Us Handstrength Rules Up For Vote

Bob Lipinski

Through a few suggestions, this is the rule list I am presenting for this vote. The items in bold are newer items that have been added through various suggestions.

This is up for vote to promoters and competitors in grip contests. For this thread I would just like a "yes" or "no" vote. Please list your real name, and what event you competed in/promoted if for some reason you think you might not be recognized through your screen name.

For this vote, let's keep discussion out of it. Within a month, I will be introducing means to modify and vote on rule changes. If there are minor changes you would like to see but no "deal breakers", please vote "yes". There are many things this rule set does not address- Hand size classes, etc. These are things that I would like to leave up to future debate, and added or changed after the basics that we all agree on are nailed down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

General Competition Guidelines

A competition recognized by US Handstrength should follow these general guidelines:

1. More than three events in the contest.

2. Over half of the events must be from the generalized list of grip lifts, and all events must have a strong emphasis on hand strength. The contest must test at least three of the following categories of handstrength- Wrist strength, Crushing, Supporting, and Pinching. Competitions which do not meet above criteria may be approved through a vote by current promoters.

3. Competent and objective judging must be present.

4. No hook grip allowed.

5. Standard gym chalk allowed- No rosin, tacky, spray grip, etc.

6. No straps or wrist wraps allowed.

7. No more than 4 attempts allowed per event.

8. Each attempt can consist of a no longer than one minute period where the lifters may make as many attempts to lift the weight as they choose. This does not apply to timed events.

9. The competition should be announced at least 1 month in advance and open to the public.

Recognized Grip Feats

Note- The following feats are the most generally recognized and popularly accepted. As other feats become popular or regularly used, the event list will be accordingly updated.

1. Crushing

-Hand Grippers- No set, Credit card set, or Parallel Set.

2. Supporting

-Olympic bar deadlift/hold (one or two handed)

-One Hand Dumbell Deadlift, Clean, or Snatch

-Revolving Handle lifts

-Double Overhand Deadlift

-Vertical Bar lifts (1" diameter is the usual standard)

-Ring lifts

-Hercules Hold

-Farmers Walk

4. Leverage lifts

-Brick Lifts

-Short Steel Bending (Bars under 7" of length)- Regular, Double Underhand, European style

-Sledgehammer Leverage

8. Pinch Lifts

-Plate pinching, 1 and two handed

-Hub Lifts

-Block lifts (various manufactured implements)

-Block weight lifts

Single Event Contests:

Single event contests are recognized. These events can help promote grip sports by being attached to larger events such as strongman competitions or powerlifting meets. All rules (besides # and type of events) are applicable, and records for these contests will be held seperately.

Regular would be FBBC rules basically (though I would not "disallow" ironmind rules), European is double underhand to 60 degrees. I can rewrite that for clarity.

Yes

Yes, competed in TPS G.A.

*Since the WHSA is done this stuff should replace it in that section, just rename the thread topics. More has already been accomplished here and it makes it easier than having a bunch of threads floating around.

Yes.

Yes.

Another typo- Short steel bending is for bars 7" and under, not less than 7.

Yes.

All this makes total sense. Is there anything on this list that needs to be further dscussed? Please say so if you think of it is wrong or unfair.

-Jedd-

Yes.

Bob, a quick question. You mention short bar bending being 7" and under, but 7" bolts like the 5/16" G6 are actually 7 1/8 to 7 1/4" long because of the head. Are these still included? I assume yes, in keeping with the spirit of the rules.

Yeah Clay, I would include those, I assume no one else would have a problem there. Definitely within the spirit of the rules.

If that becomes a point of contention, we could get more specific.

Hahahahah, also we don't have too many people bending crap in that range. The 5/16 grade 5, it is called the "Edgin", isn't it :)?

Yes. Mike Corlett is the name. I have competed in Iron Grip Challenge 2004, 2005, Iron Grip Decathlon 2005, Grip Reaper Rolling Thunder 2005, and 2004 West Coast Iron Grip Championship.

I won't enter a contest that has bending or farmer's walk, as my body doesn't do well with them. But that doesn't hold me back from voting "yes".

Hubgeezer