Grip Machine Addition In Records/stats

Sybersnott

I asked Jedd about this and he said I should put up a thread here and ask everyone about it.

What would all of you think about having a grip machine addition in the records/stats section? The grip machine that I was thinking about was the G-Rex, probably because it's the best known AND because it has such a huge following/universal appeal.

Records would be deteremined by Jedd and probably videotaped to be judged. This would be (for example): two handed hold, one handed hold, gripper bar hold, gripper bar timed hold (fixed weight), and pinch plate.

I think it would be a great idea but I don't think you should limit it to the G-Rex. Why not have one for each category? If Jedd starts getting flooded with responses then I could see limiting it but I don't forsee that happening.

I want there to be lots of discussion and lots of opinions stated before I go ahead with this. Please let us know what you think everyone. Thanks to Sybersnott for starting this thread to get the info rolling, and Josh for contributing.

Looking forward to the discussion.

-Jedd-

Would it be weight levels like 200 250 300 or so. To get an idea maybe you should have some people at different levels on the grippers see what they can do, like a 2closer, 3closer and #4 That way you could have an idea of what the levels you could start at. Just a thought.

Edited by dave22

i think it's a great idea but i have to agree with josh that one shouldn't be limited to the G-Rex. i would think that the G-Rex would be less accessible and more people would probably own one of the lower priced machines like the beefbuilder. i suppose one thing that would have to be discussed is a standardized form so as to prevent any cheating and create more uniform lifting conditions. i personally haven't used the machine enough yet to say what these could be but perhaps others like john can offer his opinion since i'm sure he knows.

i agree with jad. i don't think you should limit it to just the g rex. i also think that having one for each catagory would be better, in my opinion though. having a grip machine records sec. is a cool idea

I add my thought since you want as many opinions as possible. I agree, I like the idea, I also agree it shouldn't be limited to just the G-Rex. That's too exclusive and doesn't really give most people IMO a good idea about grip machine abililty (since many of us might never even see a G=Rex in real life). Thanks

Sybersnott,

Great idea!!! The G-Rex and to others so Jedd does't get swamped.

Considering the weight differences between the diferent machines I think separate records - the "rack" on a G-Rex is much heavier than a BeefBuilder for example. My fear is how difficult it is not to cheat on a grip machine - it might just turn into a deadlift support as much as a "squeeze".

--G-rex--hammer strength--beef builder---ironmind--keep records for each--

--most common?---

my wife's club already has 2 hammer strength grippers--but i'd be willing to buy her a G-rex too--

kids i work with don't care for grippers at all--but like weighted machines--some strong grips here--

whether some one "cheats"or not--the strongest hands will prevail--in my opinion-

or establish -simple-video judging criteria

Edited by BigPaulFromCityHall

Sybersnott,

Great idea!!! The G-Rex and to others so Jedd does't get swamped.

I assume "to" should be "no".

So I would need to go buy & ship a G-Rex in order to even find out where I might rate one day?

I can buy grippers for less than $35 even in Alaska.

I bet I couldn't get a G-Rex for less than $400.

That's ridiculous. How about a standard that doesn't require you to be rich first before you can compete.

I think records for grip machines is a great idea. I do agree that there should be separate records for the differant brands though.

I also don't think it is a requirement to be rich in order to buy a grip machine no matter where you live or what brand you want. It is all about priorities, how bad do you want that grip machine? What are you willing to sacrifice?

As far as a standard that does not require you to sacrifice as much financially, there are gripper certifications.

That's just my 50¢

Mike

Shoot we got records for everything else, why not.

I'll echo what Mike said above about cost. Priorities.

I'm not excited about it, - its a fine idea, and if someone wants to do the work I wouldn't argue against it. But I am concerned that cheating and variations in the different machines wouldn't yield very interesting results.

Maybe Snott should just take this one on, since he brought the idea? I would probably look at the results a few times but I don't have a grip machine and don't have any intention to buy one so it wouldn't be as useful to me.

So that's my rambling argument, not really against it but not excited about it. :)

If you guys want to do it fine!

Like others have said, way way too easy to cheat on a machine though.

Considering the weight differences between the diferent machines I think separate records - the "rack" on a G-Rex is much heavier than a BeefBuilder for example. My fear is how difficult it is not to cheat on a grip machine - it might just turn into a deadlift support as much as a "squeeze".

yes climber is right on again on my home made g rex machine you can cheat by deadlifting it insted of gripping maby the arms will have to be at an angle or bent arm and only allow machines that have no leaverage only dead weight :whacked

Wow! :cool I thought you guys woulda HATED the idea.... :D

I wanted to start off with the G-Rex because it seems like it's the best and most known/most used/universal multi-purpose grip machine that's out there.

We can add other grip machines later on - I just wanted to start with the G-Rex because it has a two handed bar, a gripper bar and a pinch plate plus you can add your own BW to it for overloads. The BW can be added on to the weight that's already on the machine for whatever cert you are going for.

Maybe we can add the BeefBuilder GM as well -- just throwing some ideas out there!! :D:D

OK Sybersnott - give us some numbers to shoot for!

• 3 weeks later...

"Regular" grip machines, since they're basically all like the Beef Builder grip machine, would seem to be as basic & similar as, say, a barbell is to any other piece of pipe same size & length used to put plates on. As long as we could standardize grip machines the same way we standardize barbells & dumbells, I can't see why homemade grip machines couldn't be used for comparisons (maybe not records, though).