Coc's With New Springs

Davesbeard

I've heard lots of talk about CoC's being much much harder with the new springs than they used to be and i've heard the #3 being mentioned in this respect much more often.

Is it the #3 in particular thats harder or does it apply across the board?

I ask because all my grippers have the new springs and i'm wondering how they compare to older and other brand grippers.

I have not noticed much of a difference. I have 13 #3's. They all vary a bit. But nothing drastic.

Others may have a different perspective, since grippers vary.

My new #3 is easier than my old one I bought in 2004, I think the new ones may be more consistent than the old ones.

I have not noticed much of a difference. I have 13 #3's. They all vary a bit. But nothing drastic.

Others may have a different perspective, since grippers vary.

:blink 13 O_O U must really be a gripomaniac haha...how many grippers do you have total?

This is very intresting topic to me since a week or so ago Dr. Randall Strossen callled me and talked about a half hour or so about the #3 and the Credit Card rule. Long story short I have a 2004 #3 than 2 IronMind COC's cannot close. This thing is crazy hard!!! One COC said it was more like a 3.2. So to solve this I ordered a new #3 with the GR8 spring. Dr Strossen assured me that my older may be a bit harder after 2004 he sent one #3 to Mr. Sorin for his opinion his reply was "not too hard not easy either" So at this point all #3's from this point on were to be like this one as close as possible right down the strike zone as he put it to now make all #3's as close to being alike as possible much more accurate than the past. I am really close to finishing the KTA and using the old tough #3 and when I get to the end I am going to cut open the new #3 on video and attempt to close it at this point I promise you I will know the difference between the old and new if there is any as Dr. Strossen stated.

all #3's as close to being alike as possible much more accurate than the past.

We've discussed this quite a bit over the years. Much more accurate than the past? The best you can do is get the same physical dimensions and that includes wire size. Now, what piano wire is used and what spool it comes off at the time it's made and how tight the spring gets wound all cause variation within those dimensions chosen (depth of handles, width of the handles). That's about all you can do.

Most of what I said above was what Dr. Strossen's reply was to me since I did think my #3 was very tough compared to others. I have to give him credit he was very concerned about what all of us on the GripBoard thought ( and should ) he went on for days about the Credit Card rule; He said he had to have a standard and credit cards are the same whether youre in North Carolina or Iraq so I told him maybe not quite that wide but not as close to parrallel either...whatever.As advertised with KTA my hands are much stronger than before either way!! I will attempt my new #3 this week but it looks the very same as my old #3 except for the spring being shiny :blink . All I know is that I will close one some day either way with the CC rule. Dr. Strossens's main point to me was that he recoginzed that his #3's were varying too much around 2004 and wanted to do whatever he could to get them more uniformed in production than the past. Great buisness man and said ," Hey were a small buisness anytime you guys on the GripBoard have a concern I want to know". :bow

were a small buisness anytime you guys on the GripBoard have a concern I want to know

Hey, that's cool. Especially since he's never acknowledged this board's existence in the past. Even though this board is probably one of the biggest generators of business for grippers because we have no bias here with respect to good equipment.