Can Someone Tell How Many Sets/reps I Should Be Doing?

spinal1

I've been hearing good things about the CoC so I ordered myself a trainer and #1

So far, I can come real close to gripping the #1

I just started grip training so I'm still pretty weak.

None the less, I'm training about 2-3x a week, but how many sets should I be doing and how many reps for strength?

I think I'll work on the trainer for now until I can get the #1

Also, I'd like to mention my tendons are sore as hell in my right hand, it hurts to even attempt to close a #1, so I'll be recuperating the next few days.

I've been hearing good things about the CoC so I ordered myself a trainer and #1

None the less, I'm training about 2-3x a week, but how many sets should I be doing and how many reps for strength?

Also, I'd like to mention my tendons are sore as hell in my right hand, it hurts to even attempt to close a #1, so I'll be recuperating the next few days.

Concentrate on solid singles crushing the hell out of it! forget reps thats for bodybuilders. We're building maximum Crush!!! :shifty

Get the book Mastery of Handstrength by John Brookfield. Look in the FAQ sections to all the forums here, and do some good searches. There is a ton of answers out there to your questions. It is really going to depend on your overall goals for grip.

-Sean

Try some basic routines you can get your hands on. In the beginning you'll make progress with any kind of routine, as long as you don't train so much that you'll get inflammatory symptoms. I would say limit your work with grippers to a warmup of couple of reps with easier gripper and then do few (maybe five) good and hard singles. Try doing it 3 times a week. Don't forget to throw in other types of grip training, and don't neglect forearms and wrists. John Brookfield's Mastery Of Hand Strength definetely is a good book to start with, as smp76 allready said. David Horne has written a good article about building a base of strength. I suggest you read it.

As months go by, you'll start to notice what works for YOU. Keep a training log. It is essential tool to see if you are making progress and you will find it useful, if you are going to make any conclusions about your training.

Good luck!

7 x 7 no more, no less.

I suggest you train on grippers once a week, at the start too much will just get you injured.

Do singles I say.

I suggest you train on grippers once a week, at the start too much will just get you injured.

Do singles I say.

i agree. you need to ease into putting more stress on the hand and forearm muscles since they are small muscle groups and if they aren't used to the stress they could get inflamed. if you're looking for maximum crushing strength go with singles. but if you want you can experiment with some lower reps, no more than 5 or 7 as suggested in another post and see whether your muscles respond more to singles or reps.

I vote for singles and negatives, they are the only way to go.

They are? :blink

They are? :blink

IMHO of course :D But I did close the #3 within 5 months of touching a gripper using singles and occasional negatives so I kinda like singles :happy

This is how weak I am right now... I can close a trainer twice, lmao.

So I should close it, then do a negative and rest?

How many times?

How many times?

I'd say just close it as many times during the day as you can 3 days a week (try once an hour or so, and if you can't get it, use your other hand to help get it shut). Eventually it will get easier, an you can decrease the time in between attempts.

How many times?

dont worry about it, about 90% of the gym rats ive handed my grippers to struggle with the trainer

Close it once, take a break, close it again. Do this as many times as you can. Switch up your workouts and don't just do grippers at the exclusion of all else.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

How else can I train my grip? Blobs?

Funny story btw, just came home from work and cranked out the Trainer for 4-5 reps...

I swear, earlier today I couldn't close it for the life of me.

weird.

:blink I'm shocked!! :blink

I think this HAS to be the first thread I've read in quite a while that NO ONE has shouted out, "KTA!! KTA!!"

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

How else can I train my grip? Blobs?

Funny story btw, just came home from work and cranked out the Trainer for 4-5 reps...

I swear, earlier today I couldn't close it for the life of me.

weird.

My buddy (fatboy) and i have been doing this for 10 months or so and when we started we couldn't do the 2, the 1 yes, but not the 2. We were about 1/2 in from closing the 2 and now im getting ready to cert on the 3. Not too bad for 10 moths, but honestly, get some walmart plastic ones they will help out alot and there cheap, work with those and make sure u worm up that is very important, like u said in the morning u couldn't then at night u could, all the work through out the day wormed up your hands a little so at night u were more prepared. One other helpful hint with the plastic ones u can undo the metal that holds them closed so they can open more,by pulling them apart, now u can make extened reps, i've done that with my 1 and 2 it helps alot for the start and it gives u a good stretch too. hope this helps

Oh and one other thing get some rubber bands and do some extentions , like they said earlier u need to train all the muscles, the rubber bands from grocery stores( like around the carrots, or something) they work well.

something i very rarely see is people talking of is tennis balls for grip strength

i used a basically 1 single tennis ball to get to 9 reps on the #2 - ive done most of my training using that ball, a tennis ball is one of the best grip tools out there an it costs next to nothing

Edited by viper

something i very rarely see is people talking of is tennis balls for grip strength

i used a basically 1 single tennis ball to get to 9 reps on the #2 - ive done most of my training using that ball, a tennis ball is one of the best grip tools out there an it costs next to nothing

Back in middle school tech class we didn't have a dyno, so we used tennisball squeezes for reps instead. I don't remember it being that hard? Are you talking about pushing your fingers into it and making it touch the other side inside the ball?

Back in middle school tech class we didn't have a dyno, so we used tennisball squeezes for reps instead. I don't remember it being that hard? Are you talking about pushing your fingers into it and making it touch the other side inside the ball?

i use many different exercises

i have some balls that are more like rocks an the only way i can crush them completely (making it touch the other side) is by using the finger tips - i have broke a few balls like this because they were so tough to crush

the one i use for most of the training gradually gets harder as you crush it like a gripper does, but its practically unbreakable

Sorry - changed my mind.

Edited by climber511