Can I Fix This?

Booyah!!!

Participated in The SOHGC competition on 01 Apr and hit some significant PRs for me. 7" and 6" FBBC 1/4 " square stock and have previously bent a 5" Grd 5 bolt. For my final bend, I attacked a 7"X5/16 round FBBC round stock with every and all energy I had and it barely moved. I just got done looking at assorted charts and the 5" grd 5 and the 6" sq are significantly above this. HMMM :blink Has this happened to any of you Bastards? Can I fix this? Thanks!! Mike (Bastard wanna be)

Participated in The SOHGC competition on 01 Apr and hit some significant PRs for me. 7" and 6" FBBC 1/4 " square stock and have previously bent a 5" Grd 5 bolt. For my final bend, I attacked a 7"X5/16 round FBBC round stock with every and all energy I had and it barely moved. I just got done looking at assorted charts and the 5" grd 5 and the 6" sq are significantly above this. HMMM :blink Has this happened to any of you Bastards? Can I fix this? Thanks!! Mike (Bastard wanna be)

some ppl are more adapt to shorter pieces....and when you add an inch in length altough its supposed to make it weaker because of leverage but since your used to 6 inch and shorter the extra inch throws off your technique...try some 7" pieces of 1/4 just to get the feel for the longer bars and see if that makes a difference...I was bending 5 inch 60d bright commons and these were just under a red nail and I was bending em very easy and I jumped onto a red when I was fresh one day and it barely budged...but after playing with it for a bit I finally fell into the form and it bent a whole lot and I got it finished shortly after...but try some 7 inch x 1/4 pieces just to feel it out.

I was stuck at the 5/16 round for a long time, I worked up to 7 G8's in a row, but still could not bend a red. The problem was that I was getting better at 6" pieces, but not 7" bars. All I had to work with at 7" was hrs, and that was weaker than G8's.

So what you need to do is get some good 7" stock. Buy some 5/16 hrs, and go to the hardware stores and pick up some 7, 8, and 10" timber ties, and some 7" common nails. Cut them all down to 7", and that should give you a nice variety of long bars that are progressively weaker than the FBBC bar. And all that long bar bending will improve your 7" form, which is very important. Burn through your supply, and you should be more than ready to be a Bastard.

And about the poundage ratings, you can only use those to compare steel of equal length. So the fact that a 5" G5 is a higher poundage, does not make it harder than a red.

Mike, You have some impressive strength, I have no doubt you will be a Bastard.

What helped me was going back to the 7" pieces that I could bend.

Just keep on bending the 7"Square, Hex. or Round.

I had the same problem. Could bend 6" stuff with ease, 5.5 not bad, even 5". Try the 7" stuff & I could never seem to get it in place. Problem was I got a big kick out of bending bolts & the longest I had was 6". 7" stuff just killed me. I finally got a piece of 7" square, then started training just that & it wasn't long & I became a Bastard.

With much respect, thankyou for the replies you "Bastards" !!! Mike(Bastard wanna be)

Mike, I'd give you some advice if I could ... but then again, I have trouble with timber ties, so I got nuthin'. :tongue haha

-Paul

I was born a Bastard, thanks to some unwed parents. Years later would I discover that if you just hit some Grade 8 at 6" for some volume. Followed by some HRS at 7" to get in the groove of bending longer stock would I begin to climb the FBBC ladder. So, to answer your question about fixing this? Yes you can. Stay consistent, stay focused, mind your form and wrap tight, explode into the nail and you will get through this in no time flat.

-Sean