Crushing A Bamboo

Alawadhi

this is a new challenge guys. some old karate masters could break a thick bamboo with their grip power. I didn't see it but it is mentioned in some sites and some books. can anyone here on the board do this feat?

Edited by Alawadhi

hmm...i've felt of bamboo before extremely tough and not very big around...how would you crush or.."how would you be holding it?" when you squeezed it? sounds pretty dang tough to me :blink

as far as the diameter of a bamboo, it's not a very large number. because of that i'd imagine it would be damn near impossible for a human to crush a bamboo with just crushing power, unless you have the strength of a panda

Edited by big bri

There area few variables,

Is the bamboo wet/green or dry? Dry would be easier.

How long is the peice you are crushing? The longer it is, above the width of your hands the harder it'll be.

What is the diamiter of the peice? I don't think this one is as important as everyone has different size hands, just pick a peice that fits your hand size.

This would be interesting to try, unfortunately you don't have much bamboo around here...I think it would be very hard to do, if not impossible. I have an old fishing rod made out of bamboo somewhere in my mom's house, I guess I'll give it a try next time I'll go there. Of course it's quite thin and dry, but it's the only piece of bamboo I think I can find.

Anyway it would be hard to make any comparisons, theres a huge variation I believe. Interesting to hear about old karate masters doing these kind of things though.

I don't think it's possible to crush a bamboo stick with one hand. Probably they were breaking it by bending it.

I think that these kind of things are those that have been exagerated. As many of those legendary old time feats of strength. Some true and some just tales.

It's elastic, so very hard to crush I reckon. They make bicycles (and skateboards and furniture etc) out of bamboo, it's strong enough for that.

Physical Properties

Bamboo has some excellent physical properties. These include lightweight, elasticity and high strength. The following table shows some comparative data:

Material - Modulus (x 1000 psi) - Strength

Alaskan Cedar - 1.14 - 6.4

Sitka Spruce - 1.23 - 5.7

Douglas Fir - 1.35 - 6.8

Fibreglass Polyester - 2.5 - 59

Fibreglass Phenolic - 5 - 110

Fibreglass Epoxite - 5.3 - 120

Bamboo - 6.4 - 165

Graphite (Low Modulus)-19.4 - 250

Graphite Epoxite - 33 - 148

From this data one can observe that bamboo is actually stronger and stiffer than wood and fibreglass while not being as strong as some of the graphites. By way of explanation, the term ‘modulus’ is a measure of stiffness and is the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of the material. The elastic limit is that point to which materials can be stressed without incurring permanent deformation. Generally speaking the materials with a higher modulus also have a higher tensile strength.

It's elastic, so very hard to crush I reckon. They make bicycles (and skateboards and furniture etc) out of bamboo, it's strong enough for that.

Physical Properties

Bamboo has some excellent physical properties. These include lightweight, elasticity and high strength. The following table shows some comparative data:

Material - Modulus (x 1000 psi) - Strength

Alaskan Cedar - 1.14 - 6.4

Sitka Spruce - 1.23 - 5.7

Douglas Fir - 1.35 - 6.8

Fibreglass Polyester - 2.5 - 59

Fibreglass Phenolic - 5 - 110

Fibreglass Epoxite - 5.3 - 120

Bamboo - 6.4 - 165

Graphite (Low Modulus)-19.4 - 250

Graphite Epoxite - 33 - 148

From this data one can observe that bamboo is actually stronger and stiffer than wood and fibreglass while not being as strong as some of the graphites. By way of explanation, the term ‘modulus’ is a measure of stiffness and is the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of the material. The elastic limit is that point to which materials can be stressed without incurring permanent deformation. Generally speaking the materials with a higher modulus also have a higher tensile strength.

...except for brittle materials (like cement).

Interesting, but wood is also very anisotropic -- having different strengths in different directions. I'm sure these measurements were taken along the grain of the wood, but if you crushed a bamboo stick you'd be breaking it with force perpendicular to that. Essentially, you'd be squeezing it until it splits along the grain. The above measurements correspond to loading in tension and measuring it stretch/snap.

I used to have escrima sticks of bamboo. Considering how tough those things are, I'd be shocked if anyone could crush one. 'Course, those are fairly thick pieces of bamboo.

The only thing i know that can crush bamboo like childs play are the silver back gorillas.I seen it on the Discovery channel.Humans wouldnt be able to do this IMO.

What about guys with really long arms and very short legs...

What about guys with really long arms and very short legs...

ROFL! :D

What is the diamiter of the peice? I don't think this one is as important as everyone has different size hands, just pick a peice that fits your hand size.

you are right. people asked what's the bamboo diamiter. as i said in my post i didn't see this feat. and you were right when you said people have different hand size and should pick a peice that fits his hand.

The only thing i know that can crush bamboo like childs play are the silver back gorillas.I seen it on the Discovery channel.Humans wouldnt be able to do this IMO.

yes, ive seen silverbacks in person a few times now, first time when i was 9 - i managed to find out the one i was looking at weighed 401lbs that morning - he was king kong as far as i was concerned, i thought he was fake until he looked over at me

they can weigh up to 450lbs an the strength to weight ratio is roughly 5 x that of a human - thats the strength of 2250lbs of human, an the grip of them is straight up rediculous

id love to teach a silverback how to close grippers (without getting myself killed) - give him an banana everytime he closed a #4 or something - probably close it a few times, then snap it on half an throw it at me

Gorillas have even learned sign language. Koko knows thousands of signs and understands thousands of words in English. Someone who knew sign language could probably translate the official MMS, CCS, and TNS rules for her and she could probably do them all to a WT.

http://www.koko.org/news/Press_Releases/pr_050728_CWSE.html

And look at the size of those fingers and knuckles!

http://www.koko.org/news/Events/event_051018_ASME_Award.html

And she's not even big for a gorilla.

this is a new challenge guys. some old karate masters could break a thick bamboo with their grip power. I didn't see it but it is mentioned in some sites and some books. can anyone here on the board do this feat?

I think it is humanly possible, like kerbjr says, "if the mind can concieve it, the body can achieve it"!

I also think it depends on this..... (a) how old is it, (b) is it fresh, and if not then how long has it been disconnected from the trunk? © how big does it have to be (d) can I use two hands??? Right now I don't think I could crush it, maybe in 5 years! But if one could crush a unopened coke can, then surely a bambo could be conquered? That is just my opinion though! I think it could be done, and so yes I do believe it is possible!

Mr. Gripster

What about two pieces of bamboo and crushing them like a gripper? Cut both pieces before the joint to give you two hollow tubes and crush them together.

Gorillas have even learned sign language. Koko knows thousands of signs and understands thousands of words in English. Someone who knew sign language could probably translate the official MMS, CCS, and TNS rules for her and she could probably do them all to a WT.

I would love to see a researcher tell a gorilla about grippers and get them to close some massive ones. This would just be an amazing demonstration of a gorrilla's raw power.

Edited by Left Side

Watching gorillas deadlift would be quite amazing too. That would be easier to "teach" I think, if some other lifting device than barbell would be used and food hidden under that.