Help Me Build Strength/endurace For Guitar

itsmydamnation

hi i am looking for advice to build forearm, wrist and finger strength/endurance and people recommend i have a look around here.

Basically im coming to a point in my guitar playing where my complete lack of strength in my wrists (damn mother :( ) is affecting my development. What is happening is at any great speed I’m finding I’m starting to tension my arms/wrist, this is the biggest no no for a guitar player ever. Because of the fast repetitive movements im tensioning my muscles to pick in one direction when i come back the other way they are still tense and then my muscles end up fighting each other and my speed and control crashes and burns big time.

So im after advice on what exercise i should look at strengthen primarily my wrists and fingers and secondary my forearms, with the whole idea being the more strength i have when my muscles are lose the greater control (over both picking and dynamic) and speed i will have. Im also looking to build the strength in my left arms fingers and forearm to help with fast pull offs and bends.

Any help would be very appreciated!!!

edit: ahh i just noticed typo in the thread name.....lol cant figure out how to change.

Edited by itsmydamnation

I would recommend rotating chinese balls/dexterity balls, advance to rotating them your hand upside down. Other excercise I'd say is a good one for any musician, is finger walking. To strenghten your total lowerarm complex, Id recommend rolling up a regular carpet with your fingers and wrists.

Those are the few that come to mind. You'll do well with those for starters. Exercises are explained in detail in John Brookfield's outstanding books.

I often have the same problem as you:

With a light dumbell: try setting up your arm like you would for a reverse concentration curl, now do a static hold at the top, keep your arm there and do reverse wrist curls. Highly effective for building over all exetensor endurance IMO.

I have just the thing....its actually sold at most music www.gripmaster.net ......... i play guitar and this helps me alot...it reallly helps push down the strings

if your muscles are getting tense while playing, chances are your not warmed up enough.

nar im warmed up... an example is when doing fast alternate picking (32th) on E and then jumping up to g for 1 note (32th) then back down to the E (32th) or something like this when go to d/g string i find i have to tension my wrist to make it and then can't make it back. I know pure strength wont make me magically be able to do it, but i believe it would have a positive effect on my playing.

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S

E||-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------|

B||-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------|

G||-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------|

D||----------------------4-----5-----2h-4-|----------------------------------|

A||-----------------------------------------|------------------5-4-2-0-4-2-0---|

E||--0h-2-2-2-2-2-2-2---2-2---2-2------|--2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2---------------4-|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S

E||-------------------------------------------|----------------------------------||

B||-------------------------------------------|----------------------------------||

G||-------------------------------------------|----------------------------------||

D||------------------------4---5---4h-5p-2-|----------------------------------||

A||------4---5---4---------------------------|------4---5---4-0-4-0-0-0-4-------||

E||--2-2---2---2---2-2-2---2---2-----------|--2-2---2---2---------------4-4-4-||

Just playing guitar more helped me out in that respect. Learn to pay attention to how much pressure you are applying with your fingers. I have my guitar set up with a slightly high action, but I eventually adjusted to it just fine. Finger tip pushups are my recommendation, as well as speed drills on your guitar. Dedicate a few weeks to long, simple speed drills, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Ive been playing guitar for over 5 years and i can tell you that playing in itself will give you the most dexterity and strength in your fingers. If your wrist or fingers are hurting, i would lay off for a while and then go at it again, jumping strings and such to have your fingers get used to it.

Ive been playing guitar for over 5 years and i can tell you that playing in itself will give you the most dexterity and strength in your fingers. If your wrist or fingers are hurting, i would lay off for a while and then go at it again, jumping strings and such to have your fingers get used to it.

Yeah, I agree...just play. You'll come along. Learn how to play "Rude Mood" twice as fast as it is on record and you'll be all set.