Homemade Devices

ArchRaid

Hey all,

I was wondering what types of homemade devices are being used by the members of this site? So far I have made:

4x4 Pinch block attached to a rope to add weight

Wrist roller out of 1.5" PVC pipe

Bought a Sledge Hammer...

That's all I have done so far. I was thinking of getting a 2.5" small peice of PVC and looping some rope or chain through it for a "Rolling Thunder" or Inch dumbbell one handed deadlift type device.

What do ya'll use?

I made a curl bar for forearm curls out of PVC. Like a barbell EZ curl bar for upper arms, it takes a lot of the stress off the wrists when doing forearm curls. Some differences from a regular EZ curl bar are the handles are thicker than the standard 1" barbell grip and rather than side mounted weights the weight is loaded onto a weight pin that protrudes from the center. It works great for me for both palms over and palms under grip. It requires gripping the device to use so both grip and forearms get a workout.

I am not aware of any commercial equivalent.

I have made a few things over the last years:

- Power Rack

- Grip Machines

- SW replica

- Thick bar

- Armwrestling table with a removable plate loaded "Opponent device"

- Device for wrist rotation attached to weights

- Small stuff like loading pins, chokers, thick bar handles for dumbbells, block weights...

//Jim

Here's what I have that I can call homemade:

- Gymnastic rings out of chain, handles are PVC-pipe

- Thick handles from various PVC-pipes, I use chains to attach weights, so the handles revolve.

- Wrist rollers, couple of different thicknesses

- Wooden block handles for pinching

- Some sandbags

Next thing that I'll do is to drill a hole through hockey puck, so I can put rope through it and attach some weights to it. Or I'll just put a hook into the puck. I think it would be good for pinching.

I am very impressed with the stuff made. I can weld, but if I had a drill press, I could really go crazy. I have made a thick barbell from plumbing pipe, a 2-hand pinch from a 2x4 with an eyebolt, a softball and baseball pinch tool (just an eyehook thru), and a dip station/squat pins deal made from plumbing pipe and some 2x6 boards for the base. I'm working on a set of farmer's bars either in the style that JV Askem made (requires a drill press I think as I would have to get thru plumbing pipe with a hand drill) or by welding the handles on (would have to use my angle grinder to fishmouth pipe by eye, just have a mental block about it. This isn't really homemade, but a rotating 1-arm deadlift handle can be done by buying that handle that you use for like cable flyes, and just wrapping duct tape or putting pvc around the handle to thicken it up. I got one for $8 off ebay, the handle already rotates, you just have to find a way to thicken the handle. I had 200 lbs on mine pre-thickening with no problems.

If you can, make your own grip stuff!! :D I sure wish I could weld, then I could make a lot more stuff!

I hear ya on the welding skill. I was thinking of going to Lowes or home depot and getting a few feet of 3/16" stuff to cut to various lengths to begin my bending career. Which is cheaper...buying stuff from Ironmind or going to lowes and cutting your own stuff. I would assume Lowes would be cheaper.

Some of ya'll definitely have some talent at making grip equipment. My hat is off to ya.

If you can, make your own grip stuff!! :D I sure wish I could weld, then I could make a lot more stuff!

I didn't know how to weld until I started making my own equipment. Ask someone who knows to show you how to do it. It only takes a few tries to get enough skill to be able to make your own stuff. Sure - it shows that it's not welded by a proffessional but if it works as planned that's fine with me. And you get better at it along the way. Most of all it is GREAT to know that you can put together almost any idea of new training devices that you might think of.

Knowing you are a such a grip machine freak I really recommend you to give it a try! There's so much that can be done and it's great fun.

//Jim