A Rolling Thunder Technique To Use

Sybersnott

This is the RT technique as I understand it:  please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As you have the RT weight picked up in one hand, you use your other arm and shift most of your bodyweight to the opposite side of the weight as much as possible giving you more leverage for the lift.  Hence, the name "Sidewinder".  There is a photo of him performing this in one of the IronMind catalogs; it was at the RT World Championship in Honolulu.

From what you have said in your description I don't see any advantage in using this technique. Once its off the floor its off the floor. The hand must be in the centre of the handle and you must stand erect. Having the hand 'slide' to the side of the handle where it will come into contact with the triangle shaped bar which attachs to the carbina is tantamount to cheating. It would stop the RT being a rolling handle.

For the man concerned 200-300 lbs isn't gonna require him to use special deadlifting techniques to clear the floor - either in front of the body or by the side.

Any chance of a look at this pic?

I'm not sure that this is so much a lifting technique to "gain" something on the lift as it is just poor form.  I don't see how any advantage can be gained from it either...

I may be completely wrong about this, but I thought that the pic was of Brad Gillingham.  It's been a long while since I've seen that pic but, if I remember correctly, the caption read something about how Brad/Karl knows that he needs to get rid of the 'sidewinder' technique, presumably because it's poor, and potentially injurious, form.

Anyone still have the catalog in question?

BC.

I always thought RT was one of the simplest lifts. Just stand & pull. Why don't they worry more about making their hands stronger instead lifting with some funny technique. I suck at RT, so don't listen to me, but you'd think the best way to get good at it would be to strengthen the grip.

Nathan, when you're one of the Gillingham, your technique is very often THE technique and they don't have to worry about hand strength : they all closed the #3 and two of them are on the list of contenders for the #4.

Tou, which two Gillingham's are on the list of contenders to close the #4. I've spoken with Wade and he says he is still years away from closing it. At the moment he is busy trying to improve for strongman. He told me he closes the #3 for a couple sets of three. just to keep up his strength. I'd love to see the list of possible contenders for the four where can I view it.

I would be interested in hearing how close some of those working on it are to closing it.

Jeff, there's no "official list" but Wade and Gale are among the ones who could possibly close it one of these days.

This board has a few people who might have a real shot at it. No name but everybody know who those people are.

The strange thing about the RT is when you start to go heavy.  I don't know about anyone else, but once I get above the 150 pound mark... it starts to become a difficult lift.  I'm using my wrist more, and more of a "technique" comes into play when lifting with the RT.  Anyone else feel the same?  ???

Guest mikebyoung

Yes,Snott.

Only been training with the RT for a few sessions now. But I also feel some serious strain on my wrist when I go past 140 or so.

Like I said in the RT thread I started a few days ago, I haven't been able to come close to my first day with the RT.

My PR stands at 170lbs.