Too Young?

DCTama

Well ive been doing grip work for little over a month now, ive looked all around the internet to get maximum benefits from my training, and i think my results are good considering the time ive spent on grip work. I am only 15 but im super eager to get "into" grip work, but i was just wondering am i too young to be taking grip work serious, my hands are coping well IMO, i can close 100lbs nice and easy but is it too early to move onto 140lbs, also is 100lbs good for my age?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't think it's too young. I'd follow the "Beginner Program" in the FAQ section here for at least 1 year.

Include that as part of a well rounded, total body, strength program, don't think of yourself as a grip guy yet. Instead think of grip as a subset of your strength training. You've got a lot of growing and maturing to do yet. It's way too early to specialize in anything yet, IMO.

Well i got a shocker for you theres a member on here named Wes who killed a COC #3 gripper and now is a MM level 0 so the answer to your question is no your not to young.

Ya I was about to bring up my bo Wes, he is 16. Wasn't the youngest certed on the #3 14 years old?

You're not too young - I'm not too old - we're "just right"!!!

Well i got a shocker for you theres a member on here named Wes who killed a COC #3 gripper and now is a MM level 0 so the answer to your question is no your not to young.

Yes but hes also obviosly a grip natural since it took him little to no time at all.

I think 15 is a fine age to start gripping at. Youll just half to see what you can do and definantly start slow, a Leslie Neilson qoute comes to mind... " Like a blind man at an orgy I was just going to half to feel things out" Leslie Neilson, The Naked Gun 1 1/2, sorry saw it for the first time in awhile this weekend. Another thing, dont just only do grippers, I second Docs advice.

IM 15 and im 1/8th of an inch on the 3...if that's any help

Shoot, I forgot that I'm 17, and have had about the same progress in grip strength, albeit in other areas. ( he's better in grippers, I have stronger pinch) I can do about 5 reps on the #2 after about six months of training on them (I took a break somewhere in December to January off grippers, but did other stuff for crush), which I suppose is about normal for someone doing about as much work with them as I do (about twice a week for serious work).

i started about 9 months ago at 16 (i still am 16) and i went all out. I always go for big bends, and push my grip to its max. Im probably going about it the wrong way but im fine. Just be smart about it and dont over train. Rest when your body tells you too!

you cant be too young to start training, serious or not - i wish i would have started training at 8, never mind 15!

message from ironmind - "We have had several close the No. 3 as teenagers--the youngest was Mike Sanderson at 14 years old, followed by Jesse Murray at 15 years"

Not good Unseen, already forgetting your age? You'll be in trouble when your 40!

Lol, I've actually had to stop and think about my age before! With that kinda memory, I ain't gonna make it to 40! :trout

well, i am going to be back gripping again in a few more days i feel much better, the extensor work, hot/cold baths and rest seem to have done the trick, but i couldnt resist one more squeeze until i get back gripping properly again.(see avatar)

Edited by DCTama

Well ive been doing grip work for little over a month now, ive looked all around the internet to get maximum benefits from my training, and i think my results are good considering the time ive spent on grip work. I am only 15 but im super eager to get "into" grip work, but i was just wondering am i too young to be taking grip work serious, my hands are coping well IMO, i can close 100lbs nice and easy but is it too early to move onto 140lbs, also is 100lbs good for my age?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

It should be ok to train grip at 15, just resist the urge to train it too hard :D The biggest mistake you can make starting grippers is to start too hard and too fast. Singles worked best for me and they develop strength better than reps in my opinion. Just start out slow (no more than 3 days a week) and work your way into harder grippers and your strength will improve. You may find out that you require more or fewer days a week, just experiment until you find what is best for you.