I Destroyed A Can!

Alawadhi

Hello guys

Today in the UNV i was talking to my friends until someone said "hey of you can close that hard gripper you have(#2) can you burst a coca cola can?" I knew i can't do it but i said it for fun"yes i can". i bought one and after 10 to 15 seconds it blew!!! :cool i couldn't believe my eyes, i was shocked. :blink and everyone is talking about this feat. i came home and bought two can on the way to check my strenght. i did it again. i don't know who in the forum told me that it is near to blow a can! i did it :rock

Congrats! I would have chosen Diet Coke, though, to get less sticky. :)

it was diet

Unless he accidently typed "closing the #2" instead of closing the #4 with 2 fingers, then it was done with two hands.

of course by two hands. it will be very long until i can do it with one hand.

Wait just a second...no way you are telling me that somebody is able to do it with one hand?

Who, when and where?

Wait just a second...no way you are telling me that somebody is able to do it with one hand?

Who, when and where?

some ppl thought that Kinney did it with one hand but someone pointed out that he actually used 2 hands but it was in the strangle position.....you would have to have some serious grip for a one hand squeeze and I wouldnt really think it would be crush strength entirely since the can doesnt have a whole lot of give to it so more like a kind of pinch to me but the 2 hand crush is more than enough to impress some folks.

Yeah, I knew all along that nobody is able to do it with one hand. Not possible. I was just curious where is that kind of misinformation from.

That two handed strangle position bursting sure is amazing.

Yeah, I knew all along that nobody is able to do it with one hand. Not possible. I was just curious where is that kind of misinformation from.

That two handed strangle position bursting sure is amazing.

I wonder if the slim cans would be any easier, the type red bull use.. worth a try.

I work in a can making plant... I know structural pressures and the pressure it takes for a can to burst from the soda etc expanding and it's never the sidewall which fails, always the dome! (bottom)

The sidewall is very thin, the weakest part of the can will be near the top, as the can is formed via a press so the material will be thinner at the top. somewhat 0.0065" thousandths of an inch ( if i'm not mistaken!)

Those slim cans would be easier, but to burst them with one hand...strikes to me as impossible.

nothing is impossible. the #4 was impossible before kenney closed it. if magnus burst a can in less than 1 second he can do a one hand in 20 seconds or less. squeeze and turn, squeeze and turn, and so on. and yeah in my country they also make a thin redbull can. but when in this summer i was in china the EMPTY CAN of redbull was very hard to squeeze by two hands. now imagine a sealed can! looks VERY VERY HARD if not impossible.

btw, what's two handed strangle position?

sweet...it feels really good to feel that thing explode...

Well, you can't do that squeeze and turn with only one hand, or can you? You sure can squeeze but you can't turn. That wouldn't be one handed bursting, if you used your other arm in any way.

If you have read Grip Master's Manual, you sure noticed that John Brookfield said how much pressure you have to be able to generate to burst that can. I don't have a book at hand just now but I recall it was something like 500-600 lb pounds of pressure. Corret me if I'm wrong, I have that book but I'm at work while writing this. No matter how many times you squeeze, even if you are able to close #4 it just isn't enough to be able to do it with one hand.

And Magnus Samuelsson does it with chest involvement. Original question was about one handed strangle. That is impossible.

Edited by Teemu I

it was 600 lb. but yeah you can squeeze and turn by one hand

Ok, to be clear, I meant squeeze and twist. Sorry, of course you can turn. That turning won't help much anyway, you have to able to concentrate your efforts on the weak spot you can possibly generate. So, I'll stick to the point that it is not possible to do it with one hand, no matter what technique one might use. Size of the can being smaller doesn't significantly increase the chances of doing it. That amount of pressure generated with one hand is way beyond human strength potential.

But in this case I would happy, if somebody did it and proved my claims total rubbish. :)

Edited by Teemu I

I took a Red Bull can, shook it up, put a cloth around it, and one hand squeezed it as hard as I have ever crushed anything in my life. Then I tried the other hand. Because it was a $2 can, I went ahead and videoed my first attempt.

No deal. That thing felt like my thickbar. It has a few crinkles in the center, but that is it. I would like to see Tommy or Dave squeeze one, because I think it can be done.

Hello guys

Today in the UNV i was talking to my friends until someone said "hey of you can close that hard gripper you have(#2) can you burst a coca cola can?" I knew i can't do it but i said it for fun"yes i can". i bought one and after 10 to 15 seconds it blew!!! :cool i couldn't believe my eyes, i was shocked. :blink and everyone is talking about this feat. i came home and bought two can on the way to check my strenght. i did it again. i don't know who in the forum told me that it is near to blow a can! i did it :rock

congrats there is nothing like smahing a can :rock hope no one was thirsty :laugh

so me and my friend grabbed some root beer cans...we tried it for about 10 minutes and no such luck at first, then we used a pair of thinner gloves and pop!...I had to make up an excuse why there was root beer all over my shirt...it was awsome...