Inverted Gripping

Zizou

Hi, i just wanted to know if doing inverted grippers its any beneficial or should i keep doing grippers in the normal form? Actually i use the gripper in both forms should i keep doing this or just stick to the "normal" way. Thanks...

i never found that doing inverted closes was very beneficial. for me it's much more effective to just do normal closes. one day i decided to do inverted closes with just my pinky and ring finger which was a very bad idea to strengthen the two weaker fingers. i think i injured a nerve in my hand doing that and it hurt when bench pressing and doing just about anything else. i had to take time off from the grippers to let it heal up. so a word of advice, don't do anything with just your pinky and ring fingers!

I think it's good to hit your hands from all angles. If you don't occasionally do inverted gripper work, that's like having a power rack and not going heavy (might not be a best possible example, but I'll think you'll get the picture). I like to look at the big picture here. It's also good training to use your grippers so that you don't position your hand optimally every time. Better results in the long run.

Another good way to get more out of your grippers: John Brookfield recommends that you use a lighter gripper, toss it in the air and squeeze it right away from catching it. Any gripper will be much harder to close that way. That way you'll develop your hand to be more versatile, which is good.

big bri: As for training your ring finger and pinky, I think you made a mistake of starting too heavy. I've never had any problems training my fingers individually or as pairs, but I started it very light and carefully. So advice should be more like be careful, take it easy and build up slowly.

Inverted really helps building overall hand strength. I have been training for it fir about one week. before that i could explode a coce can about 10 squeezes. but yesturday i did it to my friends and i went into 4 squeezs. look how inverted helped my overal hands strength?

Inverted with the ring and pinky is great for working the last bit of the close. Personaly, I didn't get much out of regular inverted closes, but I know others do, so do what works for you.

i seen a vid of a british (i think) grip championship about a month back where some guy held an inverted trainer shut for 60 seconds - thats the first time id ever thought about it - i tried doing the same feat an did but i quickly noticed it was a harder than the right way up

an thats basically what i see inverted good for, when you dont have a gripper hard enough, so you do fewer reps inverted - can be usefull but getting a harder gripper is probably a better option

When you do inverted closes it works the pointer/middle fingers more than a regular close, great for CCS&TNS carryover and helps your pointer lock tighter at the last part of a normal close, it also helps your thumb because at that last part of a inverted close you half to shift your thumb/thumbpad forward more than a regular close wich is also great carryover for normal closes. I use inverteds reguarly in my training<- if you want to call it that. Beware as big bri said tho because if you havent done them alot they could definantly hurt you if you jump in to fast just because of how they are.

When you do inverted closes it works the pointer/middle fingers more than a regular close, great for CCS&TNS carryover and helps your pointer lock tighter at the last part of a normal close, it also helps your thumb because at that last part of a inverted close you half to shift your thumb/thumbpad forward more than a regular close wich is also great carryover for normal closes. I use inverteds reguarly in my training<- if you want to call it that. Beware as big bri said tho because if you havent done them alot they could definantly hurt you if you jump in to fast just because of how they are.

may not have been aimed at me but thanx for the info

I think using the ISG (held like an inverted gripper) is perfect for getting more ROM and focus on the first 2 fingers. Regular grippers are too awkward inverted.

Well for my personal experience, like joe grip say i feel that doing inverted closes, emphatize on the middle and point fingers but when your closing a hard gripper the other two fingers (pinky and ring) are the ones that do the "dirty job" of closing that last inch. So the conclusion can be that doing inverted helps in overall hand strenght but not exactly for closing hardest grippers i think.

Big Bri, i train my last two fingers but with a store bought gripper (plastic ones), i feel that if i try that with the trainer they will fall off thx for the advice.

Thanks for the responses.