Btr Filed Gripper Vs. Wide Regular Gripper

TelegraphKey

If I have 2 grippers allegedly the same resistance, BUT (A) is wide, 3" spread stock, while (B) is, say, 2-3/4" wide but I filed it 1/4" to make the spread 3" by going BTR --

Are (A) & (B) the same, or is (B) harder to close than (A)?

If the stock gripper has a 3" spread, is the last cm or so before full close any easier than the last cm in the 3" filed gripper?

Thanks

All depends on the spring, I have a weak 3 that is filed 3/8" and is filed back half-way up the handle, it was around 3" before the filing, it is probably as tough as my hard 3 which is 3" wide and unfiled.

A filed gripper is smaller in the hand when closed, so even if the resistance were the same, it would be harder / easier, depending on your strengths.

A filed gripper is smaller in the hand when closed, so even if the resistance were the same, it would be harder / easier, depending on your strengths.

Wait...What? (I feel like the stoned robot on Saturday Night Live)

You mean "harder/easier" in that, say, smaller-handed guys who are very strong would have perhaps an easier time with the smaller diameter?

My question is, if 2 springs were demonstrated to be exactly the same strength, but one spring gave a 3" spread gripper, the other spring gave a 2-3/4" gripper (but this gripper was filed an extra 1/4"), would closing the filed gripper all the way, give more resistance than the first, or same resistance?

Thanks.

If the grippers are the same strength, I would say the filed gripper would be harder due to the extended ROM set or no set.

Wait...What? (I feel like the stoned robot on Saturday Night Live)

You mean "harder/easier" in that, say, smaller-handed guys who are very strong would have perhaps an easier time with the smaller diameter?

I don't think I know anyone who would have an easier time with the smaller diameter, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. I haven't a clue how to test it.

I would think the filed gripper would be harder since it closes farther and normally the spring gets harder the farther it's closed.

But a wider gripper "might" compress the spring as much or more if it has a greater distance from open to close.

One other use for filed grippers is strapholds with a thicker piece of material, so you're still closing the gripper at least to the normal range.

If the grippers are the same strength, I would say the filed gripper would be harder due to the extended ROM set or no set.

Right on the money :mosher

My opinion would be that it depends on where your strength is best. The 3'' spread would be easier for people with a better sweep and the filed gripper would be easier for people with a better close.

I'd pick the filed gripper to be harder, since most people's close is much weaker than their sweep

EDIT: nevermind, i just noticed i said the exact same thing as scott < <

Edited by oso