First G5! Feels Great!

steelbiceps

In the last couple workouts I had only been able to warble g5s a bit, but I tried a slightly different hold today and it suddenly moved:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=4272

How is the g5-to-g8 jump compared to the g2-to-g5 jump? G2-to-g5 was pretty wide. And how close is a g8 to a red? I'm not a big fan of cutting stuff down with bolt cutters, since the red is 7" and I've gotta get used to that length somehow, so I'm looking for some good in-between steps that are 6" to 7" long. I have trouble getting the dang things anywhere near my neck.

Congrats of the 5. I'm trying to cross that same gulf myself. At this point the G5 is going no where for me yet. Well done.

I just tried my first grade 5 just a few days ago....I was bending 5 inch blues and 5 ince 60d's before I tried a grade 5....I was actually bending grade 8's before grade 5's...So just for the heck of it I got some grade 5's just to bend for some warmups before jumping onto the grade 8's and the gap is pretty big man....the grade 8 not only is tougher than the 5 but it actually springs back at you....you throw everything you have into it and when it does bend it springs back some so it is real dang tough...the grade 8 is close to the red...prolly the closest thing you can buy at a store....anyway congrats on the G5 it is an accomplishment a nice achievement keep it up and get to where you can bend them G5's anytime you want to and start working on the red....and BTW the kewl thing about bolts is that they are available in different sizes so you wont have to cut em down to get different lengths...really the reason I think about bending shorter is to toughen up your hands and ligaments without trying to find bigger stuff so if you can bend a 5 inch G5 you should be able to smoke an G8 its just my opinion good luck with the bending bro and dont try and do to much to fast I ran into that and screwed my shoulder up and couldnt bend nothing for well over a month!! its not worth it to go to far to fast just take your time...I know its hard but tell yourself that =)

Great job on the Grade 5! Those are tough bastards for sure.

I agree with Troy about once you can bend a 5" Grade 5 you should be able to bend a 6" Grade 8.

Are you a DU or DU bender?

Stan,

I think the jump from a Grade 5 to a Grade 8 can take a while if you are bending a style other than DO. If you get some volume 5-10 Grade 5s once a week for three weeks you will be hitting Grade 8s no problem. At least that is how I remember it.

-Sean

Congrats Stan!!! Do some volume work on the Grade 5s and cut them down as well. Then you will be able to get to the Grade 8.

Don't worry too much about bending at your neck, do what feels right and what works. The jump to G8 is considerable, took me about 4 months.

For 7" stuff, find some 5/16 hrs, and some 7" G8's.

Thanks a lot for the advice and info guys! I'll be happy to finish off my bag of 25 g5s in the next few weeks. Ben, I'm about half & half between DU and DO, at the moment. I'm not sure which is stronger for me, but it's looking like DO is improving faster, so it may be my dominant style in the near future. The g5s I warped were all done DU. I warped this one DU, too, but finished it DO.

I'll have to try a 5" g5. 5" is a comfortable length for me. I'll also look for 5/16" hrs. Is 5/16" hrs similar in difficulty to 5/16" grade 2 bolts? It'll be awesome to get some heftier stuff in my pile of conquered metal.