Buckets Filled With...

Davesbeard

..Sand, rice, whatever. I'm talking about a bucket filled with some loose material which you then place your hand/hands in and well, i'm not sure what you do.

I've seen this hand strengthening technique mentioned a few times all over the place but i'm not quite sure what it involves. Which materials to use, what you actually do that sort of thing.

I know this is fairly climbing related but its also overall hand strength so i thought i'd post it here. (I also don't really know any good climbing specific forums. At least none approaching this boards standard)

So, what do i do?

This is a martial arts related exercise for strengthening the fingers but thrusting your straight stiff fingers deep into a bucket of sand for many many repetitions. I have read about this regarding the Iron Palm style and is supposed to be one of the effective exercises for that purpose.

Now as far as the hand in the sand exercise I have tried it and it is a simple and effective method for getting a good pump in those forearms. I found rather than jamming the hands in I need to dig my way down deep enough to have the sand go past the wrists and then try to explosively open your hand then just a intensely crush the sand in your grip.

I suspect it will hit the extensors for sure and promote some endurance if you keep it up until exhaustion, maybe as a finisher to a workout.

I have heard of people using rice, sand, even metal filings. You place said material into a bucket, then you put your hands in and make fists with the stuff. This is what I was told by Elite Fitness. I would assume thrusting your hands into the stuff would work, just different areas of the hand.

Put your hand in a bucket of rice. Make a fist, then stir your hand around the rice, breaking at the wrist - clockwise and counterclockwise. Gets a lot of blood pumping through the forearm.

even metal filings.
Yeah, I hear broken glass is good, too! :blink

The opening and closing of the hand in sand is an incredible flexor/extensor exercise, and your wife chasing you all over the house with a frying pan after you spill the sand all over the living room carpet is great cardio work.

I probably wouldn't jam my hand in a bucket of metal filings. I that stuff cuts you and gets into your bloodstream, yikes. Rice yes. Grabbing and twisting is good too, especially for grappling and whatnot.