go to Kenai back in the day & we generally hated Service. Their programs are still pretty excellent but I know some of the other Anchorage schools have really caught up these days. I'm interested to know which high school you're at that gets such excellent weight programs to back up the football & wrestling etc.

smp, What high school do you teach at? I used to go to Kenai back in the day & we generally hated Service. Their programs are still pretty excellent but I know some of the other Anchorage schools have really caught up these days. I'm interested to know which high school you're at that gets such excellent weight programs to back up the football & wrestling etc.

Jim,

I went to Palmer growing up and teach at Bartlett high school now. I understand the Kenai Kardinal Krush hatred of Service as we did not like many Anchorage schools when I was growing up. Glad to see a fellow Alaskan on the board, few of us. Bartlett has come a long way since I was in school more than a decade ago. Take care man.

-Sean

Sean

That is awesome man! Your students and athletes don't know how forunate they are to have you. I wish I had a teacher with inspiration in the classroom and in the weightroom is well. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it turns out. Should be a good time

Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Palmer, eh? I sort of forgot, they have become pretty big players in the state. Didn't you guys win state football just a few years ago? And wrestling was pretty dominant for awhile, too -- you guys shot right past the Peninsula schools & bested the Anchorage schools for quite a few years there. More importantly, you seemed to always beat Wasilla, which I liked, since for whatever reason I like Palmer better than Wasilla :tongue

Carusom is right, your students are very lucky. Such inspiration about grip feats is infectious & I won't be surprised if some real animals spring out of Bartlett the next few years! Congratulations & continued good luck!

Jim

Jim,

I went to Palmer growing up and teach at Bartlett high school now. I understand the Kenai Kardinal Krush hatred of Service as we did not like many Anchorage schools when I was growing up. Glad to see a fellow Alaskan on the board, few of us. Bartlett has come a long way since I was in school more than a decade ago. Take care man.

-Sean

Thanks for the input guys. So far, that is as of today I have three students who have bent Grade 8s, a few more who have hit Grade 5s, bunch of sledge levering fanatics 8lbs and 10lbs, I few staring at the new twelve. I have three #2 closers and a handful of solid #1 closers. They like the Hex blocks A few that can lift my 40lb Hex and hover the 45lb Hex they also like FBBC 2" crusher, but I have a feeling that when I introduce them to V-Bar and some stones heavy farms they will take off. I will have to let you all know how it goes when it takes off.

Thanks again,

Sean

P.S. TelegraphKey, where you at right now? You in AK if you are in the Anchorage area you should come over for a get together at Deaner's or my house.

Sean, I live in Fairbanks. I don't make it down to Anchorage too often but if when I do I'll give you a holler!

sweeeeet man, make sure you do.